eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • StubHub

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

What are the slow months for selling on ebay?

Hi,

Just wondering  -  what are the slow months for selling new and used clothes  on ebay?  November I sold the most I have sold in one month, but December is really slow.     I have switched to free shipping  so my prices have gone up and thought maybe that was why my sales have slowed down.   Should I be getting worried or is December just a slow month?

Please use plain text.
litgurl762012
Community Member

Re: What are the slow months for selling on ebay?

in reply to meteorshowergirl

From my own experience, December seems to be slower than November. I think it is because people are spending their money on presents for others. Usually that does not entail used clothing. I've learned from the fabulous posters on here that staying the course during the slow months is very beneficial.

There are some things that money cannot buy, like manners, morals, and intelligence.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

A lot of sellers are experiencing slow sales right now, so I think that's a big part of it.

Have you researched completed similars on some of your items? While your prices aren't unreasonable, a lot of similar items are selling for less and some retailers (Coldwater Creek, Liz, etc.) are practically giving stuff away so some of your items can be found brand new  for a similar price.

Hopefully, buyers will use some of their christmas money to shop on ebay--at least that's what I keep telling myself! Good luck, keep listing, at least you will have the listings ready to go when this slump ends. Also, from what I've read here, free shipping doesn't seem to be all that helpful. I would try reducing prices and charge actual shipping, see if that makes a difference. Good luck!

Please use plain text.
superior-quality4less
Community Member

December is the slowest month of the year for me. My sales drop drastically. Used clothing is not high on folks list for gifts. If you have new clothing, you may fare better.

Please use plain text.
unknown-shopper
Community Member

Dumb question of the day - what does EMUC mean?

--
....ebay shareholder/seller ''congratulated eBay on its new seller procedures, and said he's been a seller ''forever,'' and he's ''never had it so easy to sell.'', 5/14/14
Please use plain text.
borntosell2012
Community Member

I think Dec. was the slowest month for me last year, and it continued to be slow until Jan. Things picked up in Feb. That was from my last year sales. I didn't expect that much in Nov, Dec, Jan, however, Nov this year was slower than I expected. Sales depend on what I carry during those times too, since I carry different kinds of things . If l carry more of the NWT /accessories my sales are better than when I carry used items, or clothings.

Please use plain text.
kitkatscollections
Community Member

in reply to borntosell2012

The summer months used to be the slowest months for me.  I'm not sure,  things have changed on here. 

Please use plain text.
rixstuff
Community Member

in reply to kitkatscollections

I hate getting this as a reply but - it depends.  It depends on what you are selling on what your prices are on how many people are looking to buy what you have.  I have sold second hand year round and nicknacks in the summer.  I have never had a month where I didnt sell SOMETHING at least a third of what I listed.  I try different formats changing prices increasing descriptions and retaking photos if I have to.  Some folks CAN sell shorts in the dead of winter and sweaters in July but if you ONLY sell shorts and no sweaters in December that may be a factor.  Look at what the retail stores are offering - types of items styles colors seasonal - and try focusing on those.  Compare your prices and products to other sellers here to get ideas but dont be afraid to offer those things that are out in left field.  Just add them in with the seasonal. I sold tons of vintage jewelry in little gift boxes and they are on their way to someones stocking and used sparkly holiday party wear is off to more parties.  And the new and used scarves and hats are off to keep someone else warm.

So my answer is it depends.  If it looks like a "slow" month to you mix it up and try something else.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to unknown-shopper

Thanks for all the advice.   EMUC mean excellent mint used condition.  I don't know where I picked that up and I don't use it very often. 

Please use plain text.
rixstuff
Community Member

excellent mint used condition. Ow my head hurts!  Mint and used are mutually exclusive it is one or the other and never both!

Please use plain text.
unknown-shopper
Community Member

A suggestion? Skip the acronyms in the title if you can. The acronyms make it easy for you to say more - but you're writing the titles for the buyers who prolly aren't sellers. I know I had no idea even what NWT meant before I became a seller. Got spare spaces in your title? Add 'em in but use 'em as kind of a 'backup'.

--
....ebay shareholder/seller ''congratulated eBay on its new seller procedures, and said he's been a seller ''forever,'' and he's ''never had it so easy to sell.'', 5/14/14
Please use plain text.
lavendereuphoria
Community Member

I have to second the person that said....it depends.   I think it used to be slow for me in September and the first half of October, picking up into Christmas and continuing on until summer vacation when I would see a dip again in say, July.  But last summer I had good sales and this winter I saw a very slow November, which I haven't seen before in my recent memory.  So I think it really depends on a lot of factors, some are out of the control of the seller.  IMO.  If you know someone having really good sales in a very similar market one month and you are not, if you wait long enough it will probably swing your way  The whole secret to not getting frustrated on ebay is not relying on the daily sales as the dips up and down have gotten much more unpredictable lately.

Please use plain text.
rixstuff
Community Member

in reply to lavendereuphoria

I relisted items that have been hanging around since last year that got snapped up right away this year and some of the items I was sure would be hot items in December for holidays got nada.  Some items that sat like dead fish on another site ran out the door here and vice versa.  The vintage nobody here wanted got tons of interest on another site.  You just never know.

Please use plain text.