cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

antique gooseneck rocking chair

Hello,  I have a gooseneck rocking chair which I am going to have reupholstered, Does anyone have any idea of  a date on this chair?  It also has a carving of a flower and leaves on top edge. I was told it was a victorian and made in the 1890's, any help appreciated.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Seems about right or just slightly earlier. The basic form is often referred to as a Lincoln rocker and popular for a lot of years. Can't tell if it is really walnut or just stained to look like walnut.  

Be sure to look your gift horse in the mouth when receiving help.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

WHAT is that cat doing??

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Oh-h-h- I don' wanna know!

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Scratching its right ear with its right rear foot. Nothing shocking.

Thank you, OP, for reupholstering this.  Its current fabric is from the 1950s and is SO WRONG.

I am responsible for what I say. I am not responsible for what you hear.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

So the rocker is from the 1890's?  Where could I get an idea what fabric was used as original for that time?

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

There are lots of earthtone, cut velvets available now that would do nicely. Just stay away from the light-colored brocades.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Hi,

Great chair. I vote for dark green or maroon velvet. One thing I have always heard these called swan neck instead of goose. It just seems more refined.Man Happy

greg

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

If you can get *mohair* velvet, go for it. The look is totally different from other upholstery velvets and it wears like iron.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Hi the gooseneck chair is very old.  They started making this type of chair in the 1800's. Here's a link I stumbled apon because I have a gooseneck recliner. And I was doing some resource and found this website. I first seen a gooseneck chair about 20 years ago. We bought a cottage and the people we bought the place from had one in the cottag. Anyway I bought the chair I got from a used place for $ 35.00 THIS IS THE WEBSITE I HOPE YOU ENJOY READING THE INFO I KNOW I DID.  www.justcollecting.com.  Gooseneck Rocking Chairs. This is a picture of mine

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I've seen 6-7 identical rockers. All were Mahogany and made in early 50s.
They are similar to and copies of older models from earlier years. I've seen
wide range on prices based on condition. I've had my parent's chair for at least
62 years. They bought it in Norfolk, Va.
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@owedoc-3ftfty6nwrote:
I've seen 6-7 identical rockers. All were Mahogany and made in early 50s.
They are similar to and copies of older models from earlier years. I've seen
wide range on prices based on condition. I've had my parent's chair for at least
62 years. They bought it in Norfolk, Va.

yeah, these were made in the mid-20th century in large numbers as well as the late 19th century, could find tons of them in thrift shops a while back.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Did you notice?  This thread is more than four years ago.  Where do these zombies come from?    Smiley Surprised

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Would u sell I have one and would like another. Want them to put in front of my fire place

Message 14 of 14
latest reply