eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Why does BUY IT NOW disappear when a bid is made?
If I have an item that I list for $150 Buy It Now, but start bidding at $50, why does the BIN disappear when the first bid is made? I thought the BIN stayed in place even if bidding is going on. Did that change? (I haven't sold on Ebay in a long time.)
Other Answers: 12
heartline59
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tmcamp626

This policy can hurt sellers.  Say I list something with a reserve of $150 and a BIN of $210.  Then if someone hits my reserve at $150, my BIN disappears.  Then another person comes along and wants the item bad enough to pay the $210, but the eBay policy now prevents this.  So now I must let the auction continue.  If the auction ends with no more bids, I end up selling for the $150.  The ebay policy just cost me $60.  If it's my auction and I put the BIN in place, shouldn't I be allowed to sell to someone at the BIN at any time?  And shouldn't I be allowed to remove the BIN at any time?  And if the auction reaches the BIN, then the item would just sell for that amount and I'd be happy, even if there was the possibility that the auction price might have gone higher.  

danimalcamera
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tmcamp626

I do not like this policy.

Example:  I set my BIN price at $850 and start the bidding at $100, I get bids right away since I know the value of my item is around $700.

I know it is unlikley that the bids will go over $700 but if it gets close, someone may hit the BIN price to secure the purchase.

Additionally making the BIN price a reasonable amount above what you expect to sell it for gives bidders confidence they are getting a good deal in that price range.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to tmcamp626
It's a bad policy. As a seller, I would like to place the BIN about 5% above what I consider the market value. This would encourage people that really want it to buy it so they don't risk losing it.
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tmcamp626

It's not really fair to bidders or the seller if the bidding starts heating up and someone just snags the item. Why even bother bidding? The whole concept of an auction versus a Buy It Now is that the buyer wants the lowest price they can get and the best price wins. That is completely shut down if the Buy It Now remains in place.

A lot of people who look at auctions don't want to put a bid in right away so they "watch" the item. Most "watchers" lose track of the auction. If you want to have you item sell, which is the purpose of an auciton (as opposed to a Buy It Now option that you can sit on until it sells), having a Buy It Now option that disappears  when the first bid is made, is a good way for an experienced seller to encourage an early bid. The idea is that the bidder wants the item and doesn't want to snag something from them, so they put in a bid to shut that option down.

I've had auctions where the item went high above the Buy It Now price that I set for it. That wouldn't have been possible if the Buy It Now option was left open. I would never set your starting price for under what you are willing to part with it for or make a profit from. That way, if you can get one bid, the auciton was worth while. I would also recommend doing a search before posting to see how much others are listing what you want to sell so you can set your price to move it.  

Community Member
Answered
in reply to tmcamp626

This did not used to be the case - in the old days it used to stay until the auction was over or someone took a buy it now.

I wish they would revert back to the old days.

Someone places a 99 cent bid and it f$#$# it up for everyone.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to tmcamp626
Hasn't changed in the last 8 years -- except for a few categories where eBay has made the BIN more durable, allowing it to remain until bidding reaches 50% of the BIN price. (clothing is one of those categories) Good Luck!!! Hal
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tmcamp626
... The Buy It Now (BIN) option is normally only shown on listings until an item receives its first bid, or for a Reserve Price Auction, when the reserve is met. Without a reserve, the seller gives the first bidder the choice to grab it right away with the BIN option or to compete against others in a normal auction format. Only eBay motors parts and accessories, clothing and shoes, tickets and cell phones/PDA's keep the BIN until 50% of the BIN value has been reached by bidding. ... Go here for BIN information: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/bin.html or here; http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/questions/buy-it-now.html
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tmcamp626

Given all the above discussion it is clear there is more than one view of the psychology of bidding and the effect having a BIN that persists might have.

Why does ebay not just give us the option to choose?

Starts at 0.99

BIN  $100

BIN Ceases at X% of BIN

If you set X = <1%   BIN will disappear as soon as anyone bids (even at 0.99)

X>1 < x*100 - BIN will disappear when a bid exceeds x%

X= 100% Bin will remain, until bids reach BIN

Maths is easy - coding would be just as easy.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to tmcamp626

I disagree with most of beanlynch answer. The BIN percentage should be raised well over 50%. Maybe somewhere in the 80% to 90% range because we are talking about high priced items where 10-20% is significant, eBay made sure of this by only applying this policy to certain categories. A buyer should be able to come to eBay and secure an item if they can Buy It Now. Everyone sets their BIN at a profit, if you don't then I don't know what you're doing. But everyone will be happy at the BIN price. The seller made what they wanted and they can ship faster (that's why eBay setup the shipping cutoff time, right?), the buyer got the item they wanted (and fast), and eBay and PayPal make off like bandits with their super high cuts. Everyone is happy.

eBay has to review that percentage and increase it significantly because 50% is not right when you are talking 100's of dollars (or whatever currency in high amounts).

woodland_gnome
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tmcamp626
If the BIN stayed up forever, it would act as a cap on the auction price. (Would you really like to see the second bidder's bid reveal that the first bidder's bid was $10 over the BIN and the second bidder's was higher than that, or vice versa, and then see the second bidder hurry up and take the BIN at the lower price?) For information on Longer Lasting BINs (a/k/a Semi-Persistent BINs a/k/a Sticky BINs) go here: http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?threadID=2000449591 (note: you can stop reading after post #11, no further word from eBay after that, just discussion).
mremerick
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tmcamp626

I agree that this is a bad policy.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't always like this.  This essentially makes "Buy it now" useless in an auction.  Even if the seller sets the "buy it now" option at a competitive market value, there will most likely be a bidder that will underbid the item just in case he wins it on a fluke.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to tmcamp626
tgetz5d2c: While it uw indeed valuable to know your opinions, what really matters here is eBay policy and how to interpret/incorporate them.