eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
SOMEONE PLEASE tell me what "trade cloth" means!!! I just want DECENT, USED HARDCOVER books (not mini-books), & can't find this answer

Someone please tell me what "trade cloth" means!!  I just want decent, hardcover, used books.  Is anyone THERE  NOW that can help me? I find eBay and Half.com the HARDEST place on the web to find answers, or to find a live chat.  If anyone can help me, PLEASE, ASAP!!  Thank you so very, very MUCH!!  Monica Heath

Other Answers: 6
glenda
Community Member
Answered
in reply to mh1crochet

Here's info from a related discussion:

Trade Cloth is the standard hardcover binding. High-circulation books have a higher-quality binding called "library hardcover," but trade cloth is fine for privately owned books.

When you walk into a bookstore, the "hardcover" books you see for sale there for $27.95 or so are all trade cloth books. You don't have need for library binding, as it costs about 50% more, and is almost never sold over the counter in bookstores.

FYI, Live Chat at eBay or half.com would never be able to give you an opinion about what "trade cloth" or any other item descriptor is.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to mh1crochet

There's an amazing thing called google.  If you type a search in it, it generally returns an answer faster than yelling at people who provide free help on forums.

I searched "what is a trade cloth book?" there were answers from at least 2003 about this.  

I hope no one finds this response rude; it isn't intended to be.  

Community Member
Answered
in reply to mh1crochet

Funny how we interpret things differently. I read your question and only saw someone who really, really wanted an answer. Kudos to glenda who answered well without judging. I learned the answer to the question I had about it too.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to mh1crochet

I spent 8 years working in a main stream bookstore and never heard or used the term Trade Cloth.  A Trade book is an oversized paperback not the standard smaller size we are all so used to for mass market fiction. CLoth I have only ever heard, in the store and with a friend who was an antiques book dealer, as referring to the type of hardcover a book has.  I can't imagine where Ebay got their term.

2014bondr
Community Member
Answered
in reply to mh1crochet

Hardcover is the same as tradecloth with or without dust jacket.

Sincerely,

Erika

mh1crochet wrote:

Someone please tell me what "trade cloth" means!!  I just want decent, hardcover, used books.  Is anyone THERE  NOW that can help me? I find eBay and Half.com the HARDEST place on the web to find answers, or to find a live chat.  If anyone can help me, PLEASE, ASAP!!  Thank you so very, very MUCH!!  Monica Heath

Community Member
Answered
in reply to mh1crochet

"Trade cloth " as you wrote it refers to a heavy wool cloth made in England for the fur trade in America.  It also includes several lighter weight materials.  If you had specified Trade cloth Books you would have gotten the answer you needed.

Bob