cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antique Nine Drawer Chest on Chest

I acquired this piece in a storage locker and would like some assistance in identification and valuation.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

15 REPLIES 15

post some pictures of drawer construction. The bottoms and one showing the dovetails. Also, any exposed dovetails on the surface/exterior.  A picture of the interior of a drawer showing the backside of the hardware would also be helpful.  Does it have dustboards between the drawers?

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

from the pictures you have posted so far, it looks like you have an American Chippendale period chest on chest, mid-late 18th century. Probably maple.  Right up my alley... LOL.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Drawer Corner AssemblyDrawer Corner AssemblyInside of top drawer at the pulls. Looks like there may have been a modification at some pointInside of top drawer at the pulls. Looks like there may have been a modification at some pointTop chest no drawers, sorry its on its side. Pictures are a little wonky on ebayTop chest no drawers, sorry its on its side. Pictures are a little wonky on ebayTop Drawer of Bottom Chest inside drawer at the pullTop Drawer of Bottom Chest inside drawer at the pullTop of Bottom ChestTop of Bottom ChestInside Front of Top Drawer of Top ChestInside Front of Top Drawer of Top ChestInside Front of Top Drawer of Bottom ChestInside Front of Top Drawer of Bottom ChestBottom of Top ChestBottom of Top ChestBack of Bottom ChestBack of Bottom ChestBask of Top Chest, Sorry photo is rotated, top is to the leftBask of Top Chest, Sorry photo is rotated, top is to the leftBottom of Bottom ChestBottom of Bottom ChestTop of Bottom ChestTop of Bottom ChestTop of Top ChestTop of Top ChestTop of Chest in Place on Bottom With No DrawersTop of Chest in Place on Bottom With No DrawersBottom of Chest no DrawersBottom of Chest no DrawersInside Top DrawerInside Top DrawerBottom of Top DrawerBottom of Top DrawerSide View of Full ChestSide View of Full Chest

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for the reply, I just posted a bunch more pics. Sorry some are rotated 90 degrees, but this is my first time posting in the community and it rotates any of my pics taken in portrait view.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I just posted a bunch more pics. Any opinion on value would be appreciated. And if it's up your alley, it is definitely for sale.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

My opinion has not changed but it has been confirmed. Mid-late 18th century American Chippendale chest on chest.   The hardware is not original but is the right style for the piece.  Not 100% sure of the woods from the pictures alone but it looks like maple with pine secondary.  Probably not original finish.

I would not be interested in buying it unless you were local so I could inspect it beforehand, AND, it would have to be dirt cheap. This kind of stuff is not selling well right now and I am finding good pieces locally for pennies on the dollar, sad but true.  If you are in the greater Seattle area, I'd take a look at it.

I don't give valuations over the internet, sorry.  Appraisals are more complicated than just "giving out numbers" and I charge for that service. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

It's a beautiful piece, BTW.  

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Fair enough, I appreciate your input and expertise!

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Oh, and I am in Michigan...defintely not local. Thanks again!

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Everything that Flannagan said but I would add that the scrolled base has been altered/added to increase value (when there was a value to alter). Look at the age and wear of the very bottom board and compare it to the base; they should have similar old color & wear....and they don't.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Thanks! I sent the pics to a reproduction furniture maker and he too said that the base had been replaced, and notthat well. When you say, when there was a value, are you speaking to the overall American antique market, or this piece in particular?

Thanks again for the input.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Yes, just a general comment on 18th century furniture values and as you noted, the work on the base is what I call "heavy handed". I wish values were up as I find myself painfully passing on perfectly good early American pieces; I won't buy them anymore. Good luck with it!

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

American pieces still sell. I just sold a gorgeous tiger maple slant front desk. It's all about what you pay for something.  I am still buying good period American furniture. It's all about the price.  Besides, when it comes back into fashion, and it WILL, I will have a good supply.  

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Thanks!

Message 15 of 16
latest reply