eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Password Pop-up Window? Is this from Ebay?

I've been listing items for the past couple hours to take advantage of the free listings today, however for the past couple of minutes I've been getting a pop-up window that keeps opening on me.

The window pops up and says the following:

A username and password are being requested by http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com. The site says: "FE Build-A-Pool PROD Auth"

Then it has a couple of boxes to type in a username and password.  Is this being sent from ebay?  Or maybe possible hacking of my account?

Other Answers: 9
xcergy
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tunstlestreasures

I got this error last night as well.  It is an eBay glitch duplicated on more then one browser.  Reported to an eBay CS supervisor. Hopefully now resolved, as I was able to cancel, then tried again w no errors, but it WAS a scare to be sure.

---------

Keith aka xcergy

a bonded seller

We have the eXCess enERGY to complete your day!
Community Member
Answered

That would not be from Ebay.  It sounds like your computer is infected with spyware.  Run your virus scan/spyware remover.

pjs_toybox
Community Member
Answered

I'm getting this now.  Anyone know if I need to do something on my end.

Community Member
Answered

I got the same message with a different web page for the "requested by" part (I'm guessing because I was coming from Paypal to make a payment):

A username and password are being requested by https://payments.ebay.com. The site says: "FE Build-A-Pool PROD Auth"

I closed the browser & ran Malwarebytes--it didn't find anything but now that pop up isn't showing up any more.

I'm not sure if the scan coming back clean is good news or bad news...

I've seen reports of this same pop up on the Germany, UK & Australian forums, but no one with much info about the name of what I assume is a virus or how to be sure if I am rid of it.

Anyone got more info?

Community Member
Answered

Had problems for the last few hours looking at the thumbnails on Ebay listings. I rec'd a pop up message "A user name and password are being requested by http://i.ebayimg.com. The site says: FE Build-A-Pool PROD Auth"

and

a box for my user name and password.

Contacted support, they had me clean the history cache, but I had cleared it prior to the pop up message appearing. The tech didn't mentioni anything serious but it didn't happen anyone while I was on the phone with him. What's up?

Thanks CK

Community Member
Answered

Had problems for the last few hours looking at the thumbnails on Ebay listings. I rec'd a pop up message "A user name and password are being requested by http://i.ebayimg.com. The site says: FE Build-A-Pool PROD Auth"

and

a box for my user name and password.

Contacted support, they had me clean the history cache, but I had cleared it prior to the pop up message appearing. The tech didn't mentioni anything serious but it didn't happen anyone while I was on the phone with him. What's up?

Thanks CK

n.k.n.i
Community Member
Answered

Exactly the same thing has just happened to me. I was trying to upload pictures for my auction it said

A username and password are being requested by http://i.ebayimg.com. The site says: "FE Build-A-Pool PROD Auth".

Is there a way to fix this.?

T.I.A

bcgreatness
Community Member
Answered

same thing happening here. Was worried it was bad news. Have been posting pics trying to create an auction and some pics were failed then I would get the pop up.

Community Member
Answered

Thanks xcergy--they said it was actually an ebay glitch!?!  Crazy--I had seen other threads on the topic that have since been deleted from ebay forums but nothing that explained what happened.  Guess they were aiming to keep it a secret. :-)