eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

What to do when you have item not as described, and other issues?

Recently purchased a leather jacket.  The seller charged for priority mail.   The seller does not ship by use of priority but does not tell me it was just sent standard mail.  After so many days, I open a case for item missing, not delivered.  I inform seller I would rather have the item so I give it a few more days.  Now this item comes, this leather jacket. I have not yet closed the case for item not delivered, because I am not sure I can then open a new case for item not being as described.  The leather jacket is not a leather jacket.   This jacket was also sold as a new without tags item.  The jacket has a pencil eraser sized hole on the bottom of one of the sleeves and shows signs of being worn. It is a plastic jacket.

So my question is, if I close the item not received case, can I then open the case for item not as described? My concern is that if I close the case for item not delivered that I would not be able to open a case for item not as described.   I have attempted to contact the seller to let them know of all my concerns, and that I have taken pictures of everything.  The seller has not yet responded.

Please use plain text.
christine3991
Community Member

Re: What to do when you have item not as described, and other issues?

in reply to 2258cynthia

Just Return the Jacket .

Please use plain text.
buyfeybelle
Community Member

in reply to 2258cynthia

Don't close the case.  You need to switch it to SNAD instead of INR but I can't tell you how to do that, so unless it's clear or you already know how, wait up and let another poster tell you how.

Please use plain text.
fshardy
Community Member

in reply to buyfeybelle

There used to be a function right on the case where one could switch it from INR to SNAD, but it's been a long time, and I"m not honestly sure if it was on disputes here or at PayPal.

The OP might want to consider calling CS and seeing if they can switch the dispute for him before the bots discover the delivery (if tracked).

Please use plain text.
in.a.nutshe11
Community Member

in reply to buyfeybelle

As buyfey said, don't close the case.  You need to change it to a significantly not as described.

The seller is new and apparently not off to a good start. 

Annoying and against policy to ship a slower and cheaper method.  That is one of my pet peeves. 

Please use plain text.
buyfeybelle
Community Member

in reply to fshardy

fshardy wrote:

There used to be a function right on the case where one could switch it from INR to SNAD, but it's been a long time, and I"m not honestly sure if it was on disputes here or at PayPal.

The OP might want to consider calling CS and seeing if they can switch the dispute for him before the bots discover the delivery (if tracked).

Very good idea if you have not already to changed it to SNAD OP.

I hate to, but I have to address the "Just return it" comment for buyers that may not know - Buyers must have the seller's permission through eBay messages, an open case with eBay instructing them to return the item or if the seller is enrolled in it, use the managed returns to return an item.  Otherwise they can void BPP and buyer is left without a refund, so please don't ever just return something without seller's or eBay's permission. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 2258cynthia

2258cynthia wrote:

So my question is, if I close the item not received case, can I then open the case for item not as described? My concern is that if I close the case for item not delivered that I would not be able to open a case for item not as described.   I have attempted to contact the seller to let them know of all my concerns, and that I have taken pictures of everything.  The seller has not yet responded.

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/917/ebayinrtosnadrespond.gif

Please use plain text.
delilah9847
Community Member

in reply to 2258cynthia
Helinsko hit the nail on the head. "I have received my item but it is not as described"
Please use plain text.
deltamaster
Community Member

in reply to delilah9847

Is it for the brown women's jacket, NW/O tags?

No need for all the discussion and turmoil and filing claims of SNAD and all that.

Seller offers hassle free returns.  Just follow the process outlined in the instructions.

• How do I return an item using eBay hassle-free returns?

• To start a return, find the item in the Purchase history section of My eBay. Select Return this item and click View returns details from the More actions drop-down menu.
    • Select the reason for the return. You'll see your anticipated refund amount.
    • Print a return shipping label and packing slip.
    • Pack the item carefully. Include the packing slip, affix the shipping label, and send the item back to the seller within 5 business days of starting the return. You can drop the package off at the post office or schedule a pickup with the US Postal Service.
    • You can track the status of the returned item in the Purchase history section of My eBay. The seller will issue your refund after receiving the returned item.
The Muffin Man says.."BAD JD!..Bad doggie!!!" with rolled up newspaper in hand!

Happy thoughts for a Happy Life!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to deltamaster

deltamaster wrote:

No need for all the discussion and turmoil and filing claims of SNAD and all that.

Seller offers hassle free returns.  Just follow the process outlined in the instructions.

• You must not have opened an eBay Buyer Protection case or PayPal Purchase Protection case regarding the purchase or filed a chargeback on the credit card associated with your PayPal account.
Please use plain text.
deltamaster
Community Member

in reply to henright

henright wrote:

deltamaster wrote:

• You must not have opened an eBay Buyer Protection case or PayPal Purchase Protection case regarding the purchase or filed a chargeback on the credit card associated with your PayPal account.

I would hope that the INR case would be mutually exclusive of any use of the return process.  I would try the return process first and see if that works before I got in to all the rigamarole of a SNAD claim.  Worth a try anyway.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to deltamaster

From seller basics -----

Hassle-free returns: Using the eBay returns process
In this article

The eBay returns process gives you and your buyers a simple and efficient way to handle returns. Understand the requirements and follow the process steps to ensure smooth and professional transactions with your buyers.

Eligibility

To be eligible to opt in to the return process your account must be in good standing.

Once you're opted in to the eBay returns process, there are additional requirements for a sale to be eligible. The return process can be used when:

• An item is listed and sold on eBay.com. You can be registered on any eBay site.

• You specify in the Return policy section of the listing that you accept returns.

• You haven't already issued a refund for the transaction through PayPal.

• A buyer uses the process to start a return within your specified return time frame.

• A buyer pays for the item with PayPal. 

• A buyer hasn't opened an eBay Buyer Protection or PayPal Purchase Protection case, or requested a refund on the credit card associated with the buyer's PayPal account.

• A buyer wants a full refund or a replacement—not a partial refund or exchange.

• A buyer hasn't been suspended from the return process.

• An item is listed in a category covered by eBay Buyer Protection.

• A return is US-based. (Both a buyer's address and your primary return address are in the US.)

If you don't have a US return address, you can still opt in to the eBay returns process, but your buyer won't be able to print a return shipping label on eBay.com

If a buyer tries to return an ineligible item using the eBay returns process, we'll ask the buyer to contact you directly.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to worthlesswife

Seller has 3 feedback.

Is eBay automatically opting new sellers into "hassle-free" returns?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to worthlesswife

Thank you and thanks to everyone.  I was able to have the resolution center swap out the item not delivered to item not as described, took some pictures to add to the case and I am sure I will be O.K. now!  I was not 100 % sure how to do this as it is a first time for me, but got it covered.  Thank you!

Please use plain text.
deltamaster
Community Member

in reply to 2258cynthia

2258cynthia wrote:

Thank you and thanks to everyone.  I was able to have the resolution center swap out the item not delivered to item not as described, took some pictures to add to the case and I am sure I will be O.K. now!  I was not 100 % sure how to do this as it is a first time for me, but got it covered.  Thank you!

Good luck.  I hope things work out well for you.

Please use plain text.