eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
What happens if buyer does not respond to cancel a transaction
Hi all So I opened a dispute with a buyer to cancel a transaction because he will not respond pay and has only been a member for 15 days with 0 feedback. He will not respond to it. My question is if after 7 days he still does not cancel or answer to the transaction can I automatically cancel it or do i then have to file and unpaid item dispute. Thanks.
Other Answers: 5
cute.shoes
Community Member
Answered
in reply to lrusso2327

There are A LOT of deadbeat bidders on eBay.

Please DO file UPI reports after 4-5 days AND close them out 4-5 days later.  When you close it out:
a) you get your eBay FVFs back and
b) buyer can't leave you negative feedback.

Sellers filing the UPI help themselves and other sellers.
eBay provides a method for SELLERS to automatically BLOCK those non-paying deadbeat bidders from your auctions.

Go to My eBay, the ACCOUNT tab.
Click on the SITE PREFERENCES link.
On the right side of page, near the top, is a "show all" link.
Click that, then scroll down to:

Buyer requirements     Block buyers who:
THEN you have to look on the far right for the "Edit" link,
click that and choose any/all of these:

Don't have a PayPal account   (99% of the scammers don't)
Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 12 Month(s)
Have a primary shipping address in a location I don't ship to
Have 4 Policy Violation report(s) within 6 Month(s)
Have a feedback score of -1 or lower

You would be amazed at the number of people who come to the Answer Center saying "How come I can't bid on any auctions?  I don't know what it means by unpaid items."
And the UPIs stay on their record for a year.  So they have a nice long "time out" to think about what they've done wrong :-)
like:

house*of*paws
Community Member
Answered
in reply to lrusso2327

Hi lrusso2327,

You cannot file a nonpayment dispute after filing a cancellation request. 

Just hope that the buyer continues to ignore the cancellation so that you can close it in 7 days and get your fees refunded.

Buyer will still be able to leave you feedback, BTW.  They would not be able to leave feedback if you had filed a nonpayment dispute and closed it with a strike ... one of the reasons why this dispute would have been preferable.

Good luck!

Paws

inceptions
Community Member
Answered
in reply to lrusso2327

Your buyer could deny the request and then you would not get your fees back and he will suffer no consequences.

You did not do yourself or your fellow sellers any favors by letting a now payer off the hook with a transaction cancellation. You should have opened an unpaid item case.

mrsmtn
Community Member
Answered
in reply to lrusso2327

You should have filed the Unpaid Item dispute in the first place.

Just hope the buyer does not respond with a refusal -- if he does you're out of luck.  If he does not respond at all you can close it yourself after 7 days, but there will be no penalty for the buyer, which is too bad.

faith_and_trust
Community Member
Answered
in reply to lrusso2327

In my case - the Buyer contacted me stating that her child was playing with the cell phone and accidentally bought the item. She had no intentions of buying it and wanted to cancel. In evaluating the situation:

1.) She had a (0) rating - no sales/no purchases.

2.) My item was a full size organ and large speakers listed as Local Pick-up Only (me in Ohio and she in Las Vegas)

I could not force her to buy the item because of what the item was. I wanted to get things over with quickly, so I cancelled the item (with the intentions that she was going to respond to the cancellation). She never did. She appeared to have no clue what she was doing. I couldn't open open an unpaid item case because Ebay said it was too soon. Now.....here I wait until the waiting period (7 days?) is over to get my fees refunded. UGH!