eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Fake Buyers

I have had a number of people buy my products but then do not pay.  I have to wait at least 4 days to re-list and by then the buyer has mysteriously taken themselves off of EBay.  I wonder if it is someone who just doesn't want competition and is trying to make it difficult for me to sell my items?  This is happening waaaay to much now.  I wish that I could keep these so-called "buyers" without any scoring, any feedback from being able to mess with my selling.  I know that the buyer is truly legit when I see that they have scores/buys listed.  When I see a zero with no history, I know it is a scam.  Now, obviously a new buyer has to start at zero but my experience so far has been that these zero percent buyers are fake and I wish Ebay could stop this!

myangelandmyprincess
Community Member

Re: Fake Buyers

in reply to kak1969

the buyer can't be taking themselves off ebay if they have "open" transactions.  More than likely ebay is removing them

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
fan_fanatic99
Community Member

in reply to kak1969

Are you filing a UID  on these bidders?

Community Member

in reply to kak1969

You can't relist until after 8 days.

4 days to file a UPI, then another 4 days for buyer to pay.

When I see a zero with no history, I know it is a scam.  Now, obviously a new buyer has to start at zero but my experience so far has been that these zero percent buyers are fake and I wish Ebay could stop this!

You ain't much past zero yourself.  So I guess an 8 fb puts you way past being a fake?

Community Member

in reply to fab50cafe

What's with the wise cracking reponse?  The same thing keeps happening to me.  Ebay charges us 10% for purchase and shipping price and won't allow us to cancel transactions that we know are fake.  Just happened to me two days ago.  I prohibit non US buyers, but somehow a non US buyer won my item.  They have a fictitious zip code and address; one negative feedback that said they were a non payer that showed as positive because Ebay won't let you leave negative when it's a "resolved" case.  I too think these are other eBay sellers trying to get rid of the competition.

Community Member

in reply to fab50cafe

4 days to file a UPI, then another 4 days for buyer to pay.

It was changed to 2 days, and then 4 days.  However if the buyers are getting NARU'ed I don't think you have to wait at all to file.

fshardy
Community Member

in reply to brenda571

brenda571 wrote:

What's with the wise cracking reponse?  The same thing keeps happening to me.  Ebay charges us 10% for purchase and shipping price and won't allow us to cancel transactions that we know are fake.  Just happened to me two days ago.  I prohibit non US buyers, but somehow a non US buyer won my item.  They have a fictitious zip code and address; one negative feedback that said they were a non payer that showed as positive because Ebay won't let you leave negative when it's a "resolved" case.  I too think these are other eBay sellers trying to get rid of the competition.

If you have the blocks set up properly and aren't just saying no US buyers in your listings, it should block them.  The loophole would be a buyer who has or puts in a US address as their primary shipping address.  If you've gone the further step and blocked payment from foreign accounts, they won't be able to pay if they do get through.

Do you have your other blocks/buyer requirements set up?  Blocking those with policy violations and unpaid item strikes will help rid you of some problem people,  Requiring a PayPal account linked to the eBay account will take care of a lot of the sport or malicious bidders.  They either won't have or won't be willing to risk an actual PayPal account being linked.

misfitfun
Community Member

in reply to brenda571

who's response was a wise crack?Shipping fee is assessed after you are paid.If you haven't been paid you file an unpaid item clain 2 days after auction ended close 4 days latter which get your final value fees refunded then relist

-------------------------------------------------------------
This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
misfitfun
Community Member

in reply to misfitfun

An eBay member that chooses to leave must be inactive for a waiting period to finalize all transaction.If your bidders are no longer registered eBay booted them for some reason

-------------------------------------------------------------
This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Community Member

in reply to misfitfun

Under the thread, it shows you who the response was to.

It was for fab50... somehow felt the need to post:

"You ain't much past zero yourself.  So I guess an 8 fb puts you way past being a fake?"

I have blocks set up on my eBay account to prevent non US bidders, but they must have a US address linked as well.  That's the only way I can think they got around it because their address to ship to was in Denmark and was phoney also with an 8 digit zip code.  Ironically, they had two feedbacks; one was negative no pay, but marked as positive because of the eBay Resolution policy on negative feedback they won't let you enter negative feedback, the other was positive and was from a known eBay reseller.  This is happening way too often.

You can't see a buyer's actual feedback comments until AFTER they win.  This is a big eBay mistake and unfair to sellers.

I'm in the process of adding a lot of blocks, but that may lower my response too.

winteriscoming
Community Member

in reply to brenda571

To avoid confusion, do not tack on to a nearly 6 month old thread. 

Start a new thread with your own issues explained for better advice.

I understand that the new boards seem to be encouraging this, but it is not a good practice as your own circumstances will be different from the OP and some people will be responding to the OP and some will be responding to your issues and the threads get muddled.

“Community just got a facelift, thanks to you! No, really. You told us it could be better & we changed it.”
thiskittyisbarefootallthetime
Community Member

in reply to brenda571

In order for me to direct my post to Brenda, I need to go back to your last post & click reply.  If I don't think about it and just reply the way we are accostomed to and just hit reply, it automatically responds to the poster above me.  As Winter said, it is best to start your own topic  if you have a question, rather than using  either an old thread or someone else's that is more current.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Community Member

in reply to thiskittyisbarefootallthetime

Oh give me a break!  I was looking to see what others did in a similar situation.   I sell 2-5 items in a month, I was commenting that there is no need to be rude or nasty.  In either case, I didn't respond to YOU or WINTER... and this your first comment to this thread, so how are you responding to me unless... YES, you are commenting on an old thread?  Which, by the way, is still relevant for today.  Geez Louis, some of us are not glued to our computers 24/7 and do this "for fun" in our spare time and keep getting screwed having to wait a needless 6 days to repost when we KNOW the buyer is a fake.  Rude commenting is not necessary and just makes you look foolish.

myangelandmyprincess
Community Member

in reply to brenda571

brenda571 wrote:

Oh give me a break!  I was looking to see what others did in a similar situation.   I sell 2-5 items in a month, I was commenting that there is no need to be rude or nasty.  In either case, I didn't respond to YOU or WINTER... and this your first comment to this thread, so how are you responding to me unless... YES, you are commenting on an old thread?  Which, by the way, is still relevant for today.  Geez Louis, some of us are not glued to our computers 24/7 and do this "for fun" in our spare time and keep getting screwed having to wait a needless 6 days to repost when we KNOW the buyer is a fake.  Rude commenting is not necessary and just makes you look foolish.

responding to old threads though is confusing.  to get answers it's always best to start your own.  read old threads to see if you can get the info you need but if you can't post your own.  I'm sure you can understand by the responses how it can be confusing?  Poster responding to the OP who is months gone and may miss your need for help.

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown