eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

eBay Does NOT Accept My Visa Credit Card

I don't know what's the problem but I am unable to use my Visa credit card here on eBay. I get the message that I should try using a different Credit/Debit card--yet the problem is that this is the only Credit/Debit card I own. I have been using this same Visa credit card for years on Amazon.com--making scores of purchases within the past year--some as recent as a few days ago--with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Anyone experienced the same problem?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: eBay Does NOT Accept My Visa Credit Card

in reply to tech808

I thought I should add that I always pay off my balance every single month and have never been late on a credit card payment--EVER! If this problem isn't resolved--I'll stick exclusively with Amazon.com.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to tech808

Another problem I have just become aware of is I read somewhere that if a buyer commits to purchasing an item here on eBay--he/she may receive a bad review for not following through on a payment. I have already committed to purchasing 2 items and am eagerly willing to pay for and receive the items for which I have agreed to purchasing. Unfortunately, what am I to do since my Visa credit card--which I have successfully used earlier today on Blockbuster.com--has been rejected here on eBay? I just created an eBay account earlier today--and by the looks of things I doomed from the start--LOL!

Apologies for replying to my OP since I'm not able to edit my original post.

Please use plain text.
babylove80jr
Community Member

in reply to tech808

OP, since you just started here on ebay, you should have taken the buyer tutorial BEFORE you started buying.

Are you signed up for Paypal?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to tech808

Thanks for replying babylove. So do you mean to say that everyone is required to use Paypal? I've never had to sign up for Paypal to purchase items on other sites such as Amazon.com. so I am baffled as to why prospective buyers must jump through hoops just to make a simple purchase.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to tech808

Is ebay flipping kidding me?  I have the same experience!  Won't take my Visa Card, and yes I to have been buying item off of Amazon for years and it is amazing.  And ebay will not take my money!  Are they flipping kidding me!  Flipping mad after setting up account for no flipping reason as I have no way to pay.  And no, I have no interest in paypal.  Why wound I?  I can find the item somewhere else.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to tech808

Is it possible that your card has expired?  Is it possible that the seller is not set up to accept credit cards outside of through PayPal?

Remember that you aren't purchasing from eBay itself, but rather from someone selling on eBay.  The only thing eBay sells is advertising space to seller's on the site.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Please use plain text.
babylove80jr
Community Member

in reply to tech808
How are you trying to check out? Are you using PayPal or the sellers personal checkout system?

As far as "bad reviews" go, buyers haven't been able to receive negative feedback since about 2008. But if you don't pay, you may get an unpaid item strike. Ebay will usually forgive the first one.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to tech808

Tech...

Maybe Ebay has changed the rules recently?  Up until now, there have been many buyers who have not signed up for PayPal, who have successfully paid for their Ebay purchases exclusively through their Credit Cards.  For years.  HOWEVER, Ebay does eventually cuts them off and insists that they sign up for PayPal.  (they get spending limits on cards--of $10,000 or so.)

When that happens, those buyers ARE allowed to keep paying through their Credit Cards--they just have to click on "pay by card" at the time of Check out.

So, you could sign up for  a PayPal "account"---and then just use use your CC each time at Checkout.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to tech808
I had PayPal account long ago, lost Pswd/ID and PayPal won't let me create a new account. I don't like PayPal, never did, I'll buy from some other source.
Please use plain text.