eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

How Do I Clean Silverplate?

I won this auction and need to know the best way to clean this teapot. It is badly tarnished. Does anyone know?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=720376471&rd=1
Please use plain text.
bamaj1
Community Member

Re: How Do I Clean Silverplate?

in reply to grammas*attic
You've probably already been advised via email what to do. Get a good quality CREAM polish and use some elbow grease. It should clean up nicely. There's no difference in polishing technique for silverplate or sterling. Good luck!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I personally like simichrome...but you do want a creme type polish that has no abrasives. The abrasives scratch the finish and can ruin a good set quickly. Also, never, never, ever ever use Tarnex or any of those other instant tarnish removers...they WILL destroy your item instantly...

Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words.~Calvin (Calvin & Hobbes)

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thanks for the advice, bamaj1 and grumpy3b!

This question comes up often, so I've made this thread permanent and linked it to our sidebar as an FAQ. (Thank you, meridenmor, for bringing it to my attention!)

If anyone has any more good tips/techniques to share, please do so.. we'll create a nice archive of expert answers that way. :smileyhappy:

Daphne
eBay Community Development
--------------------------------------------
Love to read?? ...

Join an eBay/Half.com Book Club!

Click here to view our current Workshop Calendar.
Click here to read the latest Community Chatter Newsletter.
Click here to contact eBay with your support or billing questions.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

First wash the piece in warm soapy water with a little ammonia in it. I find that frequently items are actually not tarnished, just dirty. In particular, if they have been in a kitchen, what looks like tarnish is just crud. Simichrome is good, you can find it at bicycle shops. Wrights also make a good polish. My personal choice is Haggarty's spray. It does a really nice job on bringing up the luster. But it smells horrible and should be done outside on a windy day. If you find that these don't work, you may have a lacquer on the piece. Try some nail polish remover to see if that takes it off. Lacquer works to keep silver shiny for a little while but when it tarnishes, it is hard to get at. Once you have cleaned the piece, go over again with polish on a soft nubby fabric (old flannel is really good).
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Haggarty's!!! That is thename I forgot...yup..thanks meriden...and yes it smells AWFUL....hehehehehe...but it does shine great and the spray is so easy to use.

Also, if you get something like Simichrome or Blue Magic in a leetle tube...a small amount goes a LONG way...even though the small tube is like $8-$9 it will last quite a while...

Another thing I just though of is if you wash the item don't put bleach in the water if you use ammonia...not only will you kill your silver...it will likely kill you too...makes a thing called mustard gas, and that is a bad...but, also never use bleach to clean silver as it will eat away the surface of the silver.

Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words.~Calvin (Calvin & Hobbes)

Please use plain text.
bamaj1
Community Member

This method gives me the shivers to even think about but I know some people swear it works. To clean heavily tarnished silver - line your kitchen sink with heavy duty tin foil. Add a cup of TIDE powdered detergent (not the liquid) and HOT HOT HOT water. Immerse your tarnished doodad in the water and let it sit 30 mins. It should come out amazingly bright and shiny; can be repeated for heavy tarnish build up. On another board the debate went on for several days about this sort of cleaning method; it does remove some of the silverplate, but it's said to be less damaging than Tarn-X or other silver cleaners.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

What are they called???? Those silver cloth rolls that hold flatware and helps to keep it from tarnishing - what the heck are they called??? I can't seem to find anyone who knows and I want to list some. Any help would certainly be appreciated!!!! Thanks much. Treasurehouses
Please use plain text.
bamaj1
Community Member

Treasure - Flannel flatware bags or pouches, I think.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

The fabric they are made from is sold as 'pacific cloth' and is expensive. Because the fabric is permeated with silver. The idea is that the silver in the fabric tarnishes, and your piece is then covered with tarnish which will not let the sulfer etc through to your object.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

This is the best way to clean silverplate and sterling. I had a lot of silver I had to polish the other night, tried Tarnex, Silver Polish, and Crest toothpaste, for over 2 hours I scrubbed, with no avail. Then I remembered what an estate person told me. Take a pan, put aluminum foil pieces in it, about a cup of Arm and Hammer Laundry boost (not detergent) and a cup of salt, with hot water. The electro something starts working immediately. I let my stuff sit about 5 min, and they came out beautifully! I have some pitchers up on auction now, if you would like to see how it came out. I was highly amazed at its magic!!! Enjoy :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Community Member

careful with that awful Tarnex and similar products use Tarnex is instantly identifiable and pretty much kills the value of your item util it is replated...also the "electrolysis" method of cleaning does remove silver too and in the long run can do harm to the finish...only real way I have even found is a good cleaning in soapy water then a lot of elbow grease to get it all shiny with something like hagarty's (or other cream type cleaner.)

Please use plain text.
Community Member

All the Easy-clean methods which involve immersion in a solution lift the dark areas (known as Frenching) from the ornate areas. It will be clean...and utterly lacking patina. Use a good quality silver polish (Like Hagerty's) and elbow grease, and preserve the patina, not the dirt. It is rather like the MDs oath...."First,do no harm".
Please use plain text.
bamaj1
Community Member

I adore patina. Keep some if you possibly can. A good cream polish and lots of elbow grease is the best and safest way to go. JMHO
Please use plain text.
Community Member

An antique dealer told me about a product that I have used with no apparent harm to the silver and it requires far less time and elbow grease than any cream polishes I have used. It is called Nevr-Dull, it is a wadding polish. It is sold in automotive supply stores. Can be used for any non-laquered metal. It is nothing like Tarnex - which really seems to damage the finish. I'm curious to know if anyone has negative comments on this product.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Please use plain text.
chasehouse1890
Community Member

I am sorry to disagree but tarnex is OK if you rinse it off right away and polish with blue magic (you can get at pep boys email me for more info). I would only use tarnex on very tarnished pieces. As another seller told me see:

http://www.silversmithing.com/care.htm

Chemical Dips

Chemical dips work by dissolving the tarnish on an object at an accelerated rate. Dips are used by silver restorers when heavy, black tarnish cannot be removed with liquid or paste polishes. Chemical dips are wiped over the object with a cellulose sponge or cotton ball to avoid over cleaning, for submerging the entire piece for long periods will cause pitting of the object's surface and remove factory-applied patinas. This surface will act like a sponge and more readily absorb tarnish-producing gases and moisture. The object may then require professional polishing to restore the original finish.

These dips are made up of an acid and a complexing agent. Acids are corrosive and will damage niello, bronze, stainless steel knife blades, and organic materials such as wood and ivory. The ingredients can be harmful to the user, which is why silver restorers work in a well ventilated area and wear nitrile gloves. Chemical dips should never be used on objects that have sealed components, such as candlesticks and trophies with hollow feet or teapots with hollow handles. Once the dip leaks into the cavity through small holes or imperfections in the joints, it becomes virtually impossible to wash the chemical out. For these reasons, this cleaning technique should only be used by a qualified restorer.

Please use plain text.
chasehouse1890
Community Member

I have used this method for over 15 years and no problem! (clean with tarnex rinse and polish with Blue Magic). A lot of disagreement on this board though, but no complaints from buyers or friends. Blue magic is the best restorer...they sell it at all the antique shows in Ohio. I even restored a silveplated set that was run through the dish washer for years!

http://doitbest.com/shop/product.asp?mscssid=MCUW1NSQ2ARM9GTS5JTXXR0LTDLL80FE&dept%5Fid=3224&sku=574716

Please use plain text.
lilsister2000
Community Member

Hi, I used Nevr-Dull on Silverplate Flatware once & it scratched so bad I had to sell in a Resale Shop for a lot less then it was worth. I also tried the Tin Foil with Hot water & Baking Soda but was a big mess for me so am going to stick with a good cream polish.lilsister
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Before I even start, I wash everything in hot water with dish soap - be careful not to use dishsoap with lemon in it. Light tarnish will often come off this way. If you have badly tarnished pieces, you could get a product called "Never Dull" which is a wad of heavy cotton (I think) in a tin can. You can usually get it at Walmart Ace or True Value Hardware stores. This really helps with some marks or mars to the silver that you think you cannot possible get out. I purchased some Wenol polish from someone on ebay a year ago, and I would not use any other product again. It is always on sale here at ebay, and other than that it is a real pain to locate. I use the old ebay seller at nancysilver.com to obtain mine.

Polishing silver can be onerous, but once it is done, and you stand back and look at these marvelous pieces, it is always with pride!
Please use plain text.