eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
What does Reserve not met mean?

i bid on something ....... and it said... reserve not met...what does that mean

Other Answers: 4
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tina29851
Rediculouse if you ask me. Why not just put it on as bidding starts at??? Imagine the people that just stop bidding because of the hassle. I personnaly don't play that game. Time consuming and very agravateing
woodland_gnome
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tina29851

It means that your bid (your full, maximum bid, even if the full amount is not shown) is lower than the "Reserve" set by the seller as the minimum sale price, and you cannot win that item with that bid.

It means that you can safely move on to another source for a similar item without fear of winning this one, unlike merely being outbid where a cancellation of the higher bid can make you the winner and obligated to pay at the end.  If your bid did not meet the Reserve at the time it was placed, nothing anyone else can do can make you obligated to buy that item (even if the seller lowers the reserve, eBay will lower your maximum bid if necessary to keep you from winning; you would have to rebid to have a chance to win this auction).

jame234
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tina29851

The seller has placed a minimum amount that the seller will accept for the item.  The winner will be the highest bidder above that amount.

buybuy42
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tina29851

That means bid higher - or - ask the seller what the Reserve is