Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Large antique stained glass

this was from my Grandmother, it is 2' by4'

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

When did your grandmother get it? JMHO but it doesn't look 100 years old to me, more like 1960s-80s artisan piece.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

yeah, modern construction materials.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

My Grandmother died in the 1990's and was in a nursing home for many years before. She had this piece when I was a child, I am 63, I remember it in their bedroom. I think the frame was replaced at some point. What can you tell me about the age?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

It looks 1980's to me (all that pink!  and the dogwood if it is indeed dogwood).....but if you remember it as a kid, it can't be. 

Still, the style and the pattern are not anything like the very old stained glass I've seen.  Wouldn't think this was any earlier than 1960's but I'm no expert.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

thank-you, I just don't remember her buying antiques when I was in my 20's but I could be wrong. I want to sell it because I live in my cabin and there isn't much room Do you know what I should sell it for?
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Not dogwood, dogwood has 4 petals.

zannaty, what I was trying to say was, just because it was your grandmother's doesn't mean it's antique. I go on house calls where people are selling their mother's and grandmother's jewelry. I get there and everything was bought at Chico's or TJ Max. Even grandma gets new presents or buys new items Smiley Sad

If you remember it when you were young that helps, it would have helped to mention that, your age and when you remember seeing in the first place. You are 63, when was it you remember first seeing it? The frame being replaced makes sense because it looks fairly recent. The glass design with those flowers doesn't look that old but if you saw it when you were a child it could be older. Still not an antique but older than I first thought looking at it.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@zannaty wrote:
thank-you, I just don't remember her buying antiques when I was in my 20's but I could be wrong. I want to sell it because I live in my cabin and there isn't much room Do you know what I should sell it for?

Why not use it in your cabin instead?  Have it set into a door (stained glass looks great in interior doors, not just exterior ones and it adds extra light) or make it part of a room divider or cabinet.  It would be a very pretty contrast within a cabin.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I wonder if the flower might not be a very stylized pink mandevilla vine?

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I think you might be right about the mandevilla.  Good catch!

Message 11 of 11
latest reply