eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Bought an item that smells like cigarette smoke

I bought a 30 dollars (after shipping) leather jacket. I am giving it as a christmas gift, and it reaks of cigerette smoke.I feel bad because I am a new seller who feels so bad when I recieve bad feedback. Can you belive in almost 13 years of buying on eBay, I"VE never had this issue? Is messaging the seller about the cigerette smell valid? I basically can't use it, and since it's leather, it's highly unlikely I'd be able to clean out the smell. :smileysad: I should have asked, but I've seriously never had this issue before! 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Bought an item that smells like cigarette smoke

in reply to msmetlovesnyg

Sometimes it's not the seller's fault. I've seen delivery personnel smoking inside their vehicles.

You should be able to take the jacket to a reputable dry cleaner experienced with cleaning leather. Hopefully, they'll be able to remove the smell.

Please use plain text.
rmor8659
Community Member

It can be professionally cleaned at a dry cleaners and maybe the smoke smell will be gone. If you are giving it as a gift I would have it cleaned as a courtesy to the recipient anyway......... If it smelled of smoke or not.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rmor8659
Well, I'm giving it to my fiance- And probably would have it dry cleaned anyways--but smoke removal is an additional fee. I've had a very hard time getting cigerette smoke out of items in the past.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to takikawa4

I'd believe that. But it smells of STALE OLD smoke, that can only be there from being around smoke a long time. Def. doesn't smell fresh like  delivery man. Plus my post office guy, delievers on foot! 

Please use plain text.
triyarn
Community Member

Contact the seller and see what they say about it. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you tear out a man’s tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you are only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
Please use plain text.
prettywoman-2012
Community Member

I can't stand the smell of smoke on an item, neither the smell of mildew. I believe sellers should disclose it, if their items smell; that way the buyer can decide if it is worth the hassle, or not.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to prettywoman-2012

If the seller did not state it came from a smoke free home you should assume it comes from a smoking home.  Common sense tells you that.  

Please use plain text.
m069514
Community Member

Maybe this sounds silly but you could try air drying it out and spray some Febreze?

Please use plain text.
budmanbob71
Community Member

I had the same problem with a leather handbag I sold and the buyer returned it back to me reeking of smoke. I was soooo mad about it but I aired it out outside for several days and I sprayed scent free febreeze onto a washcloth and wiped it down and guess what? It worked. But I would definately contact the seller and maybe he/ she might offer to accept a return or cover your costs to get it dry cleaned
Please use plain text.
freedom4me4ever
Community Member

Return it for a refund.

To keep it, then leave negative/neutral feedback and/or ding the DSR's would be uncalled for.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to freedom4me4ever

I wrote the seller a very nice message. I would NEVER ever just leave bad feedback! It is a new seller (only 10 feedback, but we all start somewhere!). I emailed them. I normally---would never hurt or offend anyone with just leaving feedback, I treat others how I want to be treated! 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to longbeard1975

I don't state my items are from a smoke-free home--even though they are, although it seems like common sense to me, because where I am from it's illegal to smoke indoors. I don't know a single person who smokes in their homes, seriously, I can't think of one. Then I again, I don't know many smokers. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]

Its illegal to smaoke in your own home?  BS..  There is no way on gods green earht that can be true.  Id it is a law people are dumber than I thought for following for that load.  I don't smoke but nobody has a legal right to tell you you cannot smoke in your own home

Please use plain text.
freedom4me4ever
Community Member

Where exactly is it illegal to smoke in your own home?

Please use plain text.
lookng2015
Community Member

Isn't it illegal to smoke in your own car in Golden Colorado?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley

"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley

Please use plain text.
lookng2015
Community Member

It's illegal if your "own home" is rented from someone else lol
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley

"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley

Please use plain text.
Community Member

some places in California, but I think they are trying to make it state wide if they already haven't. And there are even restirctions in some places where you can smoke outdoors, even on your own property. I think there was at least one place/city that made it illegal to smoke anywhere.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to buying4fun13

buying4fun13 wrote:

some places in California, but I think they are trying to make it state wide if they already haven't. And there are even restirctions in some places where you can smoke outdoors, even on your own property. I think there was at least one place/city that made it illegal to smoke anywhere.

That law applies to apartments and condos that share a wall, floor or ceiling with another unit. It doesn't apply to single family dwellings.

I have no knowledge of smoking outdoors being illegal on one's own property or it being illegal to smoke anywhere.

I am, of course, talking about cigarettes.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

prettywoman-2012 wrote:

I can't stand the smell of smoke on an item, neither the smell of mildew. I believe sellers should disclose it, if their items smell; that way the buyer can decide if it is worth the hassle, or not.

Absolutely, they should. I have some experience with this, having bought and sold used board games. Mildew smell can be a terrible problem with board games that have been stored in dark, damp conditions. Even if you air them out in direct sunlight for a while, it can hard to get rid of it completely, and you just have to hope that the little components don't blow away while they're sitting out.

As a seller, I think that it has been a selling point when I can say that a used game has no smoke or mildew smell.

However, I've also heard it said that some smokers are so inured to the smell of smoke that they really don't notice it. The OP's seller may be a heavy smoker who is just so used to the smell of smoke that he doesn't notice it in his clothes anymore.

Please use plain text.