eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
carriedawayboston
Community Member
Should I tell my bidders what my reserve price is?

I have an item up for auction with a reserve price. I have a few bidders bidding on the item. One of them has emailed me asking me what the reserve price is set at. Should I share this information or keep it to myself? Thank you!

Other Answers: 10
Community Member
Answered
in reply to carriedawayboston

I actually have only put a reserve on 1 listing since I've been selling on Ebay. (before all the 50 freebies per month & back when I was fairly knew)

I came to the AC back then & read about reserves & many said to either tell if asked or just state it in the listing.

So when I created my listing, I put a statement in my description that was a bit larger Font & bolded.

"I am wanting at least $xxxxx for this item. Thank you for your interest"

$xxxx being the reserve price I set.

Ignorance is not a disease ..... It's a choice!
andybrowne111
Community Member
Answered

All good answers, but it really boils down to choice. I tell them in a second. Just because i have say 5 items up at 345.67 and 1 starts at 2.45 with a reserve. All same item, Most can figure it out- not every one. There are to many dis-honest and non educated sellers/consumers out there in my categories. I see items listed as item 1x1x2 and its really 0x0-1, not even close match and they have no clue. If you ask most sellers will post it or tell you. And if they dont just bid on somthing else, I buy here also and thats the quickest way to get me to bid on somthing else  is not answer a question- even if its the "I dont know- or I just answer the mail" its an answer. Only real problem i have is when pics dont match descriptions- or why is shipping so high($15) on something the equivelent of a folded in half playing card

leo*spride
Community Member
Answered

This is actually a controversial (opinionated?) issue.  Some folks say keep the Reserve Price secret... other say reveal it if you want to sell your item.

Ultimately, the final decision is up to each individual seller.

However, if you're going to tell one potential bidder, be fair to yourself & tell ALL of them.  If it's still possible to revise the listing(s) in question, just add to your description... this is perhaps the easiest way.

Good luck!

Graciously Grin When You Growl
Community Member
Answered

My concern of revealing the reserve price, is someone could wait till the last minute & then bid at just the reserve.  This seems like it would eleminate the possability of a back & forth bid that goes above the reserve.  Reserve is the minimum, but I think all sellers would like to get more... kinda the point of a auction and not just putting it up for sale.

sportshorseartist
Community Member
Answered

Why bother having a reserve when you are telling everyone the bottom line of the price you will sell?

Community Member
Answered

Is it a state secret what your minimum amount to sell is?  IMO, there is no reason not to reveal it if asked, just as IMO, there is no reason to have to know what your reserve is in order to  bid. 

Is a reserve price really that much different than the max bid of another bidder?  You have to top that in order to win. 

The thing that makes a reserve different is that ifyour max bid doesn't meet the reserve, the seller obviously wants more than you were willing to pay and you are free to move on to another auction even before the auction is over.  The same cannot be said about a no reserve auction where you have been outbid.

Community Member
Answered

A. Yes because you shouldn't have wasted $2.00!  B. Yes because you should NEVER jerk buyers around by making them play the "Guess what my reserve price is" game,it just pisses them off AND/OR drives them away.  :-(

Y'all come back now y'hear?
cute.shoes
Community Member
Answered

If you want to SELL it - then TELL it.

Many buyers WILL NOT BID on a reserve listing when the seller does not STATE what the reserve price is.  They are not here to be subject to the seller's amusement.

You would have been BETTER OFF not using a reserve, and just put the STARTING price as the reserve amount you wanted.

__________ _________ _________ __________
See my "me" page to learn what smart sellers do.
Community Member
Answered

I am only a buyer (so far) -- in the process of learning to be a seller, reading about selling.

As a buyer I have wasted a lot of time and effort bidding for items with reserves that were never reached.

I have written sellers, asking what the reserve is.  Some have replied -- and then I will return and bid again.

If no reply I usually move on...  can't spend all my time chasing someone's fantasies that they won't reveal.

I wonder, though, if listing at/near the price you really want isn't a better approach?

matchtintrading
Community Member
Answered
Depends on what your goal is. If you're goal is to get rid of stuff around the house, or you have items you don't particularly want a set value on, then having a low start bid price, or setting a bid at a higher price, would be a good move. Also, if you have a highs dollar item, such as a car that you wish to sell for 2 K, you may start the bid at $1200. Generally bidders will bid in larger increments for items they perceive as being higher value. The intent of the reserve price is to protect the sellers interests and investments. Generally speaking, an open auction whether without a reserve and a low starting bid will always favor the buyer; I.e. You're always going to get a good deal. I have only used reserve prices on a few items myself. This being a reaction to what I saw as a trend of eBayers "watching" an item, then placing a bid in the last five minutes to last sixty seconds of the auction. What happens then is the seller receives a very low commission on the item being sold, and other bidders are also disadvantaged because they don't have time to enter competing bids. As a buyer and a seller, I hate that! It's also the reason I watch multiple items that are the same version of the same product; just in case this happens. Also, sure enough I will always receive at least one email as to what the reserve price is, or what I'll sell the item for right now if I close the auction. And I email a reply every time, stating I don't disclose reserves prior to auction end. It's not fair to other eBayers. Buyer or seller, everyone wants a good deal, but it's only fair and equitable for both parties if individual eBayers have a chance to compete just like in any other market place.