eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
How to post a complaint about the customer service at Ebay

I was completely devastated today when I was outbid by someone because of the Maximum Bid not being taken into consideration.  I had the Maximum Bid of 375.00 for about 45 minutes then in the last 4 seconds of the auction another person was able to buy the item for less than what I had committed to bid.  Is this legal?  Is this considered to be fair and prudent in the world of auctions and bidding?  How can someone pay less for an item that I had already committed more than he paid to buy?  What is the purpose of a maximum bid if the other bidders can say they will pay more for something that you will but they get to purchase it for less than what you agreed to pay for the item?  I am seeking a legal opinion on this practice and would like to know of any similar law suits that have been undertaken regarding the practice of the Maximum Bid.  Thank you

Other Answers: 9
silverstrad
Community Member
Answered
in reply to callaway1954lynn

What you are describing is not possible.

The highest bidder always wins the auction, no matter when the bid is placed.

Please give us the item number so that someone can explain to you exactly what happened in the bidding.

Community Member
Answered

You must not have completed what you thought was your bid.  If you had a maximum bid properly placed, no one could buy for less than that.

woodland_gnome
Community Member
Answered

What is the ITEM NUMBER?  I cannot find any such auction in a completed listings search.

woodland_gnome
Community Member
Answered

Just to be on the safe side I decided to up my Maximum Bid from 325.00 to 375.00 and when I contacted Customer Service they saw that I had done that.

They must be able to see a failed bid that we cannot see.  All of the bids higher than your $325 one Mar-27-13    03:32:51 PDT (assume it's yours, it is a private listing so we can't see diddly about the bidders to link it to you other than the amount and it was placed early this morning) were placed in the last 6 seconds.  There were no cancellations, no reserve to be modified, no other explanation other than the bid was simply not accepted.

Community Member
Answered

I don't know the item number or where to find it so I copied this.

Item condition:--

“A Good Signed Book in Used Condition.”

Ended:Mar 27, 2013 13:27:03 PDTWinning bid:US $361.00Shipping:$4.00 Economy ShippingItem location:Cu...allstarbooks2010 (1132 ) | Seller's other items

kraloe
Community Member
Answered

Your scenario is not possible. Did you use one-click bidding? Then you didn't actually bid your max bid.

Community Member
Answered

The auction was for a signed copy of To Kill A Mockingbird.  It ended at 1337. I placed a Maximum bid of 325.00 this morning.  This afternoon when there was about 45 minutes left the bid was at 305.00 and I was still the highest bidder.  Just to be on the safe side I decided to up my Maximum Bid from 325.00 to 375.00 and when I contacted Customer Service they saw that I had done that.  I typed in 375.00 into the box that asked if I wanted to increase my maximum bid.  I clicked on Increase Bid and it accepted it.  I watched the auction until after the 5 disappeared on  the seconds left and suddenly the screen changed and said the auction was over and I had lost.  It said the winning bid was 361.00.  I could not believe my eyes.  I could have understood if the person had to pay 376.00 for the book but for that person to be able to buy the book in the last 4 seconds for less than what I had committed to pay for it seems just plain wrong.  I don't think that the Maximum Bid option means anything and in fact gives bidders a false sense of security in their ability to purchase an item.  I have an excellent history here both as a buyer and a seller but I will complete all of my purchases and my auctions and I am done.  I have met some wonderful people through the auctions and while on occasion I have had an auction where someone didn't pay or something I have never caused a problem for anyone because sometimes things just happen.  If I told you what the man at customer service said to me you probably wouldn't believe me.  I have never run across anything like this ever before.  I cannot believe that something like this can take place.  I have been a bidder on penny auctions for years and for all the bad press they get I have never had anything even close to this happen before.  I do appreciate everything that everyone has said in response to this post.  It is very kind of you to take the time to respond.  I believe that it is a legal issue regarding fair and legitimate practices.  Thank you again for taking your time to read and for the responses.

Community Member
Answered

Other than the new maximum bid failing to go through, all I can think of is that the seller might have blocked you as bidder.  Did you ask a lot of questions or anything that might have caused him to put you on his blocked bidder list? 

Ebay does have glitches sometimes, but I've never heard of a maximum bid not being honored by the system. 

If there is more information, please start a new string with a similar title so we can find you.

woodland_gnome
Community Member
Answered

There are many reasons why one might think that s/he had a maximum bid higher than the final price.  Customer Service would have needed more information and we need more information, to narrow down the possibilities:

Item #?

When did you bid and how much do you think you bid for?  (If you tried to bid more than once, give information for each bid).