eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
pt4p15451o
Community Member

A seller can back out of an auction, thats o.k. but a buyer is suspended for non payment?????

I bought an item, the seller didnt get what he wanted, he voided the auction. Ebay says thats the way it goes, you can leave negative feedback.  But if I bought and didnt pay, my account is suspended.  Ebay is powered by the buyer, not the seller.  An auction is an auction ( no res/buy it) angry that buyers have no say!!!!

Please use plain text.
funboy1227
Community Member

Re: A seller can back out of an auction, thats o.k. but a buyer is suspended for non payment?????

in reply to pt4p15451o

"But if I bought and didnt pay, my account is suspended. "

Not on the first offense......

SO why haven't you left appropriate feedback?

I've been told that money cannot buy happiness.... But I would like the opportunity to test that theory.
Please use plain text.
pt4p15451o
Community Member

Re: A seller can back out of an auction, that's OK. But a buyer is suspended for non payment?????

in reply to funboy1227

Perhaps I should leave negative feedback but once again eBay was dismissive on the retaliation of just such an action, this was phone to phone conversation not a e-mail post subject.

Please use plain text.
funboy1227
Community Member

Re: A seller can back out of an auction, that's OK. But a buyer is suspended for non payment?????

in reply to pt4p15451o

pt4p15451o wrote:

Perhaps I should leave negative feedback but once again eBay was dismissive on the retaliation of just such an action, this was phone to phone conversation not a e-mail post subject.

Buyers can not receive negative feedback anymore.    That went away a couple of years ago. 

I've been told that money cannot buy happiness.... But I would like the opportunity to test that theory.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: A seller can back out of an auction, thats o.k. but a buyer is suspended for non payment?????

in reply to pt4p15451o

I am a seller on eBay and make my living selling automobiles.  Statistically, one in five of my auctions ends with a deadbeat bidder which costs me thousands of dollars per month in lost income.  ebay is powered by both buyers and sellers and it goes both ways.  When a bidder wins an auction and does not pay for their item, it costs me real money and my only option is to open an unpaid item case which is a complete joke.  as a seller, i cannot even leave a bad feedback for a buyer.  please don't misunderstand me, sellers should honor their auctions just as buyers should honor their bids.  I understand your frustration...but it costs you nothing.  

Feedback is very serious for a seller.  I would never recommend leaving a negative feedback unless a seller rips you off.  I would leave a neutral feedback simply stating what happened so that other buyer can consider your experience before buying.  It all comes down to people.  If we are all reasonable and responsible, things will go smoothly for everyone.  I don't know the whole story of your situation...but it sounds like you didn't lose any money.  It's frustrating...but not the end of the world.

Please use plain text.
pt4p15451o
Community Member

in reply to funboy1227

I have always enjoyed the mutual co-operation of all of my transactions with the sellers.Most are great , some have been marginal.  At any rate, I enjoy a high level of pos. feedback which is well deserved, ebay on the phone told me that as a buyer I could leave bad feedback but be prepared for retaliation, I don't want that but at the same time the buyer in question was a total liar with correspondence to corroborate that. So, being old school with this can the seller hit me?

Please use plain text.
pt4p15451o
Community Member

in reply to pt4p15451o
Sorry the seller in question.
Please use plain text.
pt4p15451o
Community Member

in reply to pt4p15451o

I will say this funboy1227 and joegeeting,  you are both right.  I only get mad at the deception of what should be an honorable mutual endeavor.  I will buy this for that.  I appreciate your words and thanks for the replies, I'll move on.................Dan.

Please use plain text.
funboy1227
Community Member

in reply to pt4p15451o

pt4p15451o wrote:

I have always enjoyed the mutual co-operation of all of my transactions with the sellers.Most are great , some have been marginal.  At any rate, I enjoy a high level of pos. feedback which is well deserved, ebay on the phone told me that as a buyer I could leave bad feedback but be prepared for retaliation, I don't want that but at the same time the buyer in question was a total liar with correspondence to corroborate that. So, being old school with this can the seller hit me?

NO. The Seller cannot retaliate by leaving negative feedback for you.

Additionally, if he leaves a negative comment on a Positive feedback, that can be removed, and he can be sanctioned for doing so. 

Has he threatened to do so?  

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pt4p15451o

Sorry to say ----

Your post is almost completely reversed about the current situation on eBay.

Sellers cannot (without agreement from the buyer) void a transaction.

It is not OK for a seller to back out of an auction.

Your seller appears to be a very part-time seller with a feedback score of only (40)

That angry feedback you left (depending on the DSR scores you entered) may have placed his selling account in jeopardy of being permanently suspended.  There are severe penalties imposed on low volume sellers who "back out" of their obligations.

On the other hand -- Buyers who fail to pay for their purchases may receive an unpaid item strike. (only if the seller files an "Unpaid Item Claim" and the buyer does not pay; at least 4 days after the claim is filed, the seller must close the claim and issue the strike. -- If a buyer accumulates 2 or more strikes within 12 months, they may find themselves blocked from bidding on a lot of auctions.

Non-paying bidders cannot even be given a Negative Feedback, let alone, any possibility of account suspension.  That old "Three strikes and your out" rule was taken away back in 2008.

Please use plain text.
jacobsghost
Community Member

in reply to pt4p15451o
WOW! You left a neg over a $1.29 item,,,

Guard Against The Imposturers Of Pretended Freedom
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to glassenstuff

All this anger and negative feedback over a $1.29 item with free shipping??  I wouldn't want to deal with you if you received an item you weren't happy with.

Please use plain text.
funboy1227
Community Member

in reply to kattinsanity

kattinsanity wrote:

All this anger and negative feedback over a $1.29 item with free shipping??  I wouldn't want to deal with you if you received an item you weren't happy with.

Yeah, when the whole picture is revealed, it certainly casts the entire situation in a different light.

Seller was wrong.  No doubt about it.

But I would not leave negative feedback over a low-priced item.

I also would not call Ebay over it.  I have to wonder how much Employee time is spent dealing with such low-value transactions.   I suspect that it is a lot of time, and a good reason for the current fee structure AND the level of customer service the rest of us receive.

Please use plain text.
sunfarmer
Community Member

in reply to pt4p15451o

You left a neg for that poor seller over such a small thing.   Good Grief feel better.  Poor seller will be shut down now.  Feel entitled or something.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to pt4p15451o

Actually, you could file suit for breach of contract, but that probably isn't realistically feasible in this instance.  While you're perfectly within your rights to leave negative feedback in this instance, doing so may have done considerable damage to your ability to purchase from other sellers on ebay.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Please use plain text.
kikirsz
Community Member

in reply to pt4p15451o

even I also think that it's not a good rule that sellers can back out of an auction due to they can't earn.

trade/selling is like investment/lotto, not everyone can really gain, even if gain, the gain amount would not be too much. if they so mind the gain, they should go try investment, on warrant, or high risk shares. high risk gives high return/rewards. but also, high risk = great loss.

trading too. not every seller can really gain, if you so mind if you lose, do not trade online. dont waste all people's times

Please use plain text.
kikirsz
Community Member

in reply to pt4p15451o

seller can not change or cancel or delete any auction just because "selling price or bidding price is not what they want"

they can not use TYPING A WRONG AMOUNT too, they can only observe until the end. when buyer buys, they even have to send, even when it's a loss

Please use plain text.
kikirsz
Community Member

in reply to pt4p15451o
Does a seller have to sell his item when the auction is over even when the final bid (winning bid) may not be a positive gain?

Yes. You have to sell your item to the high bidder at the end of the auction even when it's a loss
Please use plain text.
kikirsz
Community Member

in reply to pt4p15451o

Does a seller have to sell his item when the auction is over even when the final bid (winning bid) may not be a positive gain?

Yes. You have to sell your item to the high bidder at the end of the auction even when it's a loss

Please use plain text.
lily_not_gilded
Community Member

in reply to sunfarmer

I dont see a recent neg left by this buyer, did their feedback left for others get whitewashed?

Soul? I found one of those in the trash once, I sold it on ebay.

Please use plain text.