eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
bluemountainretailers
Community Member

Re: When is eBay going to start accepting Bitcoin for payment??

in reply to tucson_bill

Tucson -

SL = Second Life - an online virtual world

And GIMP may not be as fancy as Photoshop, but for the vast majority of people it does everything they need :smileyvery-happy:

"Don't close your eyes! They can still hit you with your eyes closed!" - my son's Karate Sensei :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
multimedea_media
Community Member

in reply to jesse.d.m

jesse.d.m wrote:

When is eBay going to start accepting Bitcoin for payment??

Probably when McDonald's starts accepting them for Big Macs...or when the IRS starts accepting them for your tax debt.

in reply to bluemountainretailers

bluemountainretailers wrote:

Tucson -

SL = Second Life - an online virtual world

Thanks.  IOW not real life.  I rest my case.

Please use plain text.
lookng2015
Community Member

in reply to tucson_bill
SL is Second Life. It was the first of the "real" interactive virtual world platforms (along with WOW (world of warcraft)

And I did mention it in post 16 lol
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley

"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to jesse.d.m

I have bought and sold things for bitcoin for around two years now. I love it, I have never had a problem.

If any sellers on ebay were to accept bitcoin, I would definitely actively search out those sellers and give them my business over others.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to grixm

Bitcoin is a community that is growing tremendously, there are marketplaces popping up everywhere that are taking bitcoin for any product, car , land, apartment, food, its endless. 

One main site is Coingig.com that is a major marketplace where people can sell anything for bitcoin, people will buy anything with bitcoin so this is something to keep an eye on.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to jesse.d.m

In this thread: people who have no idea what Bitcoin is and are too ignorant to realize it. You're the same people who couldn't understand why anyone would need a cell phone 10 years ago but now you won't leave your house without one.

"Hey guys, something new - let's make fun of it! I'll try to play off my fear and ignorance as humor and hope my audience is too dumb to know the difference." - People in this thread

Dollars are used in drug deals - there was a drug cartel busted in Colombia and they had millions of dollars! We better stop using dollars!

Bitcoin can be looked at as its own currency with its own value, or in terms of a fiat currency (BTC/USD rate)... similar to gold. If you accepted gold, you could sell something for a specific gold weight or sell it according to gold's current USD (or other fiat currency) value.  If you accepted Bitcoin as payment and were concerned about the USD value, you could exchange the Bitcoins for USD at the time of the transaction. There is no *maybe* about it. Bitcoin has a $1.5+ billion market cap, there is no shortage of buyers and sellers and liquidity for even large ebay sellers. Or, you could hold Bitcoins and hope that their USD value rises over time so at the time you exchange them, they get you more USD than you initially sold your item for! And with the savings from PayPal fees, you are all but guaranteed to make more per listing than you do with PayPal.

Forget the goats and chickens - you should try accepting books and tutoring time as payment. There are even Youtube videos that would clear up some of your wildly-inaccurate conclusions... and they're free to watch! Let's try learning about the subject before we start throwing out false facts. Just because something is new to you does not make it bad. Just because something bad used Bitcoins does not make Bitcoins bad.  I will bet you your vast PayPal fortunes (at risk of being frozen without warning if you sneeze wrong) that this opinion is far more accurate than the opinion some of you have about Bitcoin. If I'm wrong, you shouldn't have any objections because there is obviously no policy requiring statements in this thread to be correct.

I eagerly anticipate your brilliant replies. By the way:

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to alwaysabargain4u

alwaysabargain4u wrote:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/02/alleged-silk-road-website-founder-arrested-bitcoin <~~~ Sounds like a wonderful currency...NOT!

I'm not sure if you're aware, but every currency in existence (and many commodities as well) may be used to fund illegal activities and purchases.  Cash, in fact, is one of the worst offenders.  Implying that a currency is bad because it may be used for illicit purposes is a classic red herring statement and about as logical as saying that cars should be banned because drunk drivers kill people with them.

Please use plain text.
bluemountainretailers
Community Member

in reply to biggramma2010

I'm not ignorant of bitcoin at all - I ran a mining rig for about 9 months.

I stopped because I started thinking about the "whys" - the short answer is that bitcoin itself isn't inherently bad, but it's not inherently good.

It however provides little positive upsides for society and many downsides.

Yes, it's a free currency, as in free speech not free beer. That's it upside.  For the record, its not the first.  Many mints have provided silver and gold fractional rounds for years that allow people to trade free of gov't controlled currency, and there have been other digital currencies as well (liberty reserve for example).

The downsides is that whether it provides benefits, it facilitates a large number of illegal activities (some of which you may or may not view as immoral, but they are undoubtedly illegal).  The reason BitCoin reached some of it's early high $$ exchange values was specifically to enable these transactions.  It was really the only initial demand.

Couple that with the fact that your wallet can be hacked, as can the exchanges (e.g., Mt.Gox) and you have no recourse or accountability for the transaction, I see no widespread benefits. 

If it works for you, great.  I'm not making fun of it, but I gaurantee you that an online marketplace that makes combating fraud a prioirity, and who makes money off of handling the conventional e-payment transaction, won't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

Let me ask you a simple question - what do you have if / when the bitcoin economy collapses?  What's backing the value of the coins?  They're currently trading at $140/coin, I remember a year ago (about) when they were around $14/coin.  So, what do you have if a year from now they're back to $14?  What happens if the platform you're using is seized by the government like the silkroad?

The people who really hyped bitcoin were the early miners who had thousands of bitcoins.  What was in it for them?  Simple, today they can sell those for $140 each, as long as they taper them in - if they dump them, the price plummets . . . so they'll slow roll as long as they can.

"Don't close your eyes! They can still hit you with your eyes closed!" - my son's Karate Sensei :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Don't even know what to say.  Bitcoin is like gold.  Only in as much as gold went for $1800 an ounce a couple of months ago and is now closer to $1300.

Please use plain text.
bluemountainretailers
Community Member

in reply to tucson_bill

Tucson - the one difference is that gold has intrinsic value, gold will never go to zero, bitcoin can . . .

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Tucson - the one difference is that gold has intrinsic value, gold will never go to zero, bitcoin can . . .

I also don't believe that gold will ever go to zero -- but I don't agree that it has any value other than what we give it.  Same of course is true of dollars, euros, or any other media.  My point was most people don't want currency whose value is that unstable.  In international business most folks want payment in one of the "hard" currencies, such as Euros, GBP, USD.  Nobody takes ruppees, rubles, and dinars.  Just as nobody takes bitcoin. 

Please use plain text.
multimedea_media
Community Member

in reply to tucson_bill

tucson_bill wrote:

I also don't believe that gold will ever go to zero -- but I don't agree that it has any value other than what we give it.  Same of course is true of dollars, euros, or any other media.  My point was most people don't want currency whose value is that unstable.  In international business most folks want payment in one of the "hard" currencies, such as Euros, GBP, USD.  Nobody takes ruppees, rubles, and dinars.  Just as nobody takes bitcoin. 

Uh, gold has plenty of intrinsic value, beyond monetary and decorative. (Considering it's one of the peroidic elements--the building blocks of our universe--I should say so.) From the WebElements website:

Recently, gold catalysts as gold supported on carbon or metal oxides are becoming useful in the chemical industry. Many other gold compounds including neutral gold halides (AuBr3, etc.), aurates (K[AuBr4], etc.) gold cyanides, gold oxides, phosphine gold complexes, gold hydroxides and gold nitrates are available to industrial users. Chlorauric acid (HAuCl4) is used in photography for toning the silver image.

Gold is a really useful metal for electronics because of its inertness and physical properties. Gold is used for electrical contacts, spring contacts, bonding wire, solder alloys, bonding wire, bumping wire, electroplating, and sputtering targets. Gold is also a useful brazing material. Gold is used for coating space satellites, as it is a good IR reflector and is inert.

Since gold is inert and possesses useful properties when alloyed, gold is used extensively for dentistry in gold teeth, dental attachments, inserts, and solders. Similarly, gold is used increasingly for medical implants in eyes and ears, as well as many other medically useful wires, tubes, sheets, and foils. Disodium aurothiomalate is administered (intramuscular) as a treatment for arthritis. The gold isotope 198Au is used for treating cancer and other conditions.

Gold is used in nanotechnology applications as colloids, conjugates, nanoparticle inks, nanoparticle solutions, and nanopowders.

in reply to multimedea_media

multimedea_media wrote:

tucson_bill wrote:

Uh, gold has plenty of intrinsic value, beyond monetary and decorative. (Considering it's one of the peroidic elements--the building blocks of our universe--I should say so.) From the WebElements website:  .....(many uses for gold omitted for space)....

Peace.  As is often the case I think we have a definitions problem.  In the context of this thread when I say "value" I'm talking about exchange value, i.e. monetary value.  Now doubt there are many uses and useful properties, but the focus of this discussion is monetary value, which gold does have and bitcoins don't.  BTW, I give you very high marks and thanks for accurately quoting me including full context -- the context of the quote should make it pretty clear what I was talking about. In reality I don't think the usefulness of bitcoins on eBay is really an eBay if there aren't sellers willing to accept them.  I wouldn't and I suspect most wouldn't. 

Please use plain text.
donsmooresales
Community Member

in reply to jesse.d.m

As a seller, I most certianly DO WANT to be able to accept BC as payment option. 

I have not read this thread, but I can assume that some people are woried about not-traceable, not reversibale.

To say it is not reversable is silly, if someone sends me bitcoin for an item and asks for thir bitcoin back, all I have to do is send them their bitcoins, just like on any other transaction here on ebay.

It is not reversable by an external entity (bank, govermnet, insttution), I like that. It will improve the rating of honest sellers and cull out the dis-reputable.

It will happen, the question which on-line marketplace will benifit from it sooner, ebay, amazon????

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to donsmooresales

God, I hope it's Amazon!

Please use plain text.
multimedea_media
Community Member

donsmooresales wrote:

As a seller, I most certianly DO WANT to be able to accept BC as payment option. 

I have not read this thread, but I can assume that some people are woried about not-traceable, not reversibale.

To say it is not reversable is silly, if someone sends me bitcoin for an item and asks for thir bitcoin back, all I have to do is send them their bitcoins, just like on any other transaction here on ebay.

It is not reversable by an external entity (bank, govermnet, insttution), I like that. It will improve the rating of honest sellers and cull out the dis-reputable.

It will happen, the question which on-line marketplace will benifit from it sooner, ebay, amazon????

Hate to say it, but what's really silly is not reading a thread, then making assumptions on things you haven't read. Had you read it entirely, you probably wouldn't have made the assumptions you did. :smileyhappy:

Community Member

in reply to multimedea_media

multimedea_media , you made a good point, i will read the thread. 

don

Please use plain text.
sineaterdoodah
Community Member

donsmooresales wrote:

how will it cull out the disreputable sellers? or benefit the honest ones who don't get CASH to pay their bills?

Photobucket

Please use plain text.
donsmooresales
Community Member

in reply to sineaterdoodah

I appreciate y'alls comments.

I would like to address multimedea_media point first.

After reading the entire thread, there is little if any good information worth the read.

Secondly I would like to address sineaterdoodah question.

That really should be self evedint, however If you are not familialr with the eBay feedback syetem, I can see how that would be confiusing. If a seller does not refund they get a negative feedback.

As for the CASH? question, I do not understand. I am guessing that you are not aware that crypto-currency is currently excahngable between all other forms of currency.

What are the obstacles to accepting crypto-currency? Will we have to wait for PayPal to incorporate the functionality?

Is it a leagal issue? Is it a political issue?

Any thoughts?

Don

Please use plain text.