eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Happy Thanksgiving

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

What does without contract mean?

I see tons of phones for sale where they're described by the seller as "without contract". Does this mean that the buyer can activate the phone on the carrier's network without having to obligate themselves to a new contract with the carrier?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: What does without contract mean?

in reply to jmmlaw
Yes that means you can just activate the phone and start using it. No signing your life away for another 2yrs to a carrier.
Please use plain text.
gporpc
Community Member

in reply to jmmlaw
Mant users of cell phones think they have to get a replacement from the service provider, nothing is further from the truth.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jmmlaw
I see tons of phones for sale where they're described by the seller as "without contract". Does this mean that the buyer can activate the phone on the carrier's network without having to obligate themselves to a new contract with the carrier?
An example: you can buy a t-mobile phone in the store or on ebay, you can also buy a t-mobile sim card and register for a 'pay as you go' t-mobile plan and get a phone number with t-mobile. No contract needed. Most carriers offer a 'pay as you go'plan and offer phones to go with it. If you buy the phone on ebay, you just have to find the right phone to go with the plan you want, or vice versa. The more you know about the carrier and their phones, the better.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jmmlaw
Total newbie here. What is the difference between an iphone 3G (verizon) and an iphone 3G (at&t). Are iphones actually compatible with only one or another carrier?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jmmlaw

someone please help me?? i just puchased a new sprint phone from ebay this morning and the person selling it just messged me and said that the phone cannot be activated with sprint. why is that and sprint is the carrier?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jmmlaw

There is no such thing as a Verizon iPhone 3G. The iPhone 3G was only released on AT&T in the US.

There is a Verizon and AT&T iPhone 4.  The iPhone 4 for AT&T is only compatible with AT&T but can also be unlocked to use sim cards from other networks like T-Mobile.

The Verizon iPhone 4 is CDMA (does not use sim cards) and can only be used on Verizon.  Though some people have flashed them to work on Cricket and Metro PCS.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jmmlaw

danaja11, your phone can't be activated on Sprint because it has a bad ESN.  Meaning it has been reported either lost or stolen.  I recommend you get your money back from the seller since there is no way you will be able to use it on Sprint's network.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jmmlaw

I just bought a phone for Sprint that said NO CONTRACT is this pre paid or just mean doesn't come with the contract PLEASE help!!!!! thank you

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jmmlaw

I am an international student who is tight in cell phone budget. I don't like to sign 2 year contract either. I don't have long enough credit history and thus I don't pass the AT&T and T-Mobile credit check. To get their services, I will need to pay for $500 deposit per phone number. On the other hand, I search for pre-paid plans but it turns that it is more expensive than the contract plan given that I use text message quite often and talk mostly on the weekends.

I found this website

nocontractphoneplan.com

where I sign up for their service. They are flash wireless network, which doesn't require any contract nor credit check. Their price is quite affordable. I am pretty happy on the signal strength at my location. I think you may consider this option when you shop for your cell phone service.

Good luck and take care.

Please use plain text.