eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Best Way to Ship a Blazer or Sport Coat

Hi there, I don't ship a lot of clothes (not really my specialty).  But I have two quite nice mens sport coats to sell.

However, these strike me as being easy to get thrashed if they're not shipped well.  And I'm kind of a fanatic about safe, secure shipping on my items.

What is a good best practice to ship such a thing without it getting bent, wrinkled, etc?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
mupcycledcouture
Community Member

Re: Best Way to Ship a Blazer or Sport Coat

in reply to aragorn4692

The only way to send them without them getting wrinkled is in a box. However I send mine in tyvek envelopes routinely and have never had a damage issue. I doulbe bag all my items. they go into a clear plastic bag and then into the Tyvek mailing bag. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to aragorn4692

I would use a region A box (just choose the 2lb priority shipping rate for the postage price in ebay) and fold them with some tissue, bag them and put them in a box.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to peek*a*boutique

You can actually select Regional Rate box A if shipping from ebay. No weight required. I do it all the time for shipping shoes.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to forum_use_id

Thanks!  I'll use the "Bag it, then Box it" method recommended.

And I can't believe I'm asking this question after a year of selling on Ebay... but here goes...

What exactly is a Regional Rate Box?  I was always scared off by the description because I assumed you had to use it to ship to certain regions.  And since I didn't know where my buyer would be from, I've never used it.

I've always used Parcel Select, Priority Mail, or Fed Ex.  Never Regional Rate Box.

Am I missing the boat?

Please use plain text.
designeratdiscount
Community Member

in reply to coolbeansjamaica

Regional Rate is flat-rate based on zone (not weight).

If you are shipping nearby, Regional Rate A is sometimes cheaper than Flat Rate Envelope. You have to order them from USPS - they are free - but most local offices do not keep them in stock.

If you are shipping across the country, regular Priority in a plain box is likely cheaper than Regional Rate. Just go to USPS website and do calculate a price and try a few different zip codes to check the rate.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to aragorn4692

Hi aragorn. I find the secret is in the folding and then packing it in something that minimizes the amount it can move around.

I can get some blazers into a flat rate bubble mailer, but there's a pricepoint at which a buyer may think that it looks bad, even though it's perfectly safe.  So I favor the Region A box.

When listing, just set your weight for 2 pounds and the calculator will be okay for when you go to ship in a region A box.

You have to order the boxes online at USPS.  If you haven't order online before, you have to create an account (it's free).  Go to SHOP and Order Supplies and then select Priority  (not flat rate)    You can get flat rate bubble mailers online too.

Shipping is free.

It's a great bargain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ex Policy Monkey now just another addlepated poster who can't find or explain a gosh darned thing
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to city*satins

Suggest the bag and box also.

When you go to USPS I would suggest that you order Regional A and Regional B. And while you are at it you could get some Padded Mailers too, they are always handy to have.

And if you end up with more boxes or mailers than you need you can always leave them at the local Post office., Someone will find them and be happy to have them

Also, with the blazer (or coat) it's a good idea to turn them inside out before packing them. Minimizes wear from rubbing.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to city*satins

Interesting comment from city*satins about certain packaging that "looks bad."  The other day, I sold a pair of brand new jeans with tags and they were big & tall (sz 50 waist).  So I had to roll them tight as a sausage and stuff them into a padded mailer. I kind of felt bad and I hoped he wouldn't mind having new jeans rolled up tight - but I figured what harm could be done to jeans?

I ended up getting great, positive feedback on the item but it did make me feel a bit uncomfortable while I was doing it.  :smileyhappy:

I'm totally in tune with the USPS free boxes/envelopes.  I love it!  But I've never ordered the Regional Boxes.  That will change now - I'll give them a try!

Please use plain text.
chapeau-noir
Community Member

in reply to coolbeansjamaica

coolbeansjamaica wrote:

Interesting comment from city*satins about certain packaging that "looks bad."  The other day, I sold a pair of brand new jeans with tags and they were big & tall (sz 50 waist).  So I had to roll them tight as a sausage and stuff them into a padded mailer. I kind of felt bad and I hoped he wouldn't mind having new jeans rolled up tight - but I figured what harm could be done to jeans?

I ended up getting great, positive feedback on the item but it did make me feel a bit uncomfortable while I was doing it.  :smileyhappy:

I'm totally in tune with the USPS free boxes/envelopes.  I love it!  But I've never ordered the Regional Boxes.  That will change now - I'll give them a try!

There's a big difference between simple jeans, and a sport coat with tailoring, interfacing and a full lining.  No one, really, cares if jeans are crammed into a padded envelope, they're only jeans and they're grateful for the economical shipping.  A tailored garment is another matter.  I use regional As a lot, but live on the coast and shipping from here is prohibitive without using every single option available.

Please use plain text.
highworld
Community Member

in reply to chapeau-noir

The accepted "best way" if you don't do the volume to invest in specialized packaging, is actually pretty ugly.

It involves turning the the whole jacket inside out and shoving one shoulder up inside the other to start.

I forget what all after that, but there are a bunch of videos of it on youtube.

Kevin

I got a girl she lives on the block,
She kinda funky with her pink and black socks.
Please use plain text.
delilah9847
Community Member

in reply to aragorn4692
Mybsport jackets go in a small gift box then in the flat rate padded env. Fits PERFECT! :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
delilah9847
Community Member

in reply to aragorn4692
*my sport* sry! (Smartphones pshhh)
Please use plain text.
chapeau-noir
Community Member

in reply to delilah9847

delilah9847 wrote:
Mybsport jackets go in a small gift box then in the flat rate padded env. Fits PERFECT! :smileyvery-happy:

Do you mean sport coats (i.e., like suit coats or blazer type tailoring) or warmup jackets?  Way different. The sport coats are way bulkier.

Please use plain text.
highworld
Community Member

in reply to delilah9847

delilah9847 wrote:

I can't make heads or tails of these smileys.

I need one of a guy having an aneurysm and his eyeball blowing out.

Do they have to put it in water when they get it to expand it?

Kevin

I got a girl she lives on the block,
She kinda funky with her pink and black socks.
Please use plain text.
delilah9847
Community Member

in reply to aragorn4692
Lol!!
Yes. Like a blazer. I do believe OP Was referring to a blazer/sport coat.
Please use plain text.
delilah9847
Community Member

in reply to aragorn4692
Thicker materials like wool could be tricky though.
Please use plain text.
chapeau-noir
Community Member

in reply to delilah9847

OK, I wasn't sure if the subject had expanded and you were talking about warmup sport jacket or sport coat.  The only way I can see getting a sport coat into a flat rate envelope is with a tire iron and a bucket of axle grease.  I did get an unlined 3X cord jean jacket into a PFRE once, but I crammed it into a 2 gal ziplock and then at on it - it looked liked freeze dried clothing, then I muscled it in.  The DH was calling me Cramzilla.  My buyer was super happy though - most other people wanted $11 to ship one and I got hers to her for $5.50.

Please use plain text.
homecomforts
Community Member

in reply to aragorn4692

I agree with ordering Regional A boxes for this type of item. I double bag a lot and send many items in a tyvek or padded flat rate. But you might want to go the extra mile with these sports jackets as you mention they are "quite nice".

***********************************************************************************************************************************************
eBay is not one size fits all. There is no shame in selling low end items nor glory in high end designers. Money is one color: green
************************************************************************************************************************************************
Please use plain text.
wardrobe*oxygen
Community Member

in reply to highworld

Its takes less than 30 seconds to turn a jacket in half and then shove one shoulder inside the other.  The RRA boxes can be a tight fit on jackets, depth wise.

Please use plain text.