• Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
ditzymom_818
Community Member

Re: Ebay Sales have dropped.

in reply to johnrj1226

Sorry about that.

With Cassini, the new search engine, they are suggesting we re-do our titles. Where DSR's used to pull you up in the ratings, now an abbreviated to-the-point title will.  Or rather the order of words. The engine scans the first 3 words. 

So instead of:

Girls Shirt Calvin Klein size 7 WOW!

The search engine looks for:

Calvin Klein Girls Shirt size 7 ( No "Wow" or ="look!")

It's supposed to put smaller sellers over the Chinese sellers that flood the listings with multiples of one item.

Then, also, the engine scans the Description and the Item Specifics. So they're suggesting beefing up item specifics and making Description more concise.

Another thing is if the listing has been up for a while with a lot of views, but due to price or whatever it doesn't sell. That will push you down in the listings.  So they're motive is to get you to lower price.  Or if you have a strike on a particular item you're selling, This will lower you in the listings.

Lowered in the results means less views, means less sells.  So the sellers who l.eave stuff up with BIN for a long time are advised to "refresh" the item by listing it anew, and tighening up the KW's and Descriptions. So I'm noticing some of those with less sales don't have the Item Specifics filled in. And now it seems too much verbiage in the descriptions can even go against you. It's what the system scan for when it looks at your listing.  Again, supposed to help the smaller sellers.  But those with 200 listings and a few dings my find themselves way down in the listings.

Here's and article on it:

http://www.terapeak.com/blog/2013/06/11/terapeak-how-to-crucial-factors-in-ebay-search-for-the-new-c...

Please use plain text.
ohlipcon
Community Member

in reply to bingodot3

Ebay Sales have not only dropped. Its on the cliff.

Please use plain text.
adf07bid
Community Member

in reply to ditzymom_818
Ditzy I read that article, and tried to follow that advice and it does not work.

the other day i found out that apparently the guy on ebay radio did a show about this and said pretty much the opposite of what you posted, like he said the first 3 words no longer matter at all.
Please use plain text.
adf07bid
Community Member

in reply to adf07bid
someone told me this

"While the old advice that the 3 first used words are the most important in your title is no longer accurate as Cassini weighs them all the same"

so i asked them for a source

" The most recent sources for that reference have been Griff and Jordan Koene , Head of SEO for Ebay on Ebay Radio #522 live on 8-13-13"

http://community.ebay.com/t5/groups/grouppage/board-id/g-232
Please use plain text.
johnrj1226
Community Member

in reply to ditzymom_818

Thank you very much - I have been doing some of those things recently but not all.  Printed out your post & I'll check out the link you included too.  I read some where about thing BIN listing thing  droppign in teh listing.  So I have been relisting one at a time via sell similar vs gang relisitng of the same item - change a word or two (generally my typos), change the price + or - a $1.00  & more to the point description copy - in my opinion buyer aren't going to stop and read at lot of "flowery" words they tend to be speed shoppers, give the 5 -8 clear full frame pics to look at (no patio garden in back ground).

I think I'm headed in the right direction  August has turned a nice corner so far (knock on wood) compared to May & July).  The rest of 2013 was very good even the historically dreadful Jan/Feb.

Again appreciate you input.

Please use plain text.
ditzymom_818
Community Member

in reply to johnrj1226

To johnrj1226

Your Welcome!

Please use plain text.
kims-market
Community Member

in reply to downrightspecialkids

Thanks for your advice. Lot's of good advice here - and have been trying to take it all in!

Lot's of posts on this topic - I'll try to catch up on Monday. (Working long hours all weekend.)

I realize my views are different, as I started so recently - the slow sales aren't a big shocker to me.  Also, my initial investment was made with items from around the house, and further investment is made only with money I've earned...  so I'm doing this without financial loss (though I have invested a lot of time).

Even the time is okay with me.  I used to spend too much time on one of those facebook games - and then decided that if I could spend that time on something else, maybe I could make some money :-)  And the challenge of finding things that will sell, and learning all of the ins and outs of this whole thing, has been quite fun and enjoyable.

I've had some "fails", but consider those learning experiences.

Oh well - lot's of posts here for me to read, but have to get to bed now. Another early morning tomorrow.

-Kim

Please use plain text.
ditzymom_818
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to adf07bid

adf07bid wrote:
someone told me this

"While the old advice that the 3 first used words are the most important in your title is no longer accurate as Cassini weighs them all the same"

so i asked them for a source

" The most recent sources for that reference have been Griff and Jordan Koene , Head of SEO for Ebay on Ebay Radio #522 live on 8-13-13"

http://community.ebay.com/t5/groups/grouppage/board-id/g-232

I have to check that link.

Hmmm. Well, so maybe there's conflicting info about. There's some youtube videos on it, too. So everyone's offering theories, although I think the Terapeak was out of some video conference with the guy who developed Cassini. 

Oh, and you're right. I think is the move is away from too much flowery words, or whatever...  You know, I think the "first 3 words" thing is right, except the system scans your entire listing, well the wording in it, AND factors in the "sell-through" factor. Like how many of your sales have been successful, matched up with the needs of the buyer. Ok, the sell-through thing is a concept I've heard from the ladies on the Clothing board. A bit over my head, So still studying up on that.

But its supposed to be more intuitive on how likely the sale will be successful, a-la-Minority Report.  Boggling.

I shifted the wording around in my titles a bit and ran a search under a different id to see if I came up soon and it's sorta working, more or less. Hard to tell with Jewelry.  Might be easier to gage with big sellers like kids clothing or womens plus size.  Those have huge sell-through rates.  Although I'm topping out the Chinese Seller; this one in particular who is flooding my category --Uhg!

That's why I'm searching for and analytics program to track where my views are coming from, either Google Searches, from within the site, my pinterest, or what.

Please use plain text.
ditzymom_818
Community Member

in reply to ditzymom_818

On other thing, is the ever increasing push toward mobile buyers. Which may be another Topic.  But I do believe the scaling down the description thing is designed to snag the Mobil buyer with the short attention span.

Keep in mind, a lot of listings that you get on the computer do not come up on the mobile. So think about it. That's maybe over 1 million buyers not getting a chance to see your item.  Especially if it's dragged down by the cassini net.

Please use plain text.
ditzymom_818
Community Member

in reply to ditzymom_818

Sorry, meant to credit johnrj1226 with the flowery words insights. my bad.

Please use plain text.
kims-market
Community Member

in reply to ditzymom_818

I did read - in one of those ebay seller's help things - to optimise for mobile by using plain font in descriptions.

I use giant font in my descriptions simply because I've noticed, in other's descriptions, that sometimes it's difficult to even *find* the description on the page (when in plain font) among all the other info on the page.

I have the ebay app on my phone but don't use it much.  I will need to take a closer look at things from the perspective of that app.

Also - the search engine info is quite interesting.  I will research that more too - and appreciate y'all sharing what you have found.  I recently updated all or most of my descriptions with that "first three word" idea.

A question about re-listing - when considering the search engine: after a certain number of re-listings, would it be better to delete the listing and create a new one?

Oh! And someone mentioned analytics.  I was very curious as to whether or not my social networking efforts were worth my time.  I opened a store this month, and with that, get some tracking reports. Not as good as Google analytics - but does show me where my visitors are coming from.  It appears that I'm getting click throughs from my social networking links - so that's good.  I don't know how many of those have led to actual sales though.

Also, according to those reports, I have a very minimum number of click throughs from outside search engines like Google.  The vast majority of my clicks are  coming from within ebay itself.

Please use plain text.
johnrj1226
Community Member

in reply to kims-market

You wrote:

"A question about re-listing - when considering the search engine: after a certain number of re-listings, would it be better to delete the listing and create a new one?"

Here is my take on this question :

What I am doing is when an item goes into my "Unsold Item" Heap,  I just  create a new listing by clicking on the Sell Similar option on the far right of the Unsold item - make a few minor changes and then post it, should be recognized as a new listed item - then all I have to do is immediately go back and delete the unsold item without that little blue circular shaped relist arrow reminder - 'cause  I do have that CRS issue - had it since I was 4.  Takes a little extra time - but my labor rate is worth exactly zero US dollars or peso, francs, pounds, Canadian dollars, yen, Wong, lira, Euros, etc. now - but certainly a lot faster than creating a whole new listing.

Please use plain text.
ditzymom_818
Community Member

in reply to johnrj1226

johnrj1226 wrote:

You wrote:

"A question about re-listing - when considering the search engine: after a certain number of re-listings, would it be better to delete the listing and create a new one?"

Here is my take on this question :

What I am doing is when an item goes into my "Unsold Item" Heap,  I just  create a new listing by clicking on the Sell Similar option on the far right of the Unsold item - make a few minor changes and then post it, should be recognized as a new listed item - then all I have to do is immediately go back and delete the unsold item without that little blue circular shaped relist arrow reminder - 'cause  I do have that CRS issue - had it since I was 4.  Takes a little extra time - but my labor rate is worth exactly zero US dollars or peso, francs, pounds, Canadian dollars, yen, Wong, lira, Euros, etc. now - but certainly a lot faster than creating a whole new listing.

The method described above is SO easy to do on the mobile app.  It really is.  It is actually faster than doing it on the computer.  When I got that app. I was like, let me just try a few listings. And I switched because it cut my listing time in half.

That being said, You do have to go into the computer to put in buyer specifics. The app does not do that yet. Or if you do multiples, you have to do that on the computer.  Also foreign shipping options.  

And it's basically one finger typing. Which is both good and bad. Bad because some sellers don't put anything in their descriptions! Which annoys the older sellers. But good because it forces you to be conconsice.  Also it's suspected that the mobil applications don't pick up the html that well. But I haven't experienced that myself.  I see it all fine on my phone.  But listing on the app eliminates the need for html, the frames, the decorations on the listings. So downs and ups.

But getting back to the to relist or to start anew. It is far easier to make the stale listings new again with "sell similar", and it takes no time. None.

Please use plain text.
chapeau-noir
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to ditzymom_818

There's too much being made of this.  All Cassini is, is a seach engine - it doesn't 'intuit' anything, it doesn't think, it doesn't "like" anything as one dude on his video kept saying, it just mechanically data mines, and being built on Hadoop, it uses a map reduce protocol to spit out results faster because it's drawing from so much data. Like any search engine you want to be as concise as possible so that it doesn't have to 'look' as hard to data match with what the buyer is inputting (i.e., cycle through as many iterations to match colour with object if the buyer is looking for X object of Y colour). The only difference is that Cassini draws from a larger collection of data. That's all. Whereas Voyager drew from titles and a small amount of data from descriptions, Cassini draws from the complete listing and weights what the buyer is looking for based on prior behaviour - this last being utterly out of sellers' control (and actually is irrelevant to a site like this but, well, we're trying to be Amazon so what can I say).

ETA: That was a general remark, not a reply to Ditzymom.

Please use plain text.
65chevyc20
Community Member

in reply to kims-market

try to get your items on or as close as you can to 1st page when searching for an item. Even though the drop down menu for organizing search results is there, "best match" is still by default so I base my searches off that. to test your items, I find it problematic to test my listings any other way. use keywords that are used most often, no garbage. but now since search results are based off of more than just keywords it makes it harder.

Please use plain text.
mzzpost
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to hatter-2-reducks

Well said hatter and I had to give up that kudos to ya!

Attitude is a big part of the equation. You are the business and you put the sizzle in it.

and yes, this is my posting ID :womanhappy:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

****************************************************************************************
Another day, another dollar, another bill... ALMOST paid #$%**!!
Please use plain text.
kims-market
Community Member

in reply to mzzpost

Okay so - another question:

I got one of those special offers this month for thousands of free auction-style listings. With only a limited number of listings left before I have to start paying for each one, I've been taking advantage of thesee free auction style listings (for things I'd probably normally have at BIN)

Though I have a larger number of items listed at shorter times (at the moment) sales have stopped for a couple of days now.

My question is if anyone else has noticed a drop in sales when ebay offers free listings to people.

I opened a store this past month since I've been going over my 50 items. I'd actually go over my 150 this month, if it wasn't for this free-auction offer.  But - if these offers flood ebay with listings, then my listings are getting lost. ...I'm assuming.  I haven't been around long enough to know if this is right or not.

I'm wondering about my books & magazines too - did I read that these are only 5 cents per listing? If I go over my 150, I want to use my books & magazines at the end, right? and not use up my regular 150 listings with these things.

Still trying to figure out the best way to utilize my listings - especially at the end of the month - and how to best respond when ebay is making special offers...   I don't get special offers every month, so how best to respond when I get them, and how best to respond when I don't.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to kims-market

kims-market wrote:

Okay so - another question:

I got one of those special offers this month for thousands of free auction-style listings. With only a limited number of listings left before I have to start paying for each one, I've been taking advantage of thesee free auction style listings (for things I'd probably normally have at BIN)

Though I have a larger number of items listed at shorter times (at the moment) sales have stopped for a couple of days now.

My question is if anyone else has noticed a drop in sales when ebay offers free listings to people.

I opened a store this past month since I've been going over my 50 items. I'd actually go over my 150 this month, if it wasn't for this free-auction offer.  But - if these offers flood ebay with listings, then my listings are getting lost. ...I'm assuming.  I haven't been around long enough to know if this is right or not.

I'm wondering about my books & magazines too - did I read that these are only 5 cents per listing? If I go over my 150, I want to use my books & magazines at the end, right? and not use up my regular 150 listings with these things.

Still trying to figure out the best way to utilize my listings - especially at the end of the month - and how to best respond when ebay is making special offers...   I don't get special offers every month, so how best to respond when I get them, and how best to respond when I don't.

As far as FLDs (Free Listing Days) lowering sales due to flooding the site, I don't experience that effect. I imagine FLDs affect various types of product, differently, but as for my type of product, I don't experience lower sales when FLDs are going on. Usually, if I actually have time to take advantage of the FLD, my sales will increase, not decrease.

As for the book & magazine listing fee, yes, it is 5¢~~~> http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/storefees.html#subscription . After using your free listings, the fixed price insertion fees for books, dvds, movies, music & video games is 5¢. 

Please use plain text.
ditzymom_818
Community Member

in reply to kims-market

Yes, many complain that the free listings lower sales for a bit.  You do get a flood of .99 cent listings

But, with the listing sale, I do believe it does not come off your limits. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong.  And For folks like me that don't have stores, I use this opportunity to list everything during the sales. I keep my 50 free, and I add on to that.

Which, brings me to the 3rd sore subject that keeps coming up.  Some wonder why even have a store if you can list all you want with the listing sales.  Although the store owners get tons of perks folks without store do not get.

Just ride out the sale. The 7-day auction falls to the wayside very quickly, I find.

Please use plain text.
kims-market
Community Member

in reply to alwaysabargain4u

I wish I would have realized that book & magazine thing a few months ago.  Oh well.  This is a learning experience :-)

Please use plain text.