eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Why must a buyer link paypal with ebay before being able to bid on certain items

Why must a buyer link paypal with ebay before being able to bid on certain items? Not fair. I have been an ebay memebr for thirteen years, and have a 100 % feedback. Yet, I am restriced from bidding on certian items just because my accounts are not linked. I had my identity stolen when I HAD MY ACCOUNTS LINKED, and I un-linked them for security. So now ebay punishes good buyers from bidding if you do not link. This is not a fair practice.

Linking should be an option, but not restrict a buyer

Other Answers: 8
kraloe
Community Member
Answered
in reply to beatrice01

Sellers have a right to block bidders who don't have a PayPal account. and as far as eBay bidding is concerned, you don't have one. Your "punishment" is of your own making. 

Linking your accounts is not why your identity was stolen.

cute.shoes
Community Member
Answered
in reply to beatrice01

Because the scam / con artists do NOT have  PayPal account, sellers can choose the option to ONLY accept bids from members with a PayPal account (that is linked).  It is a layer of protection of sellers.

I'm sure you can find some sellers who don't know about this protection. And have not set their buyer requirements accordingly.

nc-daydreamer
Community Member
Answered
in reply to beatrice01

You can create a secondary bank account, and link that to your PayPal - and only keep a minimum balance there - and don't use it for any other purchases.

=====================================
Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily.
Community Member
Answered
in reply to beatrice01

Sellers have the option to set up their buyer requirements  to block buyers who don't have a Paypal account linked to their eBay account. It's a good way to avoid scammers, sport bidders, and throwaway IDs.  It's unfortunate that you have been caught in this block, but sellers have to protect their own interests too.

Having 100% feedback doesn't matter. Sellers have been unable to leave negative feedback for buyers for over 5 years, so all buyers have 100% feedback. 

aeristilheartly
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to beatrice01

I had my identity stolen from my Paypal account once, but they never took control of my eBay account... and I've also had it vice versa, where someone took control of my eBay account and not my Paypal account.

The only way they can get both, is if you choose to use the same password... That's almost a guarantee because if they can get into one, they will try the same information to get into the other so it's always important to have different information for both accounts before linking :smileyhappy:

centerhill73
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to beatrice01

If you tried selling under the current system and all the scam artists and thieves that are now trolling online sales sites, you would understand why sellers have to protect their interests.

Most thieves do not have a paypal account because it is too easily tracked, so smart ebay sellers block buyers that do not have a paypal account. Since ebay cannot tell if you have a paypal account unless it is linked, then the ebay blocks will restrict you from buying from those sellers.

Scam artists are developing new ways to steal every day, and sellers must be very careful. If you want to purchase many things on ebay, link your accounts. Linked accounts do not increase your exposure at all. Ebay protects everything completely. A stolen ID or account is nearly always because the owner of the account gave away the information to the thief.

Since you are so concerned about the security of YOUR account, surely you can understand why sellers have to be careful.

inceptions
Community Member
Answered
in reply to beatrice01

You don't have to link your accounts, but if you don't, you'll have a hard time finding sellers you can buy from.

Linking your accounts did not lead to identity theft. If you continue to believe that, then you are at risk of it happening again because you don't understand what you did that resulted in in.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to beatrice01

Well...ok, I'm open to suggestions from the OP.

What would be a better solution for you?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Experience is something you don't often have until after it's needed.

Join the...
--- Follow Me and I will Follow You Campaign ---