eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Best and cheapest way to ship clothes (jeans) in the us?

Hi im new to selling clothes and im starting off with mostly jeans. I was wondering whats the best and cheapest why to ship clothes in the us. My husband sells a lot of electronics on his site and he ships fedex. so he was not really much help on finding a best shipping for me lol.

Please use plain text.
stay*tuned*for*new*id
Community Member

Re: Best and cheapest way to ship clothes (jeans) in the us?

in reply to ronandazra

Anything 13 oz. and under can go in polymailers. Items like jeans that weigh more, padded flat rate envelopes are the way to go. Order them online  through the USPS site.

Please use plain text.
chapeau-noir
Community Member

in reply to ronandazra

Order a stack of padded flat rate envelopes from the USPS site.

Get a box of the 1 gallon and 2 gallon zip locks.

Neatly fold the jeans, slip into ziplock of appropriate size (little jeans in 1 gal, larger jeans in 2 gal), sit on ziplock to squeeze out air, zip shut, slip into padded flat rate, mail for $5.50 or so.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to ronandazra

They will fit in a standard Priority Mail flat rate envelope up to a certain size. I just fit a pair of size 10 women's jeans in one today.

Fold in half length wise so that one leg is over the other. Then, fold bottom of leg up 1/3 of the way and fold top of jean down 1/3 of the way. After that, I wrap in plastic wrap and put in the envelope. Remember - if it fits, it ships.

If you aren't comfortable with the FRE, Regional box A or 4 x 4 x 4 box O will work well, too.

I've considered the Padded FRE but in over 2000 shipments, approximately 800 of them in standard FRE, I have never had a single complaint about packaging and standard FRE is $4.95 these days if purchased through ebay/paypal.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ronandazra

thanks for the quick replys. I know how much shipping can make or break a deal. so i wanted to make sure the customers where getting good prices on shipping and that im not overchargeing.

once again thanks for the help from both of you!!! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
2goodeyestoo
Community Member

in reply to ronandazra
For me, denim is a hard sell. Its a particular buyer. Maybe it will different for you? Welcome
Always place a HAPPY price on your items. You never know, one of your buyers may be HAPPY to buy it from you.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 2goodeyestoo

"For me, denim is a hard sell."

Even though I sold a pair today for over $35, I couldn't agree with you more. I buy in bulk and denim is part of the deal but it's definitely our slowest category of sales. I'm just thankful that it's never a big portion of the bulk lots I purchase.

However, I do have a friend that specializes in plus sizes and she can't keep jeans in stock.

Please use plain text.
lending_a_hand
Community Member

in reply to ronandazra

USPS First Class Parcel is generally the way to go for clothes when you can bring the entire package weight in under 13 ounces. That may be difficult for some styles/sizes of jeans, so the next best thing would be Priority Mail. (And that's where you'll end up for combined orders as well.) First Class postage is based on weight in ounces.

For the items you can ship at the First Class rate, Poly Bags are a good way to pack. Tyvek envelopes are OK too, but poly bags tend to be cheaper and easy to find in a variety of sizes.

For the items that are too heavy for First Class, the USPS has a few different free Priority Mail shipping supplies that work great. In general, Priority Mail postage is based on weight in pounds and the delivery zone.

Look into the Padded Flat Rate Envelopes. If it can fit inside one of those, then it will ship at the same rate, no matter how heavy it is, or how far within the U.S. it is traveling.

For jeans that can't fit in the padded flat rate envelope, the USPS has Tyvek Mailers available too.  They'll fit a little more than the padded mailers, but they will also ship based on weight and delivery zone.

Spend some time perusing the usps website. The "store" has the priority shipping supplies you can order at no charge (but also has stuff you have to pay for, so be careful when clicking). And the shipping calculator and pricing charts will give you some idea what you'll be up against.

Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to lending_a_hand

FYI, it can take a few days to get the PFRE from the post office and they are not available at most local PO's so you probably want to have them on hand before putting it on your listings that you will ship that method. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to somanystoressolittletime2007

Be sure to order a bunch of region A boxes too. If your buyers are in a close zone, sometimes it's just as cheap or only .10-.25 more to just put them in a Region A box and ship them. I love region A boxes and padded flat rate envelopes.

Please use plain text.
makinmagic
Community Member

in reply to ronandazra

Yep, padded fat rae envelopes is the best way to sip jeans, I can't fit pretty much any size in there, even plus size.

Ifyou don't have them on hand, you can use regular flat rate envelopes, jeans fit there just fine unless they're plus size.

Please use plain text.
thrifty*dog
Community Member

in reply to makinmagic

fat rae envelopes is the best way to sip jeans

OK, that made me giggle.  :womanlol:

"Life's hard. It's even harder if you're stupid" ~ John Wayne
Please use plain text.
mika.kitty
Community Member

in reply to forum_use_id

I find denim a hard sell, too. I usually don't buy to resell unless it's a brand that always sells well for me.

Please use plain text.
mika.kitty
Community Member

in reply to mika.kitty

Also, I only recently learned about Priority flat rate padded envelopes. I must have been living in the dark ages. I ordered some and they took FOREVER to come. I will be using them from now on, though. I used the Tyvek Priority mailed previously and never had an issue.

Please use plain text.
pantlandia
Community Member

in reply to mika.kitty

I've shipped a pair of jeans or two in my day....Priority Padded Flat Rate Envelopes are the way to go. Gallon size zip locks bags, squeeze the air out and they will fit in perfectly. When I ran out before I got the other ones in, I was able to get them in the regular Priority Flat Rate envelope. I had to fold them differently and use two of the gallon zip lock bags.

Please use plain text.