cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antique Bronze picture frame

Good Morning

We found this amazing bronze photo frame this weekend and would love to know how old it is and any other info.

Again any feedback is much appreciated!

Lorenzo

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Cuban!  Now that's interesting.

Debora

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Hi Debora,

When you say Cuban do are you talking about the wood backing?

Lorenzo

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Well, I'm assuming the wood backing is original and carries the name of the retailer.  Is that not your assumption?  And I'd think you frame was brass, rather than bronze.

Debora

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I thought that backing was a bit crude to be original and looks like someone added. 

The reason I think its bronze instead of brass is with my super strong "neodymium magnet" it does not attract at all. I could be wrong but everything that we have that is brass always has a slight attraction with this strong magnet.

Let me know your thoughts.

Lorenzo

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Frame appears to be late late 1800s/early early 1900s but could be newer as still being reproduced.   The photograph is 1920s from the hair styles (as worn by Rudolf Valentino in attachment)  Both coat of arms look like fantasies but you can do research on.  (The three ostrich feathers are from the coat of arms of the Prince of Wales, to get you started.)  Two men in white tie.  Could be father + son.  Could be a wedding.   I would think backing original and clearly marked "Habana."  Have you removed to see back of photograph?

Debora 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Valentino went walkabout.  Here he is.

Debora

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for all of that info Debora it really helps.  The back of the picture has no helpful info.

Thanks again for all your input. 

Lorenzo 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Just want to add that...  I would think frame imported from Spain (probably) and backing, made from local wood, added by retailer.  If you post close-up of retailer's mark, I may be able to decipher and identify for you.

Debora

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

These are the two best pictures I could take with my macro lens. Let me know if that helps.

Lorenzo

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Sure does!   It's a piece of a vintage/antique Cuban cigar box.  Reads "Habana Hollandsche" or "Dutch Havana."   Coat of arms has elements of royal Spanish coat of arms.  (Crown + Castles + Lions + Fleur de Lis.)   Very well may be cigar brand logo, which you may be able to identify through research.  Keep in mind, when trying to ascertain age of your frame, Cuba was a Spanish posession until 1898.

Debora 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Could be EL REY DEL MUNDO.

Debora

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for all your help Debora you rock!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply