eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
wniece
Community Member
What does "private listing - bidders' identities protected" mean?

This keeps showing up on all of the bids on one site on every single item I am bidding on. It almost seems as if the seller has it triggered to increase until they get the price they want! Has this happened to anyone else?

Other Answers: 17
Community Member
Answered
in reply to wniece

Private listing means the seller set the auction so that only he/she can see the bidders ebay id. (often used when selling high priced collectables/items, where collectors are likely not to want others aware they won such a pricey item. And also used in the adult section or in main ebay selling adult related items where buyers would rather keep those type of purchases private)

Even though ebay "hides" bidders id with their n***9 or i***v or similar code, it is not too difficult to find out the bidder's ebay id. (you bookmark the item and then after a few weeks you check the sellers feedback and if the buyer left feedback...well there is their ebay id in full display & the item they purchased) With a "private listing" when a buyer leaves feedback,only their ebay id is shown and nothing about the item purchased. See my feedback to see what a private listing feedback looks like.

maddysvintagejewelry
Community Member
Answered
in reply to wniece

If it's totally "legit" why does the item get relisted???????

Community Member
Answered
in reply to wniece

I too see this occasionally and I understand that it is completely legit.  However, anything can be abused - right? 

What might help relieve the "ghost bidder" concerns would be to assign a specific code or symbol (1 per ebay ID) to each Individual bidder (e.g. Private Bidder *777) viewable by all who place a bid. 

So while their ID is protected from public view, bidders would know if and how many different bidders were in the game.  That way if you saw "Private Bidder *777" as the only other one bidding - you could decide if you wanted to continue.

ebay/PayPal do a great job with thier Internet Security and Fraud Protection (better than somebanks actually).  So it really doesn't bother me too much. In today's world it is always smart to keep your eye's open - but paranoia will destroy ya.

Great discussion board, intelligent responses. Maybe ebay will pick up on this and come up with a unique solution to help alleviate concerns.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to wniece
It happens often on items when I am bidding, and I too, question its legitimacy.
mesheltons
Community Member
Answered
in reply to wniece

I found out today that if a buyer leaves negative comments on a broken item from the seller then the seller will BLOCK future bidding from you. That is when this appears ..."private listing- bidders identity protected" That way they can see that a buyer that left negative comments about poor service will not have another opportunity. Ebay said this is perfectly ok.

dylanzmom06
Community Member
Answered
in reply to wniece
I see "Private Listing" on a few lower priced, non-adult content things I've been bidding on lately. And if I don't wind up winning these itms, most of the time I conveniently get a "second chance" offer. It does seem suspicious, I'm sorry. I'm not saying all those private listing auctions are fraudulent, but it does give some less than honest sellers a way to deceive buyers, & drive up the bidding smh. After keeping an eye on some of these auctions for the past few months, I am going to stop bidding on private listing items. Shame eBay has changed so much. It's so hard to find things I need or want that aren't coming from China.
Community Member
Answered
in reply to wniece
I think it is a way to have friends bid up an item. Don't like it and stop bidding when I see it..and not on high end stuff, either. Who wants a private listing for modest items... Suspicious.
kraloe
Community Member
Answered
in reply to wniece

Info here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/private.html

But it almost seems that you are unaware that aren't obligated to bid on Private auctions. I'm sure the seller would be relieved if you just moved on to other auctions, since you suspect he is a criminal.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to wniece
YOU are bidding on Private Listings. And no, the seller is not committing a felony. If you find Private Listings suspicious, just don't bid on them. But it's not nice to accuse others of wrongdoing just because you don't understand what's going on.
Community Member
Answered
in reply to wniece

Don't listen to tyler he is one an ebay employee trying to cover up how ebay has figured out a way to help shrill bidders so they make more money, even when you look at feedback it doesn't show the buyers full id ir shows the same thing you see when you look for shrill bidders R****D etc. Ebay now encourages shrill bidding so they make more money. You should never bid on an item when they show bidders: private listing - bidders' identities protected) these are sellers who shrill bid there items up.

wniece wrote:

This keeps showing up on all of the bids on one site on every single item I am bidding on. It almost seems as if the seller has it triggered to increase until they get the price they want! Has this happened to anyone else?

Community Member
Answered
in reply to wniece
It happens often on items when I am bidding, and I too, questionits legiticy.
Community Member
Answered
in reply to wniece
It helps to know who is the bidder. You learn how high they will go on a given item and whether you should quit. I find it frequently even on very low price items and at frequent small increments and intervals. That completely hidden identity does make it appear suspiciously an attempt to up the bid. So why, as a buyer or seller put yourself in that position of questions?
Community Member
Answered
in reply to wniece

I believe bidding at the last moment is not intended to spite other bidders, but rather for proctection against dishonest sellers (who might be using another ebay account to increase the highest bid to just below our maximum offer).

Community Member
Answered
in reply to wniece

WHY IS IT SUCH A BIG SECRET? I ahve been trying to figure this one out for many years. All I can guess is that these people that are masked and hidding their identities for a reason! They may be very important people in goverment or may be very rich who knows but they do not want others to see them. I was just looking at a item a few minutes ago and I could see my identity and many others identity's but a few biders had their ID's masked and said PRIVATE! THE BIG QUESTION IS WHY IS IT SUCH A BIG SECRET ?

Community Member
Answered
in reply to wniece

Seller although unable to bid him/herself  can always ask (a friend etc) to put in a bid, Simple. Jake.

wniece wrote:

maggie_kai
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to wniece

There are other bidders, which is allowed.   One of those bidders has a proxy bid that has not been fully revealed.   Each time you bid (why are you bidding more than once at your true maximum bid amount), your bid is compared to their hidden proxy bid and the highest bid remains on top.

Do not go down the path to accusing someone of a felony (shill bidding) until you have done thorough research.

If you are not happy with how the proxy bid process works, ebay may not be for you.

As far as why does it get relisted....is it a one-of-a-kind antique item?   If not, the seller has more than one available.   Or if it is a one-of-a-kind item, perhaps the buyers aren't paying.....  

jrrsyp
Community Member
Answered
in reply to wniece

Private bidders look mighty suspicious.