eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Why Do So Many Booksellers Have Foul Body Odor?

Now that it's book sale season again, my enthusiasm for book sales has to be tempered by my aversion to the foul, stinking odor of unwashed behinds and arm pits from some fellow book sellers whom I encounter at the book sales.  What the heck is going on with this? It seems like some of the nastiest people on earth are now selling books.  Yesterday, there was this man whose appearance would make anyone believe that it may have been months since he last washed.  I could smell him from two tables down. Every time we go to book sales, there are at least a handful of people who stink to high heaven and they're all obviously book sellers because of the volume they purchase and their use of scanners. Do we need to start hosing people down before they enter book sales?????

fine.books
Community Member

Re: Why Do So Many Booksellers Have Foul Body Odor?

in reply to onemanstuff

Now that it's book sale season again, my enthusiasm for book sales has to be tempered by my aversion to the foul, stinking odor of unwashed behinds and arm pits from some fellow book sellers whom I encounter at the book sales.  What the heck is going on with this? It seems like some of the nastiest people on earth are now selling books.  Yesterday, there was this man whose appearance would make anyone believe that it may have been months since he last washed.  I could smell him from two tables down. Every time we go to book sales, there are at least a handful of people who stink to high heaven and they're all obviously book sellers because of the volume they purchase and their use of scanners. Do we need to start hosing people down before they enter book sales?????

These are people who sell books, not booksellers.

cumos55
Community Member

in reply to onemanstuff

I show up with my spikey elbow pads....  They pop out when needed...

They have their BO  and beware... Stay away!

greekdrama
Community Member

in reply to onemanstuff

There's a homeless fellow who comes to the book sales in Toronto.  He doesn't avail himself of washing facilities, if any, very often.  But, he loves books.  He saves up his nickles from recycling wine/beer bottles and carefully selects whatever he can afford, usually from the Greek and Latin classics or philosophy sections.  The joy he gets from actually being able to own the books is wonderful to behold -- he always walks out with a beatific smile, cradling the books like precious jewels.

He smells.  He's a book lover.  Always glad to see him at the sales -- although I do try to stay upwind!

maywyn*studio
Community Member

in reply to onemanstuff

Consider bringing hand wipes and such to the next book sale you attend. Those who have odor might appreciate an act of kindness.

chagrinbooks
Community Member

in reply to onemanstuff

This is true at many of the library sales I've attended in the past, I agree. But I don't experience it much at private sales, and it's one of the reasons why I prefer private/estate sales. The most foul patrons I've experienced to date are record collectors/sellers - seriously fringe characters, these people, several of which also show up stinking of not only BO, but alcohol at 7am! It's not a pretty picture.

Community Member

in reply to onemanstuff

I've experienced the same - but I always struck it up to some kind of twisted strategy for honing in on the worthwhile books. When someone is quite "aromatic" the rest of us are repulsed enough to stand back and give him or her (It's almost always a him) a wide berth in front of whatever group of books he has stationed himself in front of.

However unpleasant, it works...as does the bookseller who uses his huge stomach as a weapon against any seller trying to get in his chosen area.

fine.books
Community Member

in reply to onemanstuff

I've experienced the same - but I always struck it up to some kind of twisted strategy for honing in on the worthwhile books. When someone is quite "aromatic" the rest of us are repulsed enough to stand back and give him or her (It's almost always a him) a wide berth in front of whatever group of books he has stationed himself in front of.

However unpleasant, it works...as does the bookseller who uses his huge stomach as a weapon against any seller trying to get in his chosen area.

I've seen that a thousand times at auctions.  Oh, wait, you said, "stomach."  I thought you said, "wallet."

tapestries
Community Member

in reply to onemanstuff

It is a strategy. Filthy clothing, psychotic affect, Smokers, large bodies, large purses, groups of small children, pairs where one works and the other distracts (I am not alleging illegal activity; though there IS that as well.) I think we have a few cigar smokers among this group.

There was one Mpls bookseller housed in a neat old firehouse who certainly did use his tummy presence to corner young ladies though that probably was recreation rather than book gathering.

robssecondjob
Community Member

in reply to onemanstuff

I've seen that a thousand times at auctions.  Oh, wait, you said, "stomach."  I thought you said, "wallet."

Bill Reese says hi...

Community Member

in reply to onemanstuff

Bibliotaphs - I have often wondered if it was possible that some people were using their deplorable body odor as a strategy, but kept thinking to myself, "nah... that's just silly and paranoid," but you may be right!  I have met some sellers who take road trips to go to several large sales in a multi-state area during a summer stretch and I think they may be sleeping in their trucks (no showers) to save money.  There seems to be no limit in this competitive venture to what people will do to get good books.  Although we've met some really nice fellow sellers, the bad experiences are the most humorous or just plain shocking.  For fun, I'll list a few:

1.  As my wife (who was in her wheelchair) was pulling back to her lap her selection of a textbook, a man on the other side of the table reached over and yanked it out of her hands. Due to an illness, her hands are so weak that it was like taking candy from a baby.  The guy laughed about it when she expressed outrage.  This was the meanest experience. Same sale - Mennonite ladies by the pack-load cut line and ran in front of her wheelchair to get in before her. They would have knocked her over if necessary. We expected better of them.

2.   At a really big sale in Allentown, PA last year, a team of huge book sellers hogged up a huge area in between several tables with their boxes and had books spread out all over the floor as they spread their legs and their books as far as possible to make it really hard for anyone to walk through safely with their own cart. It was dangerous for my wife.  They wouldn't move anything, but when another family member began kicking their books and boxes out of the way, they were mad but scrambled.

3.  At a sale at Hershey, PA last year, I watched a young man about in his mid 20's almost knock to the ground a very old woman who was using a walker.  She was in his way....

4.  A woman at a Lancaster, large book sale, told my mother-in-law that she had a "fat a_s" because the woman was angry that she selected an entire pile of like materials to buy the whole pile. 

5.  Routinely, some people will deliberately block access to a large area by using their boxes, bags and small children playing on the floor to keep other people from getting closer to an area.  The people who run the sales often promise to enforce rules about these kinds of things, but they rarely do.

6.  Last summer, at a Hershey library sale, my family waited for hours and hours in the heat and sun to be early in the door.  People had put empty crates and tubs at the front door in a line the night before to "hold" their place in line.  10 minutes before the doors open, about thirty to forty people appear out of nowhere beside those tubs to get in the doors before the people who waited there in person for hours, in the sun, to be first in at the sale.  One woman went right to the front of the line after announcing that because she lived locally, she got to go in first.  Sigh.......

chagrinbooks
Community Member

in reply to onemanstuff

These are people who sell books, not booksellers.

You and I know one who definitely is a sociopath bookseller. :-)

Truly, I've smelled him standing behind me from yards away.

Community Member

in reply to onemanstuff

Now I'm glad I don't go to sales in Pennsylvania. :smileysurprised:

The boxes at the head of the line are a common tactic. Those dealers arrive very early or the previous day and wait in their cars until the sale starts.

Community Member

in reply to onemanstuff

"Why Do So Many Booksellers Have Foul Body Odor?"

best defense is a good offense

------f-j------
deusxlunatii
Community Member

in reply to onemanstuff

Soon enough, the overabundance of the Right Guard at top booksales will trickle down onto the unwashed masses.  Well, I hope that is what trickles.

Last week at auction was very similar to the mosh-pit at a Slipknot concert, but with extra elbows and surpisingly more anger.

galvez_chucke1
Community Member

in reply to onemanstuff

1.  As my wife (who was in her wheelchair) was pulling back to her lap her selection of a textbook, a man on the other side of the table reached over and yanked it out of her hands. Due to an illness, her hands are so weak that it was like taking candy from a baby.  The guy laughed about it when she expressed outrage.  This was the meanest experience. Same sale - Mennonite ladies by the pack-load cut line and ran in front of her wheelchair to get in before her. They would have knocked her over if necessary. We expected better of them.

I have had this happen when out with my mother-in-law in her chair.  I have no problem running them over.  "Sorry, you got in front of her so fast that I could not stop!  I hope your foot does not hurt too badly!"  So many people are so rude and inconsiderate to people in wheel chairs.  I hate taking my wife out in her chair.  She is not as "assertive" as I am, so she gets shoved to the back of the line.  Her mother was a bit more assertive.  After we ran over the feet of the first person who tried to shove her out of the way, she seemed to enjoy seeing hurt feet.

obie_juan_cannoli
Community Member

in reply to onemanstuff

Good on you Chucke, break an ankle next time and really put a dent in their style.

"Less in my pockets meant less on my mind".
~~~~~~~~~~guess
Community Member

in reply to onemanstuff

I would be nervous about attending a typical booksale in a wheelchair because even a nice person who is caught up in the scrum could quickly pivot with a box and hit the person in the head! Of course I hope not! I sometimes see very elderly and frail people at the beginning of a sale and that  makes me uneasy too. 

lyceumdreamsbooks
Community Member

in reply to onemanstuff

ODORDOZER 1000

----- Crushing the Life out of Stinky Booksellers Since 2003 --------

Perfect for you next library booksale or bake sale.

Make an entrance.

Get on tracks and $moosh some sadly scented BookSlingers.

5200093026_tank_wheelchair_resized (1).jpg
3841elizabeth
Community Member

in reply to onemanstuff

Treat the smelly buyers like cattle.

Line em up.

Move em through the chute.

Spray em down.

They will smell nice

and, more important

be bug free.

Liz