eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

1940s Rubber Face Sheriff Bear

I picked up a bear at an estate sale and I am wondering if anyone might know who the maker is, etc.

The bear has a rubber face and side-glancing eyes. He is wearing dark blue pants that are stitched to his body. The pants are trimmed with yellow fringe along each leg as if the bear were wearing chaps. He also is wearing a leather belt and holster. The leather belt is light brown with a silver "badge" in the center, a red jewell on each side, and three silver studs on each side of the jewells. The hoster still has the original gun--a pyro plastic sheriff gun manufactured between 1945 - 1947. The bear is also wearing a red bandana around his neck, which appears to be original. He is simiar to Smokey the Bear in appearance, but they are not the same bear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please use plain text.
d324redrocket
Community Member

in reply to matildas_dollhouse
Your teddy is most likely American made. If you will post a picture I will look through my reference books.
Red
Please use plain text.
Community Member

New Page 1

This is a picture of the bear:

Please use plain text.
d324redrocket
Community Member

Can other folks see Mitilda's sheriff bear? For some reason the photo does not show up on my pc. I will post some photos of bears with side glance plastic faces in a bit.
Red
Please use plain text.
d324redrocket
Community Member

I still can't see your post matilda! Darn! Here are some photos of bears with plastic faces that I found in some of my books. Any of them look similar to your bear? None of them are dressed like a sheriff, but perhaps one will have similar face and body style.
Red
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I was able to see the pic from my daughter's house, but not from home--I'm not sure if there is another way to post the picture. Is is possible to email the picture to you--my bear doesn't look anything like the ones you posted--I really appreciate your uploading them for me, however.
Please use plain text.
d324redrocket
Community Member

Yes, I am pretty sure you can contact me through the 'my ebay' system. If not, contact me through one of the auctions I will be posting later today or early tomorrow. I can send my email address to you through one of those auctions. I was going to mention Gund made a plush rabbit and teddy bear back in the 40's that were dressed up like cowboys with sewn on chaps, shirts, vests, etc. These gund plush cowboys did not have plastic faces though. Perhaps your bear is one of those Rushton creations. Have you tried searching eBay using the manufacutre name Rushton?
Red
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I did try to find the bear in the Rushton and the Gund listings. This bear is just unique. It seems like a bear created for an old 1940s cartoon or something similar. I will try to contact you through your auctions--thanks again.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I had a bear back in the late 1950s or early 1960s that had a rubber face and paws and was black and white. I now the tag said GUND because I named him GUNDY but have never seen another like him. He was stuffed with foam rubber I think. So I keep looking thru these threads and searching for a pic of him. Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have this same bear. Did you find out what he was. I have him listed now. I thought he was Smokey from the 50's. The appraiser at this estate sale said he was Smokey. Thanks, Cassie
Please use plain text.
Community Member

It is the same bear that you have--but I was told that it wasn't a Smokey Bear. My bear has a leather holster with a gun that was made by Pyro Plastics in 1947. It says sherrif on holster and it is original to the bear. He also has a red scarf around his neck and yellow fringe along his pantlegs, like a Union soldier. He also has an old straw cowboy hat, but the hat could be newer.
Please use plain text.
d324redrocket
Community Member

2000 k, Matilda is right. I happened to run across information when reading through a book I recently added to my teddy reference library. Here is a photo of what Gund's Smokey Bear looked like. This one was the second one released. The first one had a rubber/plastic head with no fur at all. Yours is close, but apparently not a Smokey as Matilda said.
Red
Please use plain text.
d324redrocket
Community Member

I meant to say, the first Gund Smokey the Bear released had furless plastic/rubber head, hands and feet. The torso and limbs did have a brown plush fur.
Red
Please use plain text.