eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
firesigngal
Community Member

cleaning hammered aluminum?

Does anyone think I can try cleaning hammered aluminum with simichrome?

Please use plain text.
highworld
Community Member

Re: cleaning hammered aluminum?

in reply to firesigngal

Isn't that a polish? I've never used it, and I've only ever heard of it as a competitor to Flitz.

I think of cleaning and polishing as two different things.

Kevin

I got a girl she lives on the block,
She kinda funky with her pink and black socks.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to highworld

I thought Bon Ami was the best cleaner for stainless?

Heather
Please use plain text.
titus730
Community Member

in reply to laurenjacksonmom

I have two hammered aluminum pieces and I've cleaned them in the dishwasher. They're pretty sturdy.

*************************************************************************************

Philadelphia! No sand, no hot tubs.
Please use plain text.
pheasantvillecollectables519
Community Member

in reply to titus730

Here's a link to an about.com article about collectible hammered aluminum with a section on cleaning. 

http://antiques.about.com/cs/otheraccessories/a/aa042303.htm

Please use plain text.
titus730
Community Member

in reply to pheasantvillecollectables519

Interesting article. I have a Rodney Kent piece and a Cromwell piece, both belonged to my mother. The Kent piece, a small handled tray with tulips, was made in massive amounts and thus goes for very little here.

*************************************************************************************

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to titus730

Washing aluminum items in the dishwasher will darken them beyond redemption. And it will ruin those Kensington Ware pieces almost immediately. Occasionally, extremely dirty ornate pieces get washed in a dishwasher but it is best to soak them in mile sudsy water and then use a soft brush to reach all the crevices.  

Aluminum wares with the motifs accented by darkening need to be left with the darkening intact. Do not attempt to remove it for it makes the pattern more attractive,

Do not use abrasives in cleaning.  Small light scratches may be removed with #0000 steel wool (which is used in furniture finishing) A good aluminum polish such as Mothers will make the piece look like new but some collectors prefer the softer appearance without the high gloss.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to firesigngal

Could you try a magic eraser?  I've used one on some Wendall August pieces of my own and have been happy with the results.  They're not terribly valuable so I wasn't nervous about ruining a piece. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to firesigngal

Is that a polish for automotive aluminum wheels? If it is for aluminum it should be safe. I use one called 'Mothers'. See earlier reply on cleaning aluminum for more details. A blog called the Aluminist has information for aluminum collectors and a book titled 'Hammered Aluminum Hand Wrought Collectibles Bk II is also a good reference.

Please use plain text.
titus730
Community Member

in reply to katlea

Washing aluminum items in the dishwasher will darken them beyond redemption.

I read that phosphate free dishwasher detergent will darken or blacken them but not regular detergent. For what it's worth mine hasn't darkened.

Please use plain text.