eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
ahabbadirect
Community Member

My Paypal Account Was Hacked!

I posted in the New To Ebay board that my Paypal account was frozen. Now I know why. My account was hacked. The person made 2 withdrawls totalling $30. I know that doesn't sound like much, but for a very small & new seller like me, it's a lot.

I filed a claim with Paypal that those transactions are unauthorized. I called & they restored full access to my account.

Keep an eye on your Paypal transactions.

For as many problems Paypal gives people, I'm happy they caught this before I did. Score 1 for them!

Please use plain text.
janewt-1
Community Member

Re: My Paypal Account Was Hacked!

in reply to ahabbadirect

Did you

1.  Scan your PC for critters including rootkits that might have been missed by your anti-virus?

2.  Change your password (useless if you have a trojan or rootkit on  your PC since it would send the new info to it's master)?

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Please use plain text.
ahabbadirect
Community Member

in reply to ahabbadirect

I changed my password & security questions. I use a Mac, and it's locked down pretty good.

Please use plain text.
janewt-1
Community Member

in reply to ahabbadirect

I'm not familiar with  Macs - not sure if anyone is writing malware for them or not.

Hopefully you are protected enough.  Having an account hacked is no fun at all.

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Please use plain text.
missangells
Community Member

in reply to ahabbadirect

I found an option in paypal that sends me an email everytime I make a purchase with my debit card and I think I recieved the same email when I transfered money and made purchases online.

I check the email each time and make sure it was my purchase and for the right amount.

I like it.  ;-)

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ahabbadirect

I like it too.

A couple months ago, I opened up 2 of those debit card emails and they weren't my transactions. I called Paypal, they canceled that card, issued a new card and put the $200+ back in my account before I hung up the phone. I was thoroughly impressed by that. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ahabbadirect

I have to say that throughout the 8 years I've had a paypal account I have been impressed with the way they handle the protection of their account holders (us) and make good when hacks, theft and other nasty situations happen. I think they're better than most banks in this respect. I certainly feel a lot more secure using my paypal debit card than I do using my bank debit card.

Sallie

B-)

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ahabbadirect

My PayPal account was also hacked. The hacker had created an account with the user name Bank Account. So all my money was transferred to Bank Account. This happened in the early AM. As soon as I saw the email notification I called PayPal. They were very helpful and by the time I got off the phone the money was back in my account. A POX on all hackers. Five stars to PayPal for first rate customer service.

Please use plain text.
ingeniouskha
Community Member

in reply to ahabbadirect

Sorry to hear that and I'm glad everything worked out for you.  :smileyhappy:

I've not experience that happening, yet, but Paypal did placed a hold on my account when I took a big chunk one day, used another big chunk the following day, and denied access when I was at the USPS mailing items. This never happened before and I was peeved!!  It was embarrassing to me!  I called them up and, it turned out, they just wanted to make sure that I was the person who took those amounts and took out the hold.  It was still embarrassing, though, but am glad they have that in place just in case.  :smileyhappy:

Carry the REAL thing
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ahabbadirect

With PayPal's current movements to move further into the financial markets, expanding into debit/credit cards services and the like they have to be very security conscious. It would only take a few successful attacks for them to gain a reputation of the wrong kind. With some of the articles I have seen in recent financial media, it would only take a few incidents of relatively minor significance to cause major damage in their intended expansions. Because of this we can expect careful scrutinization of things like our account activity, and rapid action to secure our accounts if we or others suddenly change the account activities, such as large purchases, transfers, or other activities that are outside the normal activity in the history of the account. Most of the monitoring is done electronically, so the first action is to lock the account to prevent further possible fraud until the activity can be investigated.

I'll deal with my account being locked for a couple of days, rather than loose a few thousand and spend months trying to recover it.  

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pa_keddle

my account also got hacked. 

they made a couple of bogus payment around $200 each and closed my account.  and the funny thing was they then open a new account using my email.  paypal now has locked down the email permanently.  one of the payment has been credit to me, not the account.  the paypal rep said she is confident that the second payment will be credit back.  

i guess i will stop using paypal from now on.

Please use plain text.