• Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Geico
verybrad
Community Member

Re: Redskin Brand Cut Plug Chewing Tobacco Spitoon

in reply to messilane

These started showing up in the 70s to my best recollection. There were a lot of fantasy items made in the 70s and 80s. While not made necessarily to deceive, unscrupulous and unknowing dealers have perpetrated fraud with these items for years. Many dealers and auction companies have regularly sold such items as antiques. With some, the quantity sold over time makes me sceptical that they don't know what they are doing. Such dealers can be found here on ebay pretty easily.  One company that I don't want to name here for obvious reasons is responsible for huge quantities of unmarked or fantasy marked reproductions sold and resold for years. Any honest dealer who deals in antiques and collectibles would be wise to acquaint themselves with such company catalogs. 

Be sure to look your gift (deep sea) horse in the mouth when receiving help.
Please use plain text.
messilane
Community Member

in reply to messilane

Rats! I see that was mentioned in the link.

Never mind.

:smileyvery-happy:

“Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin
Please use plain text.
messilane
Community Member

in reply to tarr2112

There was a Red Man Tobacco Co, but like thelma said, the other is made up. :smileyhappy:

“Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin
Please use plain text.
tarr2112
Community Member

in reply to thelmasstuff

Good information, certainly makes sense because I've never heard of Redskin brand tobacco.  I am curious as to when these were produced.  I acquired mine in 1985.  They seem to go for $30-$50 on ebay and they do make an attractive decoration.  Thanks!

Please use plain text.
thelmasstuff
Community Member

in reply to recycle3

Here is a good description of this item from one for sale:

http://www.rubylane.com/item/448732-2007RP000134/Redskin-Chewing-Tobacco-Brass-Spittoon

This example is a fantasy item that has the appearance of being a promotional advertising item. The 'Redskin Brand Chewing Tobacco Cut Plug' spittoon is not authentic and seems clearly intended to be deceptive. Made with a copper bottom and brass top it is attractive in appearance. But, its shape is illogical for holding the type of contents it is supposed to have been made to hold. It is easily tipped and made of a thin, easily dented material which would not stand up to much abuse in a busy country store, train station, bar, or similar environment with heavy boot traffic.

These types of items are of no value to a knowledgeable collector and have the distinct ability to fool novice collectors. Especially if a seller's description gives information that is not accurate.

The iconic advertising emblem that it appears is intended to be incorrectly suggested by the simulated logo embossed on the spittoon is Pinkerton Tobacco Company's 'Red Man Chewing Tobacco'. Pinkerton's has been in existence since 1887. View the history of their Red Man Chewing Tobacco brand under the 'Heritage Gallery' portion on that company's Redman website.

We are not aware of historical records supporting the notion a 'Redskin Brand Chewing Tobacco' ever existed in the past. Even if there were, this item was never made, given or sold by such an entity as a 'promotional item' since this example and other similar pieces which can be found stamped with false advertising for railroads or with western/civil war marks, are all modern fantasy items. All the so-called Redskin Cut Plug, Pony Express, Wells Fargo, Union Pacific R.R. (or other 'train' motifs) or 'Confederate' CSA spittoons, etc.., were all originally designed and sold in recent times by a well-known and quite modern reproduction wholesale outfit. No copper and brass spittoon made in this specific tall shape should ever be expected to be an authentic advertising item. Authentic spittoons are squat in shape, making them very difficult, if not impossible, to accidentally tip over.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Redskin Brand Cut Plug Chewing Tobacco Spitoon

Does anyone know why, with hundreds of these Redskin Brand Cut Plug Chewing Tobacco brass spitoons listed on ebay, many with the wording "original" and "authentic," etc.  and scores more to be found immediately by Googling Redskin Brand Tobacco, that you cannot find a single link or ANY information whatsoever online that a Redskin Brand Tobacco Company ever existed or any reference at all to such a supposed company other than these ubiquitous spitoons?!!  Was there ever such a company in fact, does anyone know, and is there really any such thing as an "authentic," "original" Redskin Brand Cut Plug Chewing Tobacco spitoon?!!   If anyone has any information about the Redskin Tobacco Company or where such information could be found, I'd appreciate knowing where it is.  Thanks!

Please use plain text.