eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
BUYER DENIED TRANSACTION CANCELLATION REQUEST. NO LONGER WANTED ITEM ANYWAY?

Not sure what topic to file this under: but anyway. I put an iphone up for auction. Buyer bids and auction closed. I look and notice he has ZERO FEEDBACK. I understand some people are new to eBay and so you should give them a chance. This buyer had been a member since 2000 and has no feedback at all. I'm not a big time seller on ebay and the Iphone was the most expensive thing I have ever sold, so I was taking all precautions.

I contacted him and he said he indeed has bought plenty on eBay, no one just bothered to leave feedback. I have bought on eBay also and 1 out of 3 times, I get feedback. All in all, I made a choice on my gut instinct and sent him a message saying that I have refunded his money via paypal (which I did and have verification of) and proceeded to send a transaction cancellation request. Buyer denied. Came back and told me the refund was not in his bank account. Well paypal takes a couple days, but even I was notified in my email of the refund and was under the impression he would be also. 

On the transaction cancellation, it states do not accept if you have not been refunded. If this guy has bought on eBay like he states he's done plenty of times, he would've figured out to wait the 2-3 days while payal clears the refund. It clearly stated in the email I received from paypal that a refund was being processed. This guy did not bother to wait for paypal to clear the funds out of my account. He denied and now has come to tell me he has found another phone he wanted (on amazon, not even on eBay), bought it and no longer wants the item???!

I have read before you should give zero or little feedback buyers a chance, but after being scammed out of my second biggest sell (a watch), I wanted to take no chances. If this was a $20 item, I would've sold it. Even if the guy had 3 or 4 stars, I still would've probably sold to him. But zero feedback of a member who's been on eBay since 2000, bidding on the most expensive item I've ever sold is a little bit of a red flag for me. Especially after my other ordeal with a crappy, skeeze-ball buyer! 

Question is: What do I do? Is there anyway to get final value credit? 

Other Answers: 4
trinitybball23
Community Member
Answered
in reply to vbar3437

Please excuse my above post, was meant for another post.  Need coffee!  :smileyhappy:

Anyway, if you sell, you have to follow through or face the consequences.  And while I can see your reluctance, Ebay still expects you to follow through.  You have to follow procedures & policies to a T to have the least problems.  If you ship only to the address in Paypal, use insurance, tracking & signature confirmation when needed (anything over $250), you should be ok.  If a dispute is opened, you have to respond to it using messages, POD, your side of the story, anything that will help you to win.  If the buyer wants to return for a refund, it's best to accept that before it gets to a dispute.

Make sure that you set up your Buyer Requirements to block buyers/bidders who don't have a Paypal account, who live in locations you don't ship to & who have 2 or more unpaid item strikes.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/buyer-requirements.html 

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that even on unauthorized charges, Paypal will protect the seller, if you followed all the procedures.  You may have been able to appeal to Paypal so that you wouldn't be out any money.  Maybe one of the other posters knows more about those types of circumstances.  But I thought that Paypal will reimburse you if you followed the guidelines.

=^^= Save a stray today.
Community Member
Answered
in reply to vbar3437

Your 'gut instinct' was wrong-you had a paying buyer and you were obligated to ship the item-not refund and send a cancellation.

So no you don't get your FVF's back and you should consider yourself lucky if you don't receive negative feedback as well.   :smileyindifferent:

Community Member
Answered
in reply to vbar3437
Community Member
Answered
in reply to vbar3437

Last time I dealt and trusted a 'on time paying customer', even when they had little feedback (only two stars and now I'm thinking they were fake feedback; account is now suspended), I had my money scammed. They initiated a paypal "unauthorized charge' dispute, they won (big shock! paypal sides with the buyer?! who knew!!) and I was scammed out of a watch and the money from the 'paying customer'. That was the most expensive auction I had done at the time and I was beyond irritated.

I do not feel sorry for canceling the transaction. One moron ruined trusting a customer who paid on time with no feedback score.

Paying on time or not, zero feedback on an account that has been 'active and buying' (from what I was told by him) that was opened in 2000, mind you that is THIRTEEN YEARS AGO, is shady. Like I said, had he had any, EVEN THREE, stars and pieces of feedback. I would've sold it to him. Zero feedback in thirteen years is just impressive and shady. 

Plain and simple.