eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

edz904
Community Member

Age/Era of this Framed Antique Charcoal Drawing

Hi All,

I picked up this beautiful old framed charcoal drawing at an estate sale.  I just couldn't pass it up as it has a way of drawing

a person to it with the deep soft textures to it and the frame I found facinating.  The person who had passed was in their late 90's and it had been in their family for a very long time is all I was told by the grandson who was in his early 50's.

It measures a large 38" long x 21.1/2" wide (frame).  It appears to have a signature of an artist in the lower right but with the charcoal being so dark it is very very difficult to really make out and believe me I have tried.

I am hoping someone familiar with artwork might be able to tell me at least an approximate age to the drawing possibly by the

frame that it is in.  I'm told frame appearance and construction are great helps in putting an age to artwork though possibly that is

not so but I'm sure hoping so.  I know near to nothing about artwork.  I just enjoy them for the ability and creativity of the artist and the over all effect certain pieces have on a person when you first see them. It's quite something.

I sincerely thank anyone and everyone for any help in identifying an approximate age to this beautiful piece.  It depicts and old slat board house in a secluded wooded area along side a river at dusk.  It's very serene.  I will post additional photos via reply to assist with identification.  If the work looks familiar to any artist that would for sure be bonus information for me but I know that is most likely not going to be the case which is quite understandable.  Thanks so very much to everyone !!

antique charcoal drawing 001.JPG
Please use plain text.
edz904
Community Member

Re: Age/Era of this Framed Antique Charcoal Drawing

in reply to edz904

antique charcoal drawing 002.JPGantique charcoal drawing 002.JPG

antique charcoal drawing 009.JPG
Please use plain text.
edz904
Community Member

in reply to edz904

antique charcoal drawing 005.JPGantique charcoal drawing 004.JPGantique charcoal drawing 003.JPG

Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to edz904

I can't quite tell from pictures, but it looks like it might be dry pastel. Without a closeup of the signature, it would be quite difficult to identify this. Many drew in this style in the 1800s and early 1900s.

The framing looks like it has the potential to be nice, but there's something odd about the corner embellishments, almost as if the corners were intended to be guilded (but weren't)? Is the main part of the frame wood? Are are those corner embellishments a lighter color wood or are they plaster?

Please use plain text.
edz904
Community Member

in reply to gopetersen

Thank you for the information ! It could very well be dry pastel as I did at one point remove the art from the frame to better try to

read the signature but quickly put it back as it had a very fragile consistency similar to charcoal and did not want to disturb that in

any way.  The main part of the frame is wood just as you see on the photo of the back and on closer inspection after your mentioning the embellishments it appears the front facing of the frame is either plaster or a dense plastic it's difficult to tell as it's so tightly attached but it isn't wood.  Yes, the corner embellishments are a lighter color and I'm sure at one time way back in the day they were to have been guilded or with the appearance of guild as you can tell they were gold at one time.  I did love the frame and the heaviness of it which originally drew me to the artwork and I did love the art itself as it was just such a soft look of a serene place in time.  I hope

this helps.  Thank you again for your response.  Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.