cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Please

Sorry I did not post the pic before, I didn't think Antiques was the place to post it because I know it's old but probable not Antique. Could it be Trench Art? It's all made of what I believe hand carved wood.

The way the lid opens, because it has no hinges, It appears to have something the size of a pencil lead through it instead of hinges. It is 7" long and 3" wide. Every piece is made of carved wood except for the pencil lead put through it for the lid to open and close. I believe it is for cigarettes since the birds beak is to open for toothpicks.

When you push the button sticking out on the back the birds head will go down and pick up a cigarette, when you pill it out it will let you take the cigarette. The lid will open so it might hold an entire pack of cigarettes.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Help Please

Trench art is more like things made of artillery shells. I think you may have meant Tramp Art and I am not so sure that it qualifies for that. Very interesting item and it appeals to me! I shall be studying on this and let you know if I have any revelations on it!

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Help Please

It appears that it was a popular theme executed a number of ways. Some call it folk art, which had crossed my mind. Here is a link showing some, some of better quality then others.   https://www.google.com/search?q=mechanical+bird+cigarette+dispenser+wood&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&v...

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Help Please

It appears they are still being carved. Here is a recent one similar to yours.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/MECHANICAL-BIRD-CIGARETTE-DISPENSING-BOX-HAND-CARVED-FROM-CROATIA-/132148008...

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Help Please

I looked at all the many, many pictures. Didn't see one exactly like mine but close. My Grandfather smoked and I was a little girl and would always ask if I could get his cigarette with the bird. I know this one is at least 40-42 years old, he gave it to me when I was a  very little girl. Thank You for all the help!

Also I know most trench art is made from metal but I did find a few items made of wood.  

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Help Please

I think Folk Art might be the best description in my opinion but I am not an expert. I have a couple of very special gifts from my Grandpa. That was about 50 yrs ago, he passed when I was 7. He was the best and spoiled me rotten and I thought he walked on water. It brought a big smile to my face when you shared that about your grandpa! Thank you and have a nice weekend!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply