eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution
private listing - bidders' identities protected

Hi,

I would like to understand how private listings work since I was several times outbid in the very last 1/100 of a second of the auction. I read that only sellers can have private listings accounts. But I don't know whether they can bid on their own auctions on which I believe they have full transparency of the bidding. If that was the case, which I tend to suppose (otherwise how can you be outbid when the timer stands on 0 seconds reamining?). Could somebody help me on that "frustations generating" issue?

Many thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions: 2
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002
Sellers cannot bid on their own items. At least not with their own accounts. Many snipe bidders have obtained the elusive zero second bid. It's all a matter of timing. However, keep in mind that if your bid is HIGHER than that zero second bid, you will win. It's all about the amount of the bid, not the timing. If you're expecting to be able to bid again in reaction to someone else's bid, you're bound to be disappointed every time. Just bid what you want to pay. And try not to accuse others of fraud when you don't understand what's going on.
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002

This happens all the time. I've been outbid in the last 5 seconds many times (and yes, sometimes at the zero second). It drives me crazy, too.

Unfortunately, that's the nature of the auction beast. Just like a regular auction, it's not over until the gavel is dropped.

I don't know if it's possible to bid on your own auctions, but I doubt that it would be allowed.

Private listings protect the buyer's identity for a good reason...and your frustration is a perfect example.

It sounds like you want to contact the people who outbid you in the last moments because you are angry with them. That would not be a good idea & you may say something nasty in anger and jeopardize your ebay privileges. Not worth it, so I hope you will please try to let these things go.

Other Answers: 18
srosinb1
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002

There is something going on with "private listing - bidders' identities protected"... I am a constant eBay shopper ( as a designer) I buy everyday something else from bedroom set to teapot...I recently noticed that couple seller playing this nasty game.. While in many auctions, I am able to see other bidders identity, in some particular auctions, "private listing - bidders' identities protected" bids over and over.   There are 16 bids on one item and all of them is one person with private listing. I had been in auctions that i was able to see multilp bid with muliple different ID. It is very obvious that seller is bidding multiple time to increase the amount. Last week I bid on a chandelier and I stop at my limit while " private listing bidder's identities protected" bid more. Just 4 days  later the seller contacted me to offer 2. chance to buy the chandelier with price it was my highest bid. Now i am asking the person who was very offended by the question and attacked the person with accusations; is this selling situation normal for you? Sorry not for me...

Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002

I have seen the bids at "private listings" to go from a low bid of say $25. and then jump to a selling bid of $250.  It seems there is something not quite honest going on.  It seems that people do bid on their own items to make sure they do not sell too low.

mickeychasetan1
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002

It

pjm2002 wrote:

Hi,

I would like to understand how private listings work since I was several times outbid in the very last 1/100 of a second of the auction. I read that only sellers can have private listings accounts. But I don't know whether they can bid on their own auctions on which I believe they have full transparency of the bidding. If that was the case, which I tend to suppose (otherwise how can you be outbid when the timer stands on 0 seconds reamining?). Could somebody help me on that "frustations generating" issue?

Many thanks in advance

would be best to just avoid seller's that are allowing  "private listing - bidders' identities protected".

There is little reason to believe that it is nothing but a way to increase prices for the sellers.

I do not understand why Ebay allows this to take place, & yes I have read through their response to this topic.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002

Hi

The system "Private listings - bidder's identities protected" should not be allowed under any circumstances. There is no control at all about who is bidding, how and when. The assignation of an anonymous name such as p....6 is quite enough to protect privacy.

The existance of such private listing scheme can only be a way to hide bad practices or tricky lures. The aim: increasing the final winner bid. No matter whether the winner is the owner of the lot or anyone else. The higher is the winning bid, the higher the commission earned by eBay and PayPal. Thats the clue of the question.

Take care.

penago, from Spain

Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002

I just noticed tonight I was losing bids to these private listing bidders...these were bids for beads. Just beads, not high price items that someone may want to hide their identity in the purchase process.  I lost 6 (private listing bidders) out of 11 bids to 3 sellers.  My response to them will be that I will not consider purchasing or even bidding from them in the future.  If they are not happy with the bidding price they need to put a reserve on these items or start with a higher price for their beads...

pjm2002
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002

First of all, thank you very much for your answers, which indeed help me to understand what private listing means.Just for clarification: yes I was frustrated to be outbid at second 0 and wondered how this is possibe.My compuer seems not to be fast enough (or my timing is not accrurate enough) to achieve that, despite the fact that I live in a country where an average bandwith of 100 Mbit/s starts to be considered slow. My intention was however not to accuse somebody of fraud nor am I angry about last second bidders. Just wanted to understand. By the way, would be good that ebay writes a little bit more precisely about private listing so that there is no reason to raise any suspicion about it.

Best

Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002

Sellers cannot bid on their own items. At least not with their own accounts.

...and that's why the beads seller makes his bidding private! So that no one would be able to see that the same "buyer" is bidding on all of the seller's items to not draw any suspicions to his account!

Just got into this situation myself - very disappointing! Definitely not buying anything from this seller. Lesson learnt:I am not entering private beads auction, or whatever it is that doesn't make any sense to hide - there must be a reason for the seller to set it to private!

Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002

As an eBay seller of jewelry, I see no valid reason for private listings since it is very hard to impossible to contact a bidder when they are known, much less of course when private.  As far as last moment bidding is concerned, this is very easy to accomplish with eSnipe.com type bidding services.  I use them myself if I cannot be by the computer when an item I want is up for bid.  It is fast efficient, inexpensivie and does not tip your bidding hand by putting in an early bid.  The problem of sellers using a friend or relative or anyone willing to bump up a bid for them is much more difficult to solve or control.  It may not even be possible to control.  Many of us have probably run into this situation. I see it happen when I lose a bid, then see the seller put the same item back up for auction within a few hours after the auction closes.  Sometimes they change the bid to be a bit higher than my last bid.  I won't patronize these sellers and cross them off my list.  It is often hearteniing to see others shun these untrustworthy sellers as well, and bids end up lower the second time around.  The only choice a bidder has is to bid only the amount they are willing to pay, don't count on winning anything at the lowest possible bid, and do not bid on sellers items if you think there is a good chance they are bumping their bids.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002

True, I always shy away from private listing as there is always something the seller is trying to hide or his friend is bidding on it again and again or he himself has ID more than one and does not want to show the buyers. If something is not clean and clear, do not bid on it Ebay says that. My understanding is that private listing is a SCAM always and ebay should eliminate it.

Snipers do have a number on mind and at the last second they put it in and if your number is bigger you will win the item and that is appropriate to do. But this can be the seller or his associate trying to increase the price and you will not know when the same ID is used again and again.

I stay away from pivate listings and so can recommend. Rookies get conned into it.

etctooti
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002

I also have some doubts about the fairness of private listing-bidder identity protection.  Seems too easy to have a friend up price using this permitted action.  Having 2nd thoughts on bidding in the future on ebay.  Such a pity!

Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002
I just recently bumped into this Issue, hence finding this thread. After investigating a bit, it is now obvious that buyers can't set themselves to private. The reason is actually that the seller has set their profile as private listing. That automatically turns buyers into private as well on those particular listing. Only the seller will be anle to see who you are as a bidder. I believe it's worrying. Who gets the most protection? It is certainly easy to cheat prices up without revealing identities.
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002

i know of a seller. that he used his live in gril frend put in some bids at time to up the bidding.  he used the private listing. that do you do about that ebay!

Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002

it's not buyer who makes his/her ID private, it's a seller who makes his item listing private http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/private.html#when, so that seller has a reason to do that, i just avoid them and choose the ones who let me see other bidders :smileyhappy:

marydare
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002

I can understand how you might think something underhanded is going on, but I assure you it's not.  Sellers are not bidding up their own items - that's impossible thanks to vigilant eBay safeguards.  Moreover, it wouldn't make sense; sellers hardly benefit from making an outrageous last second bid, since that means they'd win their own item and have to pay eBay a fee calculated on the final bid amount.

What's going on is this:  many serious bidders and collectors don't participate in the back-and-forth lower price bids early in an auction, and instead make a "best and final" maximum offer in the last few seconds (sometimes called a "snipe").   

In effect, there are two different types of auctions happening:  one where the bidders base their offers on competitive bids (or apparent lack thereof), and one where bidders snipe at the maximum price they're willing to pay and "let the best wo/man win."  While both strategies are legitimate, the latter is naturally super frustrating for those expecting a back-and-forth auction.  

Whichever way you like to bid, the best way to avoid regrets is to be sure you place your true maximum bid (i.e. the price that, if you lose, you'd say "well, that's a little rich for my blood anyway", with no "if only I'd bid another dollar" regrets) before the auction ends.  You can't bid against yourself, so that price will remain hypothetical until other bids come in.  The best part is, eBay will automatically bid up to that price on your behalf, so you'll not only counter any snipes but also have an advantage over them since in the case of two equal bids, the earlier one will win.  

Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002

Ebay makes more money the higher the item sells for the more money in ebay's pocket, after many of us cuaght shill bidders by looking at the bidders info ebay then created a protect the bidders id for seller so they could shrill bid without worry of being cought by us buyers, Ebay has done quit a bit of supporting crooked sellers, I cought a star sapphire seller shrill bidding and ebay did nothing about it,  I was also the a victom of a seller who sold a laptop as refirbished, it went dead 3 months after I purchased it, took it in and found out it was a 5 year old model never refirbished, I contacted ebay and told them what this guy was doing and just shrugged me off, he is still selling them as refirbished, Ebay is run by crooks have no doubt about that.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002

Private bidder  "Who was that masked man anyway"?

pjm2002
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002

Sorry forget to end one sentences: here the complete one:

"If that was the case, which I tend to suppose (otherwise how can you be outbid when the timer stands on 0 seconds reamining?) wouldn' it contradict a fair, unbiased bidding procedure?

Community Member
Answered
in reply to pjm2002

Hola he tratado de comprar pañales para mi bb y me di cuenta de esto, primero lo pense pero luego investigando, como puede ser? que no se pueda ver la persona que publica su puja y arranca de 1 dolar a 45 dolares de la nada?. no es raro? me compro y me pago a mi mismo y se lo vendo al salame que paga mas porque el precio lo pongo yo? asi es? La verdad me estan quitando las ganas de seguir comprando.