cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this? Small metal round box with lid --Snuff? Tobacco holder? Something military?

Does anyone have any idea what this is? It's metal and measures about 3 3/4" long. It has a hinged lid. The estate sale dealer didn't know, but wondered if it might be snuff or tobacco related, as the estate had collections of both. There was also a pretty hefty military collection, and since I don't know what it is, I'm throwing that in there. 
Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Jennie

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

What is this? Small metal round box with lid --Snuff? Tobacco holder? Something military?

It is a tobacco holder from NE India. It is made using the lost wax casting technique, (cire perdue).

I found a similar one here, yours is exceptionally nice and looks quite old, 50 to 100 years I would guess.

http://www.polyvore.com/cb2_vintage_tobacco-tea_holder/thing?id=94409004

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

If this was a military person, it is very possible he brought it back from India during/after WW2.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

That was awesome information. 

Thank you!

Jennie

Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply