eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

How long should you give a buyer to pay?

This buyer placed a final hour bid, asking price, about 55 hours ago.  How long should I give them to pay?  I sent them a followup invoice, but have heard nothing back from them.  Thanks!

Please use plain text.
winenegociant
Community Member

Re: How long should you give a buyer to pay?

in reply to kwkanne
Ebay's own unpaid item assistant files after 48 hours by default.
Please use plain text.
bed*envy
Community Member

in reply to kwkanne

That's up to you.  I think 2 days is more than enough, some might say 4 days.  Once you open a case for non-payment it still gives them an additional 4 days to pay before you can close the case.

Please use plain text.
bed*envy
Community Member

in reply to winenegociant

48 hours if you have it set up to do so.  I don't believe it is automatic or set to 48 hours by default.

Please use plain text.
daveroo
Community Member

in reply to kwkanne

Two days appears to be the eBay minimum.

I personally give them 4 days sort of to take into account weekends and holidays.

Describe it as if there are no pictures.
Take pictures as if there is no description.
Please use plain text.
mudshark61369
Community Member

in reply to kwkanne

kwkanne wrote:

This buyer placed a final hour bid, asking price, about 55 hours ago.  How long should I give them to pay?  I sent them a followup invoice, but have heard nothing back from them.  Thanks!

kw...,

This time of year I tend to give buyers a little leeway.  I wouldn't file the dispute until Saturday.  If you file earlier and they pay on Friday, they could leave a negative, because they felt rushed. It has happened.  If you do not have a payment time frame written in your listings, how can you impose one, after?  

I know the arguments some will give me saying,  If you can't pay don't buy,  buyers should pay right away, etc..  Remember though, before 2011, when the non payers started really becoming a problem, most sellers were willing to wait a week.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS! (unknown)
Please use plain text.
daveroo
Community Member

in reply to mudshark61369

mudshark61369 wrote:

Remember though, before 2011, when the non payers started really becoming a problem, most sellers were willing to wait a week.

Yep, I used to wait a week.

But that was back in the days when MO's and personal checks were used quite often.

You needed 7 days to deal with the snail mail, especially if weekends were involved.

Describe it as if there are no pictures.
Take pictures as if there is no description.
Please use plain text.
bottletrader
Community Member

in reply to daveroo
on the rare occasion I run auctions - I give 4 days also - some people have a proxy bid in place and may not be near their computers over a weekend - or if traveling for work.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kwkanne

Thank you all for the advice.  After my posting this question, the buyer later emailed asking to cancel the purchase, since it wasn't what he thought it was.  I then figured out how to initiate a "case" to cancel the purchase.  Thanks again!  Karl

Please use plain text.
prettywoman-2012
Community Member

in reply to kwkanne

kwkanne wrote:

I give 3 days for payment, on Day 4 the NPB case opens automatically.

Please use plain text.
lily_not_gilded
Community Member

in reply to mudshark61369

mudshark61369 wrote:

kwkanne wrote:

kw...,

This time of year I tend to give buyers a little leeway.

This is the time of year Im least likely to give leeway, the sooner I can get my $ the sooner I can ship, with holiday mail starting to flow, the more time it has to get there, the better. Not to mention, if they dont pay, I need to be able to get the item back up asap in the hopes of re-selling before the end of the holiday crush

Soul? I found one of those in the trash once, I sold it on ebay.

Please use plain text.
rednails243
Community Member

in reply to kwkanne

you seem pretty nice KW

alot of sellers would not do that...

and just file a UID--

personally I agree with "alot of sellers"

a better place
Please use plain text.