eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
ap104
Community Member
Can you still set a reserve price on auctions

Has the reserve price option been discontinued on auctions?  I can't find it.

Other Answers: 8
angelgirl327
Community Member
Answered
in reply to ap104

I don't think ebay is pushing anything - it makes sense to me.  I used to be against reserves completely until someone in the AC pointed out that it was helpful for more expensive items.  That made sense to me.  So now I still don't like reserves for the most part and agree to just start the price at what you want for it - but can see some value for some circumstances.  Ebay can supposedly "push" for a reserve all they want but it really is up to each individual - we can choose to do it or not.

angelgirl327
Community Member
Answered
in reply to ap104

here's how ebay explains it - and the link shows you how to do it -

Why have a reserve price?

Many sellers have found having a low starting price encourages people to bid, but they want to protect themselves from selling an item for too little. This is when a reserve price is useful.

For example, say you want to sell an item for at least $100, but you're worried that a starting bid price of $100 will discourage potential bidders from bidding. If you use a reserve price, you can list the item for sale with a starting price of $.99, $5, $10, or any amount below the amount of your reserve price. You can then enter a reserve amount of $100. Bidding will start at the lower price, but you won't be obliged to sell the item unless the bidding reaches at least $100—your reserve price.

Selling with a reserve price

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/reserve.html

pinkflamingo2855
Community Member
Answered
in reply to ap104

right above the price area there's a "more options"---click that and the different options will appear, click the box by the reserve and save, then the reserve box will show up for you to enter a reserve, OR just start the price at the least you are willing to accept and save the reserve fee.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go"
Oscar Wilde
craneclimber1
Community Member
Answered
in reply to ap104

angelgirl -

forgive me for sounding cynical, but it seems obvious why ebay would 'push' a scenario that promotes paying an un-needed feeture(sic).

craneclimber1
Community Member
Answered
in reply to ap104

it wouldn't be a great loss to anyone (except ebay) if it were discontinued.

why pay the $2.00 fee for using this feature when you can simply set the starting bid at your reserve amount?

Community Member
Answered
in reply to ap104

It is still there though fewer and fewer are using it, having discovered it discourages bidders.

Setting your opening bid price at what you would post as a reserve is the simpler, far more effective way to do, that way people who are interested in your item know you are not playing games with them, you are serious about selling the item. If they are not willing to pay at least that amount for it why would you want their bids anyway?

Site Map at bottom of every eBay page can be your best eBay friend!
kraloe
Community Member
Answered
in reply to ap104

No, it hasn't been discontinued.

angelgirl327
Community Member
Answered
in reply to ap104

The only time it makes sense to use a reserve is if the amount you want for you item is say $100 or more.  then you might want to list it at a much lower price with a reserve in order to gain interest in it.  sometimes if buyers see an expensive item they just pass right over it.  With a reserve the item itself might catch their eye before the price.  But if your item isn't expensive, then do as said and just list it for the lowest price you want and save the $2 reserve fee.  This is just my opinion - the choice is yours.