eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Geico
Community Member

10 day vs. 7 day auctions

Although auctions are dead, I'm still doing them when (a) after some work I really can't gauge what I should ask at fixed price; (b) I think there will be competition for an item; (c) I'm hoping to generate cash flow.

For those of you who have done a fair amount of 10 day auctions, have you noticed a benefit vs. 7 day auctions?  I figured for the extra 40 cents and starting on a Thursday or Friday, the item would get exposure over two weekends and still end on a Sunday or Monday.

I can't think of a downside other than 40 cents and waiting an extra three days.

Thoughts appreciated as always.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: 10 day vs. 7 day auctions

in reply to shakhammer8u4s

Do some buyers not like having to wait around for an extra 3 days to see if they win? I do not know the answer.

Please use plain text.
kentworld
Community Member

I dislike 10 day auctions.  And the seller pays extra.  I think that the reasoning was that with a 10 day auction, you could start it so that you could have 2 full weekends to attract watchers/bidders.

Please use plain text.
tapestries
Community Member

Thought it was .10 cents.  If It's Thursday and I want to end the auction on Sunday,  it's useful.  I am noticing too, that if you have a nice fat buy it now,  Sometimes they do... and other times they at least bid to make the BIN go away.  Much nicer than no getting no bid.

Please use plain text.
bibliomonster
Community Member

You already hit on the chief reason for using 10 day auctions.....Catching two weekends.

Occasionally, I use them if I happen to be listing on a week that's a 'non-payday' week for those who are paid semi-monthly or every two weeks.

It would be interesting to see CURRENT bidder search data for Ebay w/ respect to daytime searching vs. night searches and other search specifics.  

I wonder how many folks search at work vs. at home. On weekends vs. weekday, etc. Workplace IT trolls have cracked down on FB, A-zon, and Ebay searching during work hours, but with the ability to search via mobile devices, I wonder how much that matters anymore ??

I should start asking my customers how often they bought via a mobile device vs. a desktop.  Personally, I track auctions on my phone and Ipad, but rarely 'close the deal' that way unless I've setup a snipe.

Lotsa questions we should be asking regarding search.

Most of us haven't altered much about how, where and when we list given the changes in Ebay and internet search from 98' to now.

~ Pretiumque et Causa Laboris ~
Please use plain text.