eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • StubHub

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Does ebay charge sales tax?

Does eBay charge sales tax on transactions? A seller has told me that ebay will add sales tax to the total and I beleive this is a ploy to get me to complete the transaction outside of of eBay.

Other Answers: 7
mr_lees_deals
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sureshotsd

eBay only charges sellers fees for using eBay. eBay allows sellers to use tax table charts for sellers to clooect sales tax for items sold to buyers in their own state or any state they have a business presence in.

So if you are in the same state as that seller, and he collects sales tax, yes you will see the tax added when you pay.

Regardless or whethe there is tax or not, unless you use eBay checkout, you will have no buyer protection.

LC

“Every sale has five basic obstacles: no need, no money, no hurry, no desire, no trust.” Zig Ziglar
kraloe
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sureshotsd

Ploy? (Not Ply.)

mrsmtn
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sureshotsd

No. Individual sellers may charge sales tax if:

they are registered as a business in their state, and

the buyer is also in the state where they have a business presence.

The seller's reason does not matter -- do not involve yourself in an off-eBay transaction.  It's a violation and you will have no buyer protection.

kraloe
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sureshotsd

Ply? How do you figure? Sales tax gets added in listings set up that way, by sellers who are obligated to collect sales tax from buyers in their state--how is that "outside of eBay"?

You haven't even bought anything from a CA seller recently, so how is this issue even coming up?

sureshotsd
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sureshotsd

Issue resolved. Seller WAS trying to get me to purchase outside of ebay by claimng I would avoid the sales tax that ebay would charge on the transaction.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to sureshotsd

eBay doesn't charge sales tax because EBAY DOESN'T SELL ANYTHING !

Individual sellers sell here, and some of them may be required to charge sales tax.  Most aren't.

"Ignorance is no excuse. Unless I'm wrong."
Community Member
Answered
in reply to sureshotsd

Good catch, sureshot !  B-)

"Ignorance is no excuse. Unless I'm wrong."