eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Shipping Hard Bound Books

I don't plan to become a book seller but I have a few really nice books I would like to sell.

what is the best/cheapest way to package them for shipping.

Thanks in advance for your help.

fine.books
Community Member

Re: Shipping Hard Bound Books

in reply to barginboutique2012

"Best" and "cheapest" are mutually exclusionary.

Community Member

Fine.Books, thanks for the seriously , wonderful help.   I appreciate it so much that you took the time to help!

Community Member

Best/cheapest way: wrap in tissue, seal into plastic bag, wrap in bubble wrap, build plywood container to fit, ship fedex overnight using your credit card and default on the fedex bill.

blue*skies*ahead*
Community Member

Best/cheapest way: wrap in tissue, seal into plastic bag, wrap in bubble wrap, build plywood container to fit, ship fedex overnight using your credit card and default on the fedex bill.

then box the book using filler as needed so it doesn't slide around in the box, and ship it via Media mail with delivery confirmation or Priority Mail (free DC if postage is purchased online) at the buyer's choice.

Works for me, anyway.

the*bumping*squirrel
Community Member

Teh Nutmobile is comings to Cedar Rapids!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!

http://planters.com/sustainability/nutmobile.aspx

Ask Mister Peanuts if he woulds drop off your book to teh customer!  I bet he's real nice and would help you outs!

PS please ask him for me to sends some nutses!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!

kentworld
Community Member

Fine.Books, thanks for the seriously , wonderful help.   I appreciate it so much that you took the time to help!

Now, which would be the appropriate emoticon for the above?  X-( or ;-) or:-x?  B-)Wendy

indianfield
Community Member

I just wrap my books in a bag that I get from the 7-11, I find the waxy ones that they use for pickles work the best. Don't worry about the moisture as the book will soak that right up.

Put the sticker right on the bag with the postage. No need to use tape as the eBay postage sticker is large and will hold it all together.

Make sure you bang the book up a little beforehand so it bends easy, for the mailman to fit in your customer's mailbox.

Pretty much this is the BEST way because it's the CHEAPEST! :-D

fine.books
Community Member

Now, which would be the appropriate emoticon for the above?  X-( or ;-) or:-x?  B-)Wendy

Community Member

Thanks to all off you for all the degrading comments. You have sufficiently brought an old lady to tears. I guess I did'nt realize it was such a stupid question and had a severe misunderstanding that these boards were a place to find. Sorry to have bothered or inconvienced you.

I certainly hope you never find yourself needing a little help!

God Bless you all!!

kentworld
Community Member

Oh dear!  I'm sure no one meant to make you cry, Bargain!  Apologies -- you got the best info in post #4 and the rest is just a bunch of boardies goofing off.  :8}Wendy

Community Member

If you are still reading the general consensus on packing books for shipping is to start with a sturdy box. You can buy these but sometimes find them for free in places like supermarkets (check the dairy aisle).

I put the books in a plastic bag such as a bag from the grocery store again. Wrap in bubble wrap and pack the book in the box with additional filler. Tape well all around. Basically keep in mind that a box will be thrown around by postal workers so pack the book securely.

hope this helps

Community Member

barginboutique Welcome to the Booksellers Board!

Please don't take the above comments personally-- the regulars here sometimes get bored and like to have some fun. Your question gets asked here a lot and blue*skies*ahead* gave you a good answer in post #4.

Here's a thread from a while ago where someone else asked the same question:
http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Booksellers/Newbie-Question-On/5100027592?#msg5100457954

This is the place to ask your questions, especially questions related to books. I'm glad that you are concerned about packing your books well so that they will arrive at their destinations in the same condition that they were in when you ship them. I hope we have answered your question. Please come back and visit with us any time!
obie_juan_cannoli
Community Member

Joe, as fine.books, has a point.

Joe, as the Bumping Squirrel has two points on his skull, finely sharpened and painted red.

I've been shipping books for 12 years, and have had two stupid complaints. One was about the color of the tape. The other that it was too hard to open, which I assume comes from an individual not permitted to use sharp tools.

Mind you, I don't ship 600 year old books worth hundreds of thousands of dollars like Joe does, so if you are talking about some really valuable books, don't pay any attention to what I say.

But I've had no complaints worth paying attention to and I ship 30 books a week that range to $500 in value.

First, a plastic bag. I buy those flimsy produce bags you see in a grocery store and tape the book tight and make sure the seam is sealed. This is to prevent moisture damage along the road.

Then, I wrap in a cardboard tube I cut from recycled boxes.

Then, a kraft paper envelope.

I pay for the tape and envelope only because I've finally run out of that free tape Choosebooks gave away before Amazon bought lhem.

It was yellow: that was what one of the complaints was about. I figure somebody who is afraid of police tape yellow is not honest enough to consider their opinion worthy of consideration even if they did buy an operatic performance.

"Less in my pockets meant less on my mind".
~~~~~~~~~~guess
twangerstudios
Community Member

I don't plan to become a book seller but I have a few really nice books I would like to sell.

what is the best/cheapest way to package them for shipping.

Thanks in advance for your help.

as a buyer i appreciate receiving collectible books bubble wrapped so the corners don't get crunched,

and am willing to pay extra to have it shipped in a box (rather than a bubble bag) to protect from postal handling damage

G'day on eBay ~ ~ ~ Diane