eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
lovedapiggies
Community Member

Upset With ebay Coupon Policy and how it is not EQUALLY Applied

I have been selling on ebay since June.  I clip coupons and sell that service.  In the beginning I made some mistakes and had some listings removed for duplicate violation.  I admit I was wrong.

Recently I have been reporting in bulk insert listings and have seen no actions being taken.

There is a seller right now selling (50) inserts per listing. Rule clearly states (5) insert limit.

I feel ebay is not applying their rules fairly to all members.

I call customer service and get the old blow off with the same story yadda yadda yadda "thanks for reporting"  When are rules going to be applied to all?????

Is anyone else seeing this?

It frustrates me.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Upset With ebay Coupon Policy and how it is not EQUALLY Applied

in reply to lovedapiggies

What ate inserts and it says you can only have 5 listed? Can you elaborate on the policy and what inserts are thanks. 

Please use plain text.
lovedapiggies
Community Member

Inserts are booklets of coupons located in newspapers.  The policy ebay has states no more then 5 of these are permitted per listing for an auction.

This rule seems to be selectively applied.

Please use plain text.
zzzgaragesale
Community Member

Two things, for one you dont see the listings ebay removes, because they are gone. So while you will see non-compliant listings, there may have been a hundred others removed that you did not see. So the problem probably looks worse to you than it actually is.

Secondly what comes around goes around, so sellers who don't flow well with the rules may get away with it for a long time, but sooner or later they will be out of here if they keep it up. 

Anyway it is more fun and more profitable to concentrate on the positive. Just listing more of what you CAN sell and spending the money is your best, and happiest, outcome. 

I was looking at your listings, by the way, and saw a couple of coupons I could use. Maybe I will bid on some! Good luck with all your sales. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

thats a weird rule..who cares how many you sell?

just keep reporting the people you see breakiong this rule, it truly is an unfair advantage..but thats all you can do it report them..sooner or later the right ebay staffer will see it and take action.

if you know other rule following sellers, email them and ask them to report the problem sellers to

Please use plain text.
rosachs
Community Member

It can take multiple reports over multiple weeks before you 'see' any change - the rules allow for warnings, then sanctions, then removal, so it may take a while for the stiffer 'corrections' to sink in.

When I find listing violations, I add that listing to a watch list.  That way I can go back later to see if it was allowed to stand, ended early, and whether or not anything happened with the sellers.  Just a thought....

Also - contacting other members and asking them to assist in reporting someone is itself a violation of eBay rules.  Falls in the category of 'ganging up', or more specifically member interference.  Part of that 'level playing field' everyone keeps asking for, I guess -- no "teams".

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about my selling tools - I'm happy to share!
V.46 Trading Assistant/Consignment sales, since 1997!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Ohhh I didn't know that violation thanks. it think it makes sense noone likes to be ganged up on!

Please use plain text.
lovedapiggies
Community Member

Thank you to all the wonderful people here that took the time to make replies to my post.

There is a very big positive to selling here on ebay.............

All the great people that are here with me.

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Does the eBay rule state "five identical inserts" per listing?

The coupon policy states up to 20 identical, 100 mixed or 2 identical free item coupons per listing.

If the seller you speak of is offering 5 each of 10 different inserts that's a whole different ballgame than 50 identical inserts.

Also, eBay and the Coupon Information Center monitor all coupon listings closely.  Often the listings are allowed to run their course as investigations are conducted.  A case built upon multiple infractions and/or illegal activity takes time to develop.

Please use plain text.
strugglevilleauctions
Community Member

If they are different inserts than you can have more.  If they are 50 identical inserts than its a no no but ebay probably wont catch it unless someone reports it. 

I sell coupons on another ID and some people would say its a waste of time but the money I make from coupons pays for my gasoline every month and it takes literally no time at all to do.  The bad part is the feedback on that other account is going down the crapper.  I got one neg that stated "won't trick me again" and all 1's despite the fact the listing picture was a scan of the coupon, it was in the coupon category, the listing said the expiration date, had the coupon clause at the bottom and used the word coupon 8 times.  The buyer bought coupons from 5 different people and left them all negs....called ebay and they wouldnt remove it.  The second neg I got yesterday said, "COUPONS???????? SAYS 3 PC SET u SEND COUPONS REFUNDCHANGE 2COUPN THEN ILL CHG"  besides not making sense I think the end is saying refund and he will change his feedback.  Called ebay they dont agree and said he doesnt say what he will change.  I asked what would he change besides feedback and they said they didnt know but that they wont remove it. 

On another note while I am ranting ebay removed one of my listing because they said it should of been in the adult category.  It was a 1999 FINANCIAL REPORT for Playboy.  I told them their are no pictures in it and they said since it is playboy it has to be in the adult category.  Despite the fact the "back issues" category of ebay has 32,000 playboy magazines in it that actually have nude pics.  Ebay sucks.

Sorry I'm done.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Please use plain text.
ebaayluvbears
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to strugglevilleauctions

What they are talking about is this email a lot of us sellers got recently >>>

We're writing to let you know that as of today, updates to eBay's manufacturer's coupon policy take effect and may impact your listings:
  • Sellers can only sell up to a maximum of $100 value in coupons or 25 valid, unexpired, original coupons per month, whichever limit is reached first. (The 25 coupons limit includes multiple coupons purchased from a multi-quantity listing.)
  • Coupons for "free" products—including coupons where the coupon holder buys some quantity of items at one price and gets some number of items for free, for example, "buy-get-one-free" offers, or offers for free shipping—may no longer be sold on eBay.
  • Starting September 1, 2013, listings for these coupons that don't comply with these policy changes will be removed. After September 1, listings in violation of this policy may be subject to a range of other actions, including restrictions of buying and selling privileges and a suspension of your account.
Please be sure to review all the terms of the updated policy now and review the terms printed on the coupon carefully before you list it to ensure compliance.
As always, thank you for selling on eBay!
eBay Selling Team

Please use plain text.
weaselemu
Community Member

in reply to ebaayluvbears

Yeah check the new coupon policy just updated. Your problem is going away. You won't have to worry about coupons or inserts and people violating the limits after Sept 1st.

Apparently birds are not allowed.
You'll get over it. Or you won't.
weasel
emu
Please use plain text.
cbluvsretlaw02
Community Member

in reply to weaselemu

I personally have never reported anyone ever. Alot of mistakes are made by people who are just starting out selling coupons. I will send them a message and nicely tell them about the policy and how they may get it removed because of it. Everyone is always grateful. I have seen people accidently add an extra zero or whatever and the coupons will be for sale for 999! I am always glad when someone points out a listing mistake I have made.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]

Have you read the new Ebay coupon policy? I can't afford to keep my Ebay store opened under these circumstances. I have opened a new store Feel free to come and visit. Good luck to you all :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to rosesink

You say you're opening a new store.  Do you mean on ebay or somewhere else? 

I don't sell coupons on ebay but I've bought some in the past.   I didn't know about this change until today and would like to know where the coupon sellers plan to go.

Sometimes I wonder what ebay is thinking.  Do they really image that the manufacturers who issue coupons are going to sell through ebay because of this?  It's like ebay wants to drive away customers.

Please use plain text.
bluemountainretailers
Community Member

in reply to mysideofmountain

mysideofmountain wrote:

You say you're opening a new store.  Do you mean on ebay or somewhere else? 

I don't sell coupons on ebay but I've bought some in the past.   I didn't know about this change until today and would like to know where the coupon sellers plan to go.

Sometimes I wonder what ebay is thinking.  Do they really image that the manufacturers who issue coupons are going to sell through ebay because of this?  It's like ebay wants to drive away customers.

That's not the driving force - there's 2 issues with coupon sales - 1) many of them are actually against the terms of the coupon offer (no resale, non-transferable, etc.) and 2) they are prone to fraud and counterfeiting.  Yes - there are many honest coupon sellers on ebay, but there are at least a few dishonest ones.

Because of both 1) and 2) some vendors are starting to take legal action, ebay is trying to protect themselves against litigation, and to maintain a clean marketplace.

Yes it sucks, but it's not ebay's doing really . . .

"Don't close your eyes! They can still hit you with your eyes closed!" - my son's Karate Sensei :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
janewt-1
Community Member

in reply to bluemountainretailers

And the place that lots of coupon sellers moved to from here has now outlawed them as well for basically the same reasons Ebay did.

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Please use plain text.
coupons4cancerlinda
Community Member

OK All - I can tell you HOW and WHY this policy is NOT equally applied on on non-compliant listings. SOMEONE - maybe all of you and your families and friends should tell the CIC (Coupon Information Center), and/or the  BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU about EBAY's "Shenanigans".  It is a TRUE CRIME!!

I am a retured Oncology Nurse and have written 2 books on Cancer Cheotherapy so Observation is one of my skills as a nurse, and research is one I learned in education, and in writing the books on a repisly changing subject.

Look at MOST or maybe ALL of the people whose non-compliant listings are being ignored by EBAY - (I have personally reported MANY on the internet and on the phone and nothing was done to those sellers).  These sellers ALSO offers Paypal's BILL ME LATER program to the buyer - "New customers get $10 back on 1st purchase, Subject to credit approval".  This must be a BIG Moneymaker for PAYPAL and so EBAY 's Trust and Safety Dept must close their eyes to these sellers and give them "carte blanche" to post whatever and how many coupon ads they want in ANY non-compliant category.  The ones they use most frequently are: "Gift cards and coupons". Coupons for cat food are posted as cat food - not under coupons - Same for dog food coupons.  Coupons for Bayer Aspiring found under Health & Beauty > Over the Counter Medicine > Pain Relief  and so on - NOT where they belong.  I called EBAY several times the regular AND the Trust and Safety Dept - they all assure me that they will look into it.  No one seems to care there. 

I JUST spent time to call AGAIN (Asked directly for Trust & Safety Dept and spoke to Heidi.  I decided after getting the standard answer "We have your report and will investigate" - I sent an online report similar to this one to  the Coupon Information Center.  I sent it in behalf of all of us who have

1) Abided by all the coupon rules  and then been punished for not allowing to continue our auctions while those who are rule breakers are allowed to rake in "Big bucks" for their coupons while breaking all the rules.

and

2) spent lots of time trying to alert EBAY about the rule-breakers to no avail.

Let's see if the CIC gets somewhere. I HOPE they do - I HATE crime - especially when a big company like EBAY or PAYPAL closes their eyes to it to make a little more money.

Please use plain text.
sineaterdoodah
Community Member

in reply to coupons4cancerlinda

the sellers DO NOT offer bill me later,EBAY AND PAYPAL do.

all sellers who  offer paypal as a payment auction will have that on their listings,AND it's there when you click to pay.

do your research a little better.

Photobucket

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sineaterdoodah

Well if noone wants delta or american air coupons guess ill just use them and fly!

FEbays loss no commision for them.

Please use plain text.