cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help classifying an "Empire" cabinet

The doors have been removed (but are stored) that should close over the cabinet shelves . I've been told that it is a Jackson Press - but in a few minutes of searching I haven't been able to find any comparable pieces online - the two drawers over cabinet over large bottom drawer configuration seems to be very unusual... Any ideas what this would be considered to be?

IMG_2172.JPG

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Can't help with your questions but I have one, is that bottom drawer a replacement? It doesn't look like the same wood and the brasses are different from the ones above. Maybe they are a different configuration of the same design? Just wondering.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

If you google images of empire sideboard you can find similar examples. Yours may be missing a shelf with a mirror below it, or perhaps it is as it always was.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I think you're right about the lower drawer being a replacement - I never looked that closely at the mahonagy veneer, but it is a lighter shade and a different pattern. I'm not sure that the hardware isn't consistent though because it makes sense to me that the small upper drawers would have smaller handles, but I do see a subtle difference in the "style" of the top and bottom handles... And then of course there's the matter that the lower drawer doesn't operate very well...

Thanks for the observations.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

To me the height of the piece is too great to be a sideboard... but I'm not sure what the standards are for classifications like this.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

This\ is a late Empire, American chest of drawers that has been mucked about with. The two large openings used to have drawers...... with the doors you mention being add-ons.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply