eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

macmak
Community Member
Accepted Solution

Seller claims cannot adjust invoice once it has been submitted. True?

I bought multiple items from what I consider a highly regarded seller (100% feedback on over 700 transactions). First item shippng was standard cost, but seller stated would combine multiple items for $1 each additional item (I bought 4 items.) The shipping costs the seller invoiced me for was double the amount stated in his ad, when I emailed seller about this he replied "once you submit an invoice eBay won't let you resubmit/change the invoice."

Anyone know if this is true?

He states I should pay the invoice and he will reimburse me at later date, which i am hesitant to do.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Seller claims cannot adjust invoice once it has been submitted. True?

in reply to macmak

They can't combine if you have PAID. If you have NOT paid, they can send a revised invoice.

For combined shipping discounts to be applied automatically, the seller has to set up shipping discounts prior to the sale and the buyer has to pay for all items at once using eBay checkout.

You can also offer combined shipping discounts after a sale.

• Before the buyer pays for the items, you can combine the items on a single invoice. On the combined invoice, you can revise the shipping cost to show a discounted price.
  • If the buyer has already paid for the item, you can't combine it with other purchases. However, you can combine any remaining items or send a revised invoice for a single item. On the revised invoice, you can enter a discount in the Seller discounts or charges box.
---------------------
Total No. of Sales 7/14 (8); 8/14 (11), 9/14 (9)
Please use plain text.
macmak
Community Member

in reply to llllady

Thank you -- so by your answer I'm taking it the seller is either not tellng the truth? Or is mistaken?

I haven't paid yet, the seller sent me a combined invoice BUT the shippng amount was double what was stated in his ad ($2 per item vs. $1 per item) -- When I brought the mater to his attention he stated "eBay will not allow me to RESUBMIT/CHANGE an invoice I already submitted.

I believe by your answer that you are saying the buyer should be able to recalculate and resubmit a new invoice as long as I have not paid -- Just want to double check this is what you are saying before I reply to the seller with a claim that he is mistaken.

Thank you again

Please use plain text.
lookng2015
Community Member

in reply to macmak
The seller may not know where to find the selection to send a second invoice. They don't make it user friendly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley

"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to macmak

Actually the way I read it the seller is telling you thr truth. The one time I did that they told me the only way to send a new invoice with already invoiced items was through paypal. The buyer never even saw the new paypal and just paid the two eBay purchases. If I read that correctly, and what I was told by eBay, was if you already invoiced something you can't invoive it again any longer (used to be able to) but you can adjust the second invoice to include a discount that would equal what shipping would be. But that hurts the seller because of two paypal fees.... so they may not be inclined to.

Please use plain text.
macmak
Community Member

in reply to ednbarb5

Thanks everyone!  I poured over the sellers reviews and he certainly seems to be the kind of seller who cares, so I have opted to accpet the answer at face value, and if I get reimbursed, good -- if not, $3 lesson learned :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
imagebyroberts2
Community Member

in reply to ednbarb5

ednbarb5 wrote:

Actually the way I read it the seller is telling you thr truth. The one time I did that they told me the only way to send a new invoice with already invoiced items was through paypal. The buyer never even saw the new paypal and just paid the two eBay purchases. If I read that correctly, and what I was told by eBay, was if you already invoiced something you can't invoive it again any longer (used to be able to) but you can adjust the second invoice to include a discount that would equal what shipping would be. But that hurts the seller because of two paypal fees.... so they may not be inclined to.

This is NOT true.  We adjust prices for buyers all of the time.. EVEN if we have already invoiced them once before.  Sometimes buyers add additional quantities and they need a second revised invoice. 

If a buyer PAYS before we adjust the invoice and the buyer buys more items,  then they have to start with a new invoice.  You can still combine all of the items in one parcel and refund the difference through PayPal.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to imagebyroberts2

You can adjust and send as many invoices as you want , Its an easy deal.

Please use plain text.
anthonysgifts
Community Member

in reply to macmak

I've had a heck of a time redoing an invoice that has already been submitted! Easy peasy lemon squeezy it is NOT.  If there is an easy way, i would sooooooooooooo appreciate hearing about it!!!!!

Please use plain text.
cynthealee2
Community Member

in reply to anthonysgifts

anthonysgifts wrote:

I've had a heck of a time redoing an invoice that has already been submitted! Easy peasy lemon squeezy it is NOT.  If there is an easy way, i would sooooooooooooo appreciate hearing about it!!!!!

Ditto!!

It used to be real easy... now not so much... I sent 3 invoices this weekend for combined purchases  I checked when I first found this thread and I couldn't figure out how I would resend it had I messed it up to begin with. 

I wanna know too!!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cynthealee2

Can I adjust an invoice to reduce the shipping amount when it doesn't involve a combined invoice?  The shipping calculator is messed up on my listing -- for some reason the Priority Mail rates being reflected is the higher Priority Mail express rates.  And I forgot to add other shipping options when I created the listing.  Bidding has started and I've edited the listing to ask folks to email me for a cheaper shipping quote.  I intend to honor the cheaper quotes for the winner by adjusting the invoice.  Would this be allowed?  I'd hate to end the auction when I already have bidders and start over but maybe I should.  Ugh.

Please use plain text.
cynthealee2
Community Member

in reply to vacation_lover

Add to the auction:  Once auction waits for a corrected invoice, so I can lower shipping costs.

Once auction ends, send an invoice, on the invoice page you can put what ever LOWER number you want on that line.  It is a policy violation to RAISE the shipping quote, but lowering it is fine.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to cynthealee2

cynthealee2 wrote:
Once auction ends, send an invoice, on the invoice page you can put what ever LOWER number you want on that line.  It is a policy violation to RAISE the shipping quote, but lowering it is fine.

No, strange but true, it's a policy violation to "charge a different amount" whether higher or lower than the "shipping costs when you're listing an item": That's "prohibited behavior".

Once the buyer has committed to purchasing the item, you can't change the terms of the sale.

Examples of prohibited behavior include:

• Entering an amount for shipping costs when you're listing an item, and then indicating that you charge a different amount either in the item description or after the buyer has committed to buying the item

Please use plain text.
francie_n_me
Community Member

in reply to macmak

Actually henright you're not completely accurate.  Look up Combined Shipping in the eBay help section, see below. (Highlighting in red is mine.) ~~Francie

Here's what we found for "combined shipping" Previouspage ]

For combined shipping discounts to be applied automatically, the seller has to set up shipping discounts prior to the sale and the buyer has to pay for all items at once using eBay checkout. You can also offer combined shipping discounts after a sale.

• Before the buyer pays for the items, you can combine the items on a single invoice. On the combined invoice, you can revise the shipping cost to show a discounted price.
  • If the buyer has already paid for the item, you can't combine it with other purchases. However, you can combine any remaining items or send a revised invoice for a single item. On the revised invoice, you can enter a discount in the Seller discounts or charges box.
Please use plain text.
cynthealee2
Community Member

in reply to henright

henright wrote:

cynthealee2 wrote:

No, strange but true, it's a policy violation to "charge a different amount" whether higher or lower than the "shipping costs when you're listing an item": That's "prohibited behavior".

Once the buyer has committed to purchasing the item, you can't change the terms of the sale.

Examples of prohibited behavior include:

• Entering an amount for shipping costs when you're listing an item, and then indicating that you charge a different amount either in the item description or after the buyer has committed to buying the item

I had forgotten about the adding it to the auction part. 

But you can change the amounts in the invoice.   I put in a weight, and the type (first class, parcel select, priority).... eBay on a regular basis is off... sometimes way off... I change the amount down based on what it should actually cost even with my handling fee not the magical number eBay pulls out of the air.

Example I build an ad and I tell them the weight is 2lbs. USPS charges 5.84, my added handling fee is .50.  eBay should have charged them at most 6.34, instead it says 9.00 so I change it back to the 6.34.  (yes I have it set up to offer my buyers the on-line price, and yes I have the other things set up correctly as well, I have been through the settings over and over again with T&S on the line with me, they can't figure out where the glitch is either)

Once eBay fixes it's calculated shipping, and I won't have to any more. 

Even with flat fee's eBay also can't seem to combine orders from multi-item listings. 

Example buy 1 =1.75 ea additional ad. 25  at 4 items ship free. 

I linked all the ads together in the shipping rules, It should work across all the ads I attached the rules to... on a regular basis eBay will charge the buyers 1.75 per item until I fix the shipping on the invoice... even when buying off the same ad still does it.

Now I told them in the ad that shipping was 1.75+ .25 / 4= free, I set up the ad to work that way, and eBay then tells them shipping on those 4 items is $7.00 please pay now.   I then have to go in and LOWER the shipping charges to FREE which is what I promised them. 

If in the end it IS a policy violation to change the shipping costs downward after the sale... I'm a betting person, and I would bet not ONE buyer is going to complain to eBay about my lowering the shipping costs....

Please use plain text.
lookng2015
Community Member

in reply to macmak
There IS a way, but as I said, they don't make it easy......

Go to the item, click on the item, and click the option to contact buyer.
Then look and see middle of the page( upper middle), you will see in blue text, do you want to send an invoice

Click on send an invoice. and you can resend or edit your invoice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley

"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley

Please use plain text.