eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
how is it that I keep getting overbid as soon as I've placed a bid?

I keep getting outbid as soon as I'vve placed a bid, what gives?

Other Answers: 3
burgerking1_1
Community Member
Answered
in reply to swil8979

It may be that the seller has placed a reserve price on the item.It will say your outbid til the reserve is met.This has happened to me as well.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to swil8979

EBay is not a bid and counter bid kind of auction even though they seem to make it LOOK LIKE one.  In reality, eBay auctions are more like a timed sealed bid kind of auction that uses proxy bidding (aka automatic bidding).

Proxy bidding allows you to enter a bid for the MOST that YOU are willing to pay and eBay will only use enough of your bid to keep you in the lead until you win or are outbid.  The leading amount is calculated to be no more than one bid increment above the second highest bid and any amount over that is held hidden until it is needed to counter new bids.

Proxy bidding makes it always the HIGHEST bid not necessarily the last bid that wins.  With proxy bidding, you can enter the winning bid in the first second, the last second or at any time in between.

What you are experiencing is another bidder who has entered his maximum bid and are immediately being outbid by his "proxy" bid. All bids are considered max bids to be used for automatic bidding.  It is just that if you only bid the minimum amount, eBay has nothing left to use for automatic bidding. 

EBay tells you the MINIMUM amount that you must bid.  You can enter a bid for any amount as long as you are willing to pay that if needed and eBay will use automatic bidding to help you win without all of that bid and counter bidding in small increments.

When a bid is entered, the full amount is compared to the leader's full bid amount.  Whichever bid is higher outbids the lessor bid and the new showing amount is set at no more than one bid increment above the second highest bid.

kraloe
Community Member
Answered
in reply to swil8979

Read about how eBay's Automatic bidding works:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/automatic-bidding.html