eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Geico
buby44
Community Member

Golden Treasury of Caroline and her Friends

Lucky me, I found this at a local community sale. Not-so-lucky me, the book is in poor shape.The spine is gone, replaced with some binding tape that is falling apart. Many pages are intact, but there are plenty which are completely loose from the center binding. Aside from that, I think all the pages are here. There are a couple of rips, repaired with scotch tape (I know.) Also I noticed a chunk out of a page, but I don't think it had any text, just color.

I know a conservator/repair person can fix a great deal of this. I could probably get a decent estimate from a man who recently did a family Bible for my mother-in-law.

What's my best bet: getting the book fixed, in order to sell for a higher price, or getting the fast nickel? I see a copy went for $1K+ in March. Another one on the River for a similar price.Time isn't an issue; I can hold on to it. Unless the reprint is on the horizon!

Thanks,

Pat

Please use plain text.
tapestries
Community Member

Re: Golden Treasury of Caroline and her Friends

in reply to buby44

Nice find!  I can't think how a good conservation job could be anything but costly. I tend to let the buyer choose for themselves.  It's so much harder to correct once done.

That said, you know how gifted your restorer is and how much they undervalue their work. :-D

Please use plain text.
buby44
Community Member

in reply to buby44

Thanks, tapestries!

I'm trying to guesstimate some value of the book as-is. I'm pretty sure even if it were repaired it would not be in the same ballpark as the VG copies out there. OTOH, not that many to be had.

I can always just list it and see what happens; just don't want to give it away for a song if repairing it would pay me back.

Mysteries of life.

Please use plain text.
picture*books
Community Member

in reply to buby44

Normally I would not suggest spending good money to refurbish a collectible children's book. In the case of Caroline, I might make an exception. Might.

Pierre Probst's Caroline has a passionate nostalgic interest, for example reference this page at Loganberry. Read through some of the hundreds of comments toward the bottom of the page.

People routinely pay a nice amount for copies on eBay (in the $400-$1000). People pay these nice amounts in part because the English language versions of the books are no longer in print. I think in most instances the buyers are not buying for 'first edition' or collectible reasons, but instead for nostalgic reasons. They read the book as a child and remember them with fondness.

Value should remain high unless, as the OP stated, "Unless the reprint is on the horizon!" I don't know if the background smoking and wine bottles at the picnics are the reason for no reprints. If so, then reprints will likely be edited, in which case the originals will still hold value.

Please use plain text.
picture*books
Community Member

in reply to buby44

Another consideration is the value your conservator can provide as compared to a novice acquiring those same services.

For example, I would much prefer fine.books or lux-et-umbra or bibliomonster manage the delicate repair of a book rather than I. Not only could they direct the conservator more precisely than I, but could also get the equivalent work done less expensively. In the end, the result would be less expensive, professionally managed, and better quality than if I were to stumble through managing similar services.

In your case, since you have the experience and the contact, you might be able to add $200 of service for half the cost if managed by a novice unfamiliar with book conservation.

The question is whether the prospective buyers will realize the added value. In the case of incunabula, it is a difficult question to answer - when books are centuries old, some purists would want the book in the original state no matter how tattered. The tatters tell a story.

In the case of a 1960's children's book, I don't know that spineless, ripped, and taped is the fond state of remembrance.

Please use plain text.
fine.books
Community Member

in reply to buby44

Another consideration is the value your conservator can provide as compared to a novice acquiring those same services.

For example, I would much prefer fine.books or lux-et-umbra or bibliomonster manage the delicate repair of a book rather than I. Not only could they direct the conservator more precisely than I, but could also get the equivalent work done less expensively. In the end, the result would be less expensive, professionally managed, and better quality than if I were to stumble through managing similar services.

Please use plain text.
picture*books
Community Member

in reply to buby44

Amazing, that is exactly how the 1961 Golden Treasury of Caroline looked when it was originally published!!

Please use plain text.
buby44
Community Member

in reply to buby44

picture*books and fine.books: Thanks! I had no idea!

Looks as if I have more research ahead of me. If it were just shabbiness, I would probably do my best to spruce it up and get on with the listing. The freed pages make it (afaic) less desirable for the collector who wants to share it with a new generation, which is why some measure of conservation/restoration seems like a good idea.

My daughter has connections to book people through the local college, which is why I even consider managing this.

Thanks all, and I welcome any further suggestions!

Please use plain text.
lyceumdreamsbooks
Community Member

in reply to buby44

If you can get the repairs needed for less than $150-$200 then you may have a chance to come out in the profit. That will be a tall task with a spine replacement, page mending, reglue\resew and probably more----basically this book has to be taken apart and built again from the ground up with a lot of fabrication for missing elements.

This will be a time consuming process and will likely exceed your budget.  Also, not all repair\conservation is alike. A replaced spine can be an unsightly and obvious mess when dealing with someone who is not very skilled. Also, just to clarify, a conservationist is not the same thing as a bookbinder. In this case, you need a good bookbinder, (read: expensive), someone with the skills and knowledge to rebuild this book. Many bookbinders also have some of the prerequisite skills of a conservationist, but again, these are two competely separate professional endeavors.

That said, you got this at a community sale, likely very cheap, and as a wise bookman (Kraus) once said, never miss a chance to make a sale if it puts you in the profit. That means sometimes taking what you can get and moving forward. Sell it as is. If you had cash already invested it may have been a different story.

The only reason to take on a repair project in this instance with a book that sounds to be very far gone would be for personal experience and not necessarily related to profit.

First things first I suppose. Collate the book and see if it is even all there.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to buby44

I have just come across a copy of this book, dated 1961. It has the white cover. I am not an expert on books, but seems to me to be for the most part in very good condition. Has a little bit of wear on the corners, and a light crease where you open the book on the front, a touch of dirt here and there, but other than that the binding seems to be secure and the pages are great. Not sure what the going rate is on this book, have not been able to find much about it except for one of the links mentioned here and from a response of a blogger that is interested in the book. Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to buby44

I am going to try to add a picture of the book I have. Hopefully it will come out ok

5200048317_caroline.jpg
Please use plain text.
imagine.ink
Community Member

in reply to buby44
Please use plain text.
sigmapsidelta
Community Member

in reply to buby44

I'd never heard of this item until this thread. It is now, however, at the front of my mind when digging in junk shops.

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to buby44

Thank you for your response. I had seen this link but there are really only a couple out there. Well, never know about price on ebay, am going to just list it tomorrow and see what comes! After conversing with someone else, I believe I will start it at 200.00. Wish me luck! and thanks again,

Please use plain text.
buby44
Community Member

in reply to buby44

Hey, gizmok, good luck with your auction! I'm glad my messed-up copy clued more people into this very valuable book.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to buby44
bump
Please use plain text.
bibliomonster
Community Member

in reply to buby44

Just thought I'd comment since the question of restoration came up....

It sounds like the OP has a copy of a popular title that has been unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your perspective) handled by tiny little grubby hands.

If you have ALL the pieces / parts of a book it's possible with the skill and attention of a trained hand (or professional) to at least get back 95% or more of the original appearance which might entice a collector or someone else attempting to reconstruct childhood memories.

However, if you have portions of the book which are horribly damaged, or worse - perished (lost) you then are now faced with either leaving it as it was or adding new materials which slices out a huge portion of collectors.

Most true collectors despise heavy restoration and replaced 'non original' book parts.  Just observe prices on virtually any collectible area from American furniture to comic books and you'll find the disaproval noted in the price deltas between original and restored with new material. (there are notable exceptions with antiquarian books, but that's a whole nuther' topic)

Anyway, in sum, my rule of thumb is unless you're going to add on a digit by (3 to 4 figures; 4 to 5 figures, etc.) restoring a thing, it's best to just leave it alone and sell as is.  We haven't seen a pic of the OP book in question, but based on the cursory written description, it sounds like a copy to merely sell it as it was found. Sprung signatures, spine losses, and blown hinges are tough to mend on glossy bound books of that era at a 'makes sense' (i.e. economically feasible) price.

Best wishes and thanks for sharing.

~ Pretiumque et Causa Laboris ~
Please use plain text.
buby44
Community Member

in reply to buby44

Hey, thanks all, for the continued interest in Caroline and Her Friends. Special thanks for rescuing the thread after ebay whisked it away (I presume that's what happened.)

I saw the fabulous completed price for the clean, intact version, thanks to , picture*books, and also the less-than perfect copy that still garnered $100 or so. I think I will make myself start taking pics again, and let the Probst pages go as they are, and let someone else decide what to do with them.

I haven't sold anything in a long while, so I'll have to get acquainted with all the new "improvements" that have been made in the meantime. All of you who continue to list and post and sell and research have my deep respect and admiration. It's lots of work, and keeping current with the market is not very simple.

Thanks again,

Pat

Please use plain text.