eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

broadwayguy99
Community Member
Accepted Solution

Free Shipping - epacket from China?

I recently won an auction for a phone case from China.... The winning bid was $7.50 with FREE Shipping - epacket from china. I was charged an additional $1 for shipping.... I didn't catch it until after I paid and began reading the negative feedback from the seller complaining about the additional charge added....

Has anyone seen this before? What does epacket from China mean? Doesn't the additional charge defeat the purpose of FREE Shipping?  

Please use plain text.
rosachs
Community Member

Re: Free Shipping - epacket from China?

in reply to broadwayguy99
Return to the original listing and find where the additional charge is explicitly stated. If it's not in there, complain to eBay.

-Bob.
RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about my selling tools - I'm happy to share!
V.46 Trading Assistant/Consignment sales, since 1997!
Please use plain text.
broadwayguy99
Community Member

in reply to rosachs

Check it out item number: 350829306062

I contacted the seller asking why I was charged an additional fee after the end of the auction... Below if their reply:

----

Hello,no problem for free shipping to your country,we just add usd1 for the faster shipping service,because if free shipping this item will be shipped out by normal shipping service without online tracking No.,and the shipping time is around 25~30days,if send by faster shipping service ,this item can reach you within 8~15days after shipment,and also you can track it online,please kindy confirm this back to us so that we can arrange shipment,or refund you usd1,thanks

----

I then reply in a strong email that I do not do business with dishonest people and to refund my money immediately (item hasn't been shipped yet)...

This will be the FIRST time that  I will be leaving negative feedback and low dsrs to anyone here. I just don't like cheaters who try to sneak in extra charges after the fact. I don't mind the $1 extra charge for faster shipping, but to add it at the end is unethical... I will take my business elsewhere.

Thanks for your help BOB!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Nowhere on that listing, does it say anything, about extra cost for speedier shipping/tracking. I, too, would neg them for being dishonest. Sorry, but you can't do that, and expect it to go well. 

Please use plain text.
broadwayguy99
Community Member

in reply to alwaysabargain4u

I know, right..... They try to sneak the extra charge in which it worked until I looked at sellers feedback history... Many complaints mentioning the same scam.... I hate to do it but there has to be a consequence for their poor business practice... Thanks for looking into it for me... :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
wolfgang2204
Community Member

Some people have a lot of nerve. I just came upon a listing for a guitar amplifier where the calculated shipping is $31.00 to my zipcode but, the seller clearly states in his TOS that buyers are required to pay a flat rate of $60.00 and after the item is shipped any funds left over will be reimbursed. Also any buyer that does not pay the additional $60.00 will be refunded and the transaction canceled.

I love the smell of packaging tape in the morning.
Please use plain text.
broadwayguy99
Community Member

in reply to wolfgang2204

I hope this isn't some sort of a trend.... :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
rosachs
Community Member

in reply to wolfgang2204

"but, the seller clearly states in his TOS that buyers are required to pay a flat rate of $60.00 and after the item is shipped any funds left over will be reimbursed."

If he's using calculated shipping, how does he plan to account for the surcharge on the invoice?  eBay won't let him just add charges willy-nilly... they know what the winning bid was, and they know what the calculated shipping was.  So just how does this doofus plan to invoice for the "falt rate" if he's using calculated?

Unless he posted a flat rate of $60, with the TOS promise of a 'refund of unused'.  Right.  Like there would ever been any 'unused' funds.  "well, the box ended up costing more than I thought, and then I had to buy more bubble wrap to wrap it in, and the gas to drive to Wal Mart to get the bubble wrap, and then another trip to get lunch, and then there was this cool ebook on how to use twice as much bubble wrap as needed, and... well... your $60 and a bit more were all used up.  So I guess you owe me a bit more.  Thanks dude!"

Yeah.  Like that's gonna fly.

KISS - use the eBay calculated shipping or just use included shipping and let the buyer(s) decide if it's worth it.  I use included shipping onn my coins and calculated shipping for my larger collectibles.  Calculated USPS/Priority Mail -- I plug in the size and weight and the buyer gets a custom shipping charge calculated just for them.  :smileyhappy:

Ultimately, the smart buyers aren't fooled by these games, and the buyers who are fooled are likely the ones more willing to leave positive feedback and then tank the seller's DSRs.  Thanks, but I don't need that!  :smileyhappy:

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Please use plain text.
adf07bid
Community Member

Don't buy from sellers in China anymore.
This is not the first thread I have seen where someone is complaining about the same issue, from a seller in china.
Please use plain text.
broadwayguy99
Community Member

in reply to adf07bid

There's nothing wrong with ALL sellers from China... Just because this person acted dishonestly doesn't mean all do. I've bought many items from China and never had an issue. I expect delivery in a month, if it comes before, then great....

Please use plain text.
jeslie2011
Community Member

Hello, They are right if they send it cheapest it will take about a month...the problem with Some Chinese Sellers is that they are afraid American buyers would not buy from them if they have any kind of shipping...also they want to give free shipping so they will get the discount for top performer ( if they get it) free shipping gives them an automatic 5 star there. Not all chinese sellers are cheaters.

Please use plain text.
rosachs
Community Member

in reply to jeslie2011

It's "cheating" to state one thing and then charge another.  Especially if you do it without the customer's agreement.

If I went into Arby's and ordered just a sandwich, and the person at the counter automatically upgraded me to the 'meal' -- I'd be upset and talking to the manager.  I didn't ask for the upgrade, I didn't agree to the upgrade, and I certainly didn't want to be charged for the upgrade.

If non-US sellers find there are losing DSR scores because their cheapest shipping is too slow, then they need to consider upgrading the shipping to something faster ON THEIR DIME, or list their items with the upgraded shipping included in the "free shipping" price.

US sellers who upgrade from First Class Mail (46 cents) to First Class Package ($1.59) have to either eat the difference or pass it along to the customer in the agreed to price.  We don't get to just 'upgrade' our buyers to a more expensice service and then add a fee to the sale -- why should sellers anywhere else be allowed to?

Any seller who doesn't hold to the agreed terms and price of the purchase agreement SHOULD be reported to eBay.  It's not allowed, and it's not fair.  And it has nothing to do with nationality -- it's just wrong.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to jeslie2011

I have purchased several ebay items from Chinese sellers and not had a problem. Watch parts, watches, batteries,etc. I just purchased a stylus pen for a KINDLE for $2.00 plus FREE SHIPPING....when it arrived, it was twice the quality of one at BESTBUY for $22. How in the world can they ship somehting alll the way to USA for next to nothing?  And some of these items are nearly 1 pound? Are our postal rates that askew?

Please use plain text.
jeslie2011
Community Member

in reply to rosachs

rosachs wrote:

It's "cheating" to state one thing and then charge another.  Especially if you do it without the customer's agreement.

If I went into Arby's and ordered just a sandwich, and the person at the counter automatically upgraded me to the 'meal' -- I'd be upset and talking to the manager.  I didn't ask for the upgrade, I didn't agree to the upgrade, and I certainly didn't want to be charged for the upgrade.

If non-US sellers find there are losing DSR scores because their cheapest shipping is too slow, then they need to consider upgrading the shipping to something faster ON THEIR DIME, or list their items with the upgraded shipping included in the "free shipping" price.

US sellers who upgrade from First Class Mail (46 cents) to First Class Package ($1.59) have to either eat the difference or pass it along to the customer in the agreed to price.  We don't get to just 'upgrade' our buyers to a more expensice service and then add a fee to the sale -- why should sellers anywhere else be allowed to?

Any seller who doesn't hold to the agreed terms and price of the purchase agreement SHOULD be reported to eBay.  It's not allowed, and it's not fair.  And it has nothing to do with nationality -- it's just wrong.

-Bob.

I did not say this particular seller was on the right...as a matter of fact you were right on. I was just explaining why they would use such techniques...and it does not matter if you explain to them that people won't mind paying the extra dollar if you just tell them..but it does not compute.

Please use plain text.
jeslie2011
Community Member

in reply to tiberiusthegreat123

tiberiusthegreat123 wrote:

I have purchased several ebay items from Chinese sellers and not had a problem. Watch parts, watches, batteries,etc. I just purchased a stylus pen for a KINDLE for $2.00 plus FREE SHIPPING....when it arrived, it was twice the quality of one at BESTBUY for $22. How in the world can they ship somehting alll the way to USA for next to nothing?  And some of these items are nearly 1 pound? Are our postal rates that askew?

I think their shipping here is a lot cheaper than here to them..I have no idea how but for some reason it is...

Please use plain text.
adf07bid
Community Member

"How in the world can they ship somehting alll the way to USA for next to nothing?"

It's easy, they CHEAT.

USA Postal customers pay more for shipping to cover the costs of the China shipments.

of course they also cheat their own people by paying them practically nothing to make those products.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have found recently that there is a trend of listing items under the "free shipping" area but then in the description, there is a note of being charged $1.99 for the e-packet.  I first notified Ebay of the situation in May (I have the complaint #).  I then had the same seller do this again along with several other sellers.  I contacted Ebay again (again, I have the complaint #) in June. 

I then, by accident, paid for items that had been listed under the "free shipping" area, three sellers at the same time (must have been in a hurry...Learn from my mistake!!).  I again contacted Ebay (again, have the complaint #) in July.  Nothing happened even though Ebay states this is a violation of listing practices and is misleading to the buyer.  All of the Ebay customer service staff state that this is not permitted.  

I even had two of the sellers that I mistakingly paid shipping on send me my items together in the same package.  Their listing stated "free shipping", the description stated $1.99 for the first item, free shipping after that.  Ebay was notified of this also.  I had been charged $3.98.

The last seller I had paid shipping on charged me $7.48 for those free shipping items.  The two items totaled $2.28.

Ebay has told me that they will contact me by email after investigating.  They told me this in June and again on July 16th.  I have had no contact from Ebay about the situation and the items that I bid on are going to disappear from my area in a few days.  I notified them of this situation but it seems that may be just what someone wants.

Please use plain text.
bluemountainretailers
Community Member

in reply to kdkcplus1

BTW - an ePacket is a special class of service that was negiotiated between USPS, eBay, and China - basically its a highly discounted (subsidized) version of First Class International specifically designed to increase Chinese Imports into the US.

Article with some details: http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y11/m08/i31/s02

"Don't close your eyes! They can still hit you with your eyes closed!" - my son's Karate Sensei :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
goneracin93
Community Member

Because the US and othe countries import so much from China, their postal service can charge much MUCH less for shipping than we are used to paying. Get this: it costs more to ship a small package from Washington, D.C. to New York than it costs anyone anywhere in China to send that same package anywhere in the world. 

Please use plain text.
goneracin93
Community Member

in reply to goneracin93
Also, if you look at some, well a lot of my sales they are shipped from China from my distributor. I have never had a quality or customer service problem with them. They are eager to please and want to make sure their and my customers come back again. They make quality products and stand behind them. Just my 2 cents.
Please use plain text.