eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Annotated Alice by Lewis Carroll Is this a 1st ed/1st print???

My copy of this book identical to one that just sold on Ebay, except for the notations under the Copyright Publisher's Info.

Mine has the small case letter n  o.

The other copy has large case letters A A.

The book does not indicate which edition and printing it is, and I am wondering if this is the indicator.

Thanks in advance for any help.

5100058446_007.JPG
Please use plain text.
fine.books
Community Member

Re: Annotated Alice by Lewis Carroll Is this a 1st ed/1st print???

in reply to ddcoinscoins

Yours is a reprint by Bramhill House; the First was published by Meckler:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bi=0&bx=off&ds=30&recentlyadded=all&sortby=1&sts=t&tn=Annotated+Alice&x=41&y=11

If you're referring to this auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lewis-Carroll-THE-ANNOTATED-ALICE-Martin-Gardner-HCDJ-/251152117576?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item3a79d52f48&nma=true&si=wxe%2F089TQHrZNhC5%2FKWoKp%2FkjWY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

this book wasn't a First Edition either - it was misidentified as such.

Please use plain text.
ksmrkt
Community Member

in reply to ddcoinscoins

fine.books,

I may be wrong, but I don't think that the book published by Meckler is the same title as the book that ddcoins is asking about, nor is the book published by Meckler the same as the auction that you linked to. 

Please use plain text.
obie_juan_cannoli
Community Member

in reply to ddcoinscoins

http://www.vialibri.net/cgi-bin/book_search.php?refer=start&titleword=The+Annotated+Alice&yearmax=19...

I knew I remembered unboxing them in the 70's.

"Less in my pockets meant less on my mind".
~~~~~~~~~~guess
Please use plain text.
fine.books
Community Member

in reply to ddcoinscoins

fine.books,

I may be wrong, but I don't think that the book published by Meckler is the same title as the book that ddcoins is asking about, nor is the book published by Meckler the same as the auction that you linked to.

From the link:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=6988942255&searchurl=bi%3D0%26bx%3Doff%26ds%3D30%26recentlyadded%3Dall%26sortby%3D1%26sts%3Dt%26tn%3DAnnotated%2BAlice%26x%3D41%26y%3D11

Same title; same author (Martin Gardner).

Please use plain text.
ksmrkt
Community Member

in reply to ddcoinscoins

I guess I must be missing something.

How is this book published by Meckler with a publication date of 1990 ( authors are Charles Lovett and Stephanie Lovett): http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1907327627&searchurl=bi%3D0%26bx%3Doff%26ds%3D30%26...

the same as a 1960 book with author listed as Martin Gardner?

Please use plain text.
ksmrkt
Community Member

in reply to ddcoinscoins

For ddcoins:

I can't really help wth any definitive information about your book. I did look in Zempel and Verkler for information about the publisher. The oldest information I found was for 1976. That was not much help. I cannot find anything for this publisher that relates to the letters "n o " that appear on your copyright page.

My gut feeling is that if your book does not have an ISBN number on the copyright page or on the back of the dustjacket it is maybe a reprint from the 60s.

The book seems to have been reprinted many times. I think, for an earlier copy, that maybe condition is more important than the printing number.

Someone else may chime in with more or better info.

Please use plain text.
ksmrkt
Community Member

in reply to ddcoinscoins

Oops -- instead of saying

"a reprint from the 60s",I should have said "a later printing from the 60s"

Please use plain text.
fine.books
Community Member

in reply to ddcoinscoins

What's unclear about the phrase "BRAMHALL HOUSE REPRINT?"

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=6312977858&searchurl=an%3Dmartin%26bi%3D0%26bx%3Doff%26ds%3D30%26recentlyadded%3Dall%26sortby%3D1%26sts%3Dt%26tn%3Dannotated%2Balice%26x%3D89%26y%3D6

Please use plain text.
cornercube
Community Member

in reply to ddcoinscoins

Joe, I believe you misstated.

Clarkson N. Potter published the First Edition in 1960, not Meckler.

Bramwell reprinted the same year, and later.

Gardner's contributions can be confusing. The original work published in 1960 contained Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. It included the original illustrations by John Tenniel and Gardner's annotations in a wide margin.

Garner added More Annotated Alice in 1990. It includes Carroll's works (including a missing chapter), but not Tenniel's illustrations. It has different annotations, and does not include those of the 1960 work.

A combined volume was published in 1999. That's the one the reader should get. The collector wants the 1960 Annotated published by Potter.

Google and Wikipedia are not substitutes for education or intelligence.
— cornercube, 2009

Please use plain text.
ksmrkt
Community Member

in reply to ddcoinscoins

With all due respect, I think you are wrong.  The book published by Meckler in 1990 and the book  shown in ddcoins original post are not the same book. 

Show me where I am wrong.  Your posts, other than the first post to this thread,  do not show any book published by Meckler.  You say that the first was Meckler, but you have not addressed the fact that the book published by Meckler shows a publication date of 1990.  The book published by Bramhall shows a publication date of 1960.   

Please use plain text.
fine.books
Community Member

in reply to ddcoinscoins

Joe, I believe you misstated.

Clarkson N. Potter published the First Edition in 1960, not Meckler.

Odd - I actually copied and pasted the publisher's name - Clarkson N. Potter - in Post 1 from and ABE listing.  I clearly did, indeed, copy the wrong publisher.  Post 1 should have read "Potter" and not "Meckler."

Please use plain text.
ksmrkt
Community Member

in reply to ddcoinscoins

Bramhall was a division of Clarkson N. Potter. 

That information is right there in the OP's photo.

Jeez!

Please use plain text.
cornercube
Community Member

in reply to ddcoinscoins

I have Bramwell listed as the reprint division/imprint of Clarkson Potter.

I also have the First Edition of the Annoted Alice with a blue dust jacket.

In any case, the copyright page shown by the OP is a much later edition--the First would have an "A" (not the "AA" shown in the eBay auction. Reprints in hardcover and softcover totaled hundred of thousands.

Google and Wikipedia are not substitutes for education or intelligence.
— cornercube, 2009

Please use plain text.
ksmrkt
Community Member

in reply to ddcoinscoins

This thread has been nagging at me all day.

I agree that the book shown by the author of this thread is a later printing.  No problem.  That is not the thing that is bothering me.

What bothers me is this:   an auction seller ( of the book shown in the link on post 1) was somewhat maligned by the statement that the book he/she sold was not what the seller stated.  That bothers me greatly. There was nothing authoritative to back up that statement.

Most probably no one involved with that sale will see this thread.  But what if the buyer or seller DOES see the thread. I do not think that any of the responses on this thread gave any authoritative information to dispute that seller's claim of a first printing.  Quite the contrary.

There were links to listings from abebooks.

I looked rather closely at a BUNCH of listings for that book on abebooks.

One book that states "Clarkson Potter" as the publisher has a picture that clearly shows "Bramhall House" on the spine of the dustjacket.  One listing with a scan of a rather darker blue cover ( Cornercube said it should be blue)  states that the publisher is Bramhall, not Clarkson Potter.  I have not seen anything definitive.

I am disturbed by this.  Don't know why, exactly.  I just am.

Done with my rant now.  ( I think)

Please use plain text.
jeanpaulbooks
Community Member

in reply to ddcoinscoins
Looking at the Abebook entries, it looks like The Clarkson Potter first edition states "First Edition." The auction copy referenced, published by Bramahall House, does not.
Please use plain text.
ksmrkt
Community Member

in reply to ddcoinscoins

Thanks, jeanpaul books.  I should have seen that.  Duh.

I apologize to all for my stupid rant.

Please use plain text.