• Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
brian4z
Community Member
Accepted Solution

antique ladder back chairs

I have a set of 4 of these antique ladderback chairs.  A friend told me they had some value, I better not let the kids use them...so I was wondering if anyone recognized or new something about them, maker, date etc.  looks like original but may have replaced seat wood not sure, I also see that there are a couple layers of paint over the years, once it was white, once blue and once black, now it looks very nice the multi color of them together.  I like it the way it is, old and worn paint everywhere, but wood is all strong and joints etc. Thanks!

chair 002.JPG
Please use plain text.
pentiques
Community Member

Re: antique ladder back chairs

in reply to brian4z

My thought from the photo is not antique.  There is no wear on the rungs and there  would be from people putting their feet on the rungs.   The seats are not something you see in antique ladder backs.   In regard to age my guess would be 1950s-60s.

Ladder back chairs are a hard sell.  Certainly antique ladders back have some antique value but very little.  The fact that you have 4 and they all match is plus.  Single ladder back chairs in good condition probably would not bring more than $45. per piece and I believe that is very generous number probably more like $20 per piece.

You should wait and see what some of the other folks have to say. 

Please use plain text.
wilsonhepple
Community Member

in reply to brian4z

Your chair appears to be a copy of a New England chair.

Those finals are a common feature of chairs made in the Southeastern part of Massachusetts.

Please use plain text.
milestoneks
Community Member

in reply to brian4z

Can't add much to what's been said without some closeup photos. "may have replaced seat wood", appear to me that they were "Rush Seating" at one time.

“What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” ~~Albert Pike, Freemason
Please use plain text.
verybrad
Community Member

in reply to wilsonhepple

Agree....... not antique. The wood slat seat was a common cheaper option than rush from many of the makers of this type of chair. It is possible that they are replacements but my bet would be that they are original.

Be sure to look your gift horse in the mouth when receiving help.
Please use plain text.
brian4z
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to verybrad

Here is the reason I believe it is antique with replaced seat...The owner of the Arrangement in Dallas near the North Galleria Mall, She saw them and told me the age, value and even name of maker, she has many old chairs on display in her store, not for sale, she has been in the high end furniture business for many years, Anyone in the high end and custom furnishings knows of The Arrangement store in Dallas.  I know she knows her stuff.  She saw them in my brothers warehouse, my brother is Jason, so just thought I would find some antique people here to tell me maker, I just need to send her an email to find out the info. I forgot she told me about 7 years ago.  Back then I had them in storage in a warehouse, after that, the value she told me, I brought home to take care in my house.  I know the seats are replaced, but I tend to think they are original chairs, but thanks to my mom she had painted them several times over the years.  I simply placed some paint remover gel on  and lightly scraped a couple colors of paint off.  I see white over wood and blue over white and then black over blue, so now I kind of like the look, years of paint and much removed, so I will keep and enjoy  and hand down to my kids one day Thanks all for the help. 

Please use plain text.