eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

authentication on Dooney and Bourke handbag

Hi, I have bought many Dooney and Bourke handbags and my last purchase was questionable due to the way the leather looked.It was rather stiff,did the burn test and it did make a mark but I cant say it melted.Because of the way the leather looked I started looking into other details about the purse.There is a brass tag on the front that says Dooney and Bourke 1975.Peeled edge back and the label is stitched.According to experts,1975 is pretag era.There is a tag in this bag,red,white, and tan?It says Dooney and Bourke Inc,and on the back is serial number J0097798.The tag is in the lower portion of the purse.My understanding is these tags indicate that it was made in China.It has a lining that looks like a mauve and white weave. The color is burgundy and the leather feels plastic but doesn't melt when I burn it.According to the experts all the stitches should be made of the same color of thread.It is that way on the outside of the purse but not on the inside pockets of the purse and underneath the handle area stiches are of two different threads.My question is since 1975 is pre tag era ,why does this purse have a tag and why is it in the lower portion of the purse instead of the upper portion where I am use to seeing it.Is that how its done in china?Furthermore is it possible that there is faux leather now on the market that passes the burn test?or is it possible that the leather was damaged on this purse by too much heat in storage.Furthermore, the info is conflicting about what is real and what is fake.Upon further inspection of my other Dooney and Bourke purses that I thought were marvelous I found yellow threading in one that I thought looked the best out of all of them.Am I missing something here.Why make a fake use real leather,brass etc,,, and have yellow stitches and bad stitching in the purse?Any suggestions would be appreciated

Please use plain text.
classring
Community Member

Re: authentication on Dooney and Bourke handbag

in reply to mirandcm123

You need to take pictures of all areas mentioned in your post and post them here.

No one here will authenticate based on a verbal description.

Terri

Please use plain text.
ari*s_secret
Community Member

in reply to mirandcm123

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOONEY-AND-BOURKE-RED-LEATHER-LARGE-ZIPPER-SAC-/321116099656?ViewItem=&item=...

That bag looks fine just like the newer lesser quality Dooney's

Hopefully one of the experts will stop by.

Please use plain text.
labbypaws
Community Member

in reply to mirandcm123

If it is the one posted, it looks fine.  It is not an older bag.

Please use plain text.
dvgvintage
Community Member

in reply to mirandcm123

I only know the newer Dooney's and the bag in the link is authentic.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

dvgvintage
Please use plain text.