eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member
I am losing money selling; with the charges I pay in listing, final value fees and the shipping, what am I doing wrong?

I have been with eBay since the beginning but, haven't sold in a long - long time.  I am now finding that when selling on eBay if I don't price my items absurdly low they do not sell.  Moreover, after listing several items that did sell and after paying the shipping and eBay fees, I lost money.  How can I list my items and not lose money?  The time it takes to research, list, add the pic's, and keep up with the listing is frustrating when you are not making any money.  What am I doing wrong?  How do I list an item at a reasonable price, pay shipping for my customers,  eBay fees, and still make a profit without giving the item away for free or, in my case... paying to give it away?  Is there someone who can give me some advice?  Thank you.  To all the excellent Sellers! !  You inspire me not to give up and to be a better Seller.  Your advice is much appreciated!   

Other Answers: 6
Community Member
Answered
in reply to hockey782509

I actually think it is disgusting that Ebay lets their users take a loss.  I just realized that I've been burned because of the shipping prices.  Will definitly not sell any more low priced items.  Just not worth it. 

bostongrammy
Community Member
Answered
in reply to hockey782509

Some things just can't be sold at a profit on eBay, including items were there is excess supply and those for which the shipping cost is out of proportion to the item value. Always start with a search on Completed listings to see if there is any demand for your item, before you invest any time in the listing itself (photos, writeup, etc.). Don't be afraid to decide that an item would be better-off at your yard sale or given to charity (get a receipt for your taxes).

I hope you don't mind if I make a few suggestions about your item titles. Use as much of those previous 80 title spaces as you can. Try to think like a  buyer: What words would they search on?   For gift cards, include the value.  For clothing and accessories, include size, color, etc.  Seriously, one of your titles says "IN THE COLOR YOU WANT!!" and the bidder has to open the listing and read the description to see that it is black & cream. 

Community Member
Answered
in reply to hockey782509

Then you need to increase the price you are selling your items at.  If they won't sell for what it takes to make a profit for you, then maybe Ebay isn't the place to try to sell them.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to hockey782509

The Hay Day of ebay is over, I have lost 2000 dollars on ebay this year from customers stealing, and leaving negative feedbacks to trade for postives. Ebay has really turned into just the bottom feeders and of course there is never anyone to talk to with the company. I talked to a customer service agent and told her a customer had used their system to steal a 300 dollar item. She said there was nothing she could do about it. I asked her if I should leave the customer a postive feedback and she said why would you do that. I told her because there is no other feedback I can leave.  Start looking at Amazon these problems don't exist there

ritacummins
Community Member
Answered
in reply to hockey782509

How not to lose money on Ebay:

1.  Sell only items that you already have in your possession and have no further use for.  You have already spent your money on those, so anything you get by selling on Ebay will be a plus.

2. If you buy items to re-sell on Ebay, stick to your area of expertise.  Then you will know in advance if the price you are paying is low enough that you can mark it up two or three times to re-sell.

Remember, a two or three times markup is reasonable.  Department stores mark their items up at least 5x

oldmark47
Community Member
Answered
in reply to hockey782509

This is why I stopped selling. I used to sell used books of all types, but I found myself in the same situation...I could not sell any book at even a small profit, and even though I like selling, I won't do it at a loss. The only "help" I got from eBay was the suggestion I charge less fo shipping or offer it free...ans since I was already losing money on each sale, I decided this was not a great idea...

I think even when I did make a profit that if I calculated my time for taking and postinc pics, and writing descriptions, etc, I was losing even more than I had thought.

I assume it depends on what you sell, and I am pretty much writing off the thousand or so books I have in my home and planning on selling collectibles and see what happens with that.

I will do some research and see what is selling first, though.

mark